When did you meet your spouse? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > When did you meet your spouse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I met my starter wife at work when I was 19. It lasted 9 years.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I met the first one when I was 18, we made it 19 years. And I agree with Tango.

I met the love of my life when I was 38.

The only thing I can say about getting married young is having kids young. We had lots of support and fortunately didn't screw him up too bad. Now I'm 42 and he's all growed up and out of the house. Whew.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 489

Met mine as young teen, she is sister of a friend. Started dating senior year of college, married in our mid twenties and together for 23 years so far...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome story Slo. Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I haven't met mine yet, and if you see her, would you tell her i've left for Canada please.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I was a very big dumb kid of 22. Still happily married to this same gal and I just turned 55 last week. We've raised 3 successful kids and still laugh at each other often. A sense of humor is incredibly important for a long relationship...

(And yes, she allows me to have man toys)

Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I met mine in college at the age of 24. We married a few years later and celebrated 2 years together back in May. She does her best to keep me straight but that's a big task.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Met my present wife when I was 19, she was 18. Both our families were stationed overseas on an air force base. I had graduated the year before she did, and came back to the US for college. A year later, I flew back due to an illness in the family, and while there, I met her. We dated for a year out there, then as military life goes, her family got re-stationed somewhere else, but I promised her I would come back to see her. For a few months we wrote back and forth, then lost contact.

During the next 20 years, many of which I worked for one of Uncle Sam's alphabet groups - where I could have found anyone if they were in the database, I looked but could not find her. Then one day, about 6 years ago, I got an email from a high school buddy telling me about a web site from our old high school. I told him I was aware of it, frequented it, but could not find someone I was looking for. Well, as luck would have it, I went to the site that day during lunch and there she was...in the student directory. So I wrote an email, stating that when she woke up that morning, my name was probably the last one she would have expected getting an email from. We had both married someone, both were unhappy with that someone, both got divorced, and we were both single, except I had a son from my previous marriage.

Six months later, she left her job in NC (dean of a college there), sold her house, and my son and I helped move her to Oregon. A month later - I married her. She's my other camping, fishing, hiking, golfing, riding, shooting, and handy-man buddy. And from the looks of things...we'll live happily ever after
That is pretty amazing.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #19

Liked 321 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I met the woman I eventually married on a blind date of sorts at the drag strip in 1977. My friends GF had brought her with them at one of the events at the strip that I had a couple of customers that I had built motors for and were racing that day. They basically dumped her off on me and went to the grand stands to watch the races. I was in the pits all day. Her name was Kelly. I was 21 Y.O. and she was 17 Y.O. at the time. When I first met her I didn't know that she was 17 and didn't really pay too much attention to her. However, she followed me around that first day at the race track like a puppy dog. I was seeing another woman, Gwen, at the time that worked across the street from where I had my tiney shop and we had been going out from time to time for about going on a year. A week went by and I got a phone call from Kelly, my friends GF had given my phone number to her, and I told her that I was seeing someone else. I thought that would be the end of it. However, she showed up a couple of days later at my uber small shop and hung out and watched me dink around with a couple of motors I was building on that day. This went on a couple or so times a week from then on. Gwens family was in the diamond business and she had decided to go back to New York and go to work and learn the family business. So now Gwen was gone. I never had gone out with Kelly on a date per say but she would show up for a couple of hours or so a couple times a week and hang out in my shop. Actually she was kind of pesky, however, she was a stone cold shapely, size 3, well endowed fox. If she had been taller she could have been a runway model. Probably why at that time I let her hang around as much as I did. Then one day, Gwen had been gone for about 4 months now, Kelly very forwardly told me that her birthday was coming up and that she wanted me to take her out for her birthday. I figured WTH and agreed to take her out. It was at this time that I found out that she was still 17 and was going to turn 18 and that our birthdays were on the same day. Was difficult to know her age prior to this time as she had been going to college since before I met her. (some kind of advanced program for brainey youngers)

Man, from the time that I agreed to take her out on her birthday she was all over me like a duck on a june bug. I literally had to constantly push her away due to her phyhsical advances. I wasn't going to have relations with a minor and I continually kept telling her that.

Finally, the first real date, the joint birthday.

Well,the relations were on from that night on and a year later (1979) we were married. It lasted for 7 years of which the first 4-1/2 years were total heaven but the last 2-1/2 years turned to a living hell for me. We divorced in 1986 and within a year she had remarried. For myself; 2 weeks after the divorce was final I was dating another woman. So there was no thoughts ever of going back with my ex-wife in my camp.

One marriage was enough for me and even though I've had a couple of close calls, one woman in the late 80's and another woman early 90's, I have never remarried and intend to stay single. I date a fair amount and most always tell the woman up front that dating is all it's going to be with me. I do tend, for the last several years now, to find more women of the same mind set as me and we get along great. The others that want more than casual dating usually leave fairly quick and thats fine with me.

The lady I'm seeing now is of the same mind set as me, she has her life and I have mine, and we get togeather a couple of weekends or so a month and usually have a great time togeather. However, if by chance, she starts to push for more than dating I'll be gone. She knows the rules.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Met mine when I was about 7. Started dating about 10 years later, and got married 4 years after that. The one thing I've learned over all these years is that smarts are non-transferrable. I will never catch up to her, and she will never backslide to my level of stupidity.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."