When should i start teaching my son gun safety...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > When should i start teaching my son gun safety...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default When should i start teaching my son gun safety...

My son is 4 months old today and his name is Wyatt and I'm can't wait to teach him how to hunt and fish and all those good stuff a father should do with his son and I was just curious to here what people have to say about when I should i start teaching my son how to shoot and gun safety. In my mind I think as soon as he can understand and the sooner the better. Now I am a new father this my first son and I'm only twenty years my self so I'm still a kid I guess you could say. I want to here people's advice on how to do so and maybe some ways to safely work with him. And do not think for one minute I would put my son in a dangerous situation

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #2

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Start now. Let him know from day
1 to respect firearms.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by treevor View Post
My son is 4 months old today and his name is Wyatt and I'm can't wait to teach him how to hunt and fish and all those good stuff a father should do with his son and I was just curious to here what people have to say about when I should i start teaching my son how to shoot and gun safety. In my mind I think as soon as he can understand and the sooner the better. Now I am a new father this my first son and I'm only twenty years my self so I'm still a kid I guess you could say. I want to here people's advice on how to do so and maybe some ways to safely work with him. And do not think for one minute I would put my son in a dangerous situation
Happy birthday Wyatt! Get him started with .22's, don't let the recoil of big guns scare him so build him up then move to 9mm and all that. Start at age 4 with him pulling the trigger while you aim. For gun safety, it is tough to make a child know how dangerous guns can be IF used improper. The key here is fun, yes FUN. But safety comes first. Teach your son the way of the gun, how they function, how to shot and by age 6 he should be able to move up. Try at the earliest age that YOU feel safe with. Don't make him scared of guns though. But a strong backbone into safety is needed. Teach him the cardinal rule of finger off the trigger. Before your first range trip, sit down at the table and teach him about how and where to shoot on a target and the safety and layout of the range! Hope I could help and these are the ways I learned! Good luck and have many fun, SAFE, range trips together.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 06-25-2013 at 01:44 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #4

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

My son started very early. He is 14 now. But he still has the Red Ryder BB gun I bought when he was about 5. He also has the Marlin Single shot 22lr I bought it for him when he was about 6 or 7. He is very safe. I would trust him with any of my guns. And he does shoot them all. He has even shot my 44 mag Super Blackhawk with full mag loads!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think he still has a few years of no touching with consistent reinforcement. At some point, you'll have to show, to break the curiosity factor. It will depend on the child, but around 4 or 5, they can start to understand that it is OK with dad, but not to touch any other time. You can introduce concepts like holding it, never point it at people, don't put finger on trigger. Observe the behavior, is he listening to you, is it sinking in? Only you would know what your child is getting. If it is taking, good, reinforce regularly, and look for signs that the boy is physically able to control the firearm, while reinforcing that it is OK with dad, and all of the other rules. Introduce other safety gear such as ear and eye protection, can they leave it on and leave it alone? Is he still listening to your instructions? Then comes shooting, at that size, .22 of course, or air rifle if you prefer, but still insist on eye and ear protection to develop good habits. Start on the bench with sand bags and close in targets, build confidence, and move on from there.

I guess the answer is, that there is no right or wrong age. Dad needs to introduce in a safe way and observe with baby steps. I didn't say, but they need to be able to understand that a firearm can kill someone, and what that means. My 6 year old isn't quite ready, my 7 year old is about there, one more summer on the cub scout bb range for good measure and I'll probably have the .22 in his hands. My 11 year old can shoot almost anything at this point, although his marksmanship could use some improvement.

J

Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2772 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

The time to start is when he becomes mobile. Crawlers can go to standers and walkers before you know it. Kids are naturally curious. EVERYTHING needs to be tested/explored.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3232 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 18603

First off , formalities ..! Welcome munchkin Wyatt..! I see talent in the near future..! Look out Canadian record sniper shot..! And congrats to the proud father as well.!

I agree with the already posted..! Be safe , have fun and little Wyatt , got you on radar already..!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #8

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

My three sons are all grown now (37, 34 and 21) but they all started out with this rifle. i taught them gun safety and how to shoot, starting at age 6. i loaded AND cocked the gun for them for they didnt have the strength to cock the hammer. i took them small game hunting with me using blanks until i was confident with their ability to handle the gun safely by themselves then graduating them to real bullets.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/ithica_zpsc1be61b8.jpg

then at about 11, i took them with me deer hunting (at first, within my immediate reach), then (about a year later), in their own stand (but yet, still in sight and with a 2-way radio). with this gun:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/MINI-14.jpg

results:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/MIKESDEER2.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/NICHOLSONSTANDS.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/NICKSDEER.jpg

Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2861 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

ASAP, it is never too soon. The weapon(s) do not have to be loaded.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Liked 700 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Default Start them young....

First off... Congrads on being a Daddy!! Second.. Good on you for thinking ahead about this issue. It shows what type of father you'll be in the long run.

NOW.. to the issue at hand. Some of my earliest memories of firearms, my Dad & me revolve around him taking me out to the range as soon as I was able to get around (about 2 years or so...) NOT to go shooting, but to get me use to the sounds, smells and atmosphere of proper firearm safety. We'd sit (sometimes bring a cooler of sandwiches and drinks) and watch the competition. He'd point out things they were doing correctly and (sometimes) incorrectly and watch like a hawk for dangerous behavior.... Although I don't really remember any bad incidents. Most of the members at the club were longtime hunters and law enforcement (my Daddy was an LEO as well)......
By the time I was actually shouldering & shooting at around 6... I had not only a good grasp on proper firearms safety, but a storehouse of great father & son moments to build upon as well.

Good luck and I'm sure Wyatt will appreciate any and all effort you put into being with him and guiding him to manhood. Remember, fatherhood truly is the toughest job you'll ever love.