When is it considered high powered?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > When is it considered high powered?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default When is it considered high powered?

Long story short, I was watching Cops and one of the officers referred to an AR-15 as a "high powered" rifle.
So today I was thinking to myself, when do most people consider a rifle to be "high powered"?
I mean, we all know that a .338, .50 and 20mm are high powered, but where does the distinction start?

Personally, I was thinking maybe .270 or somewhere around there. Maybe even a .308? What do you guys think about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old Today, 03:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Long story short, I was watching Cops and one of the officers referred to an AR-15 as a "high powered" rifle.
So today I was thinking to myself, when do most people consider a rifle to be "high powered"?
I mean, we all know that a .338, .50 and 20mm are high powered, but where does the distinction start?

Personally, I was thinking maybe .270 or somewhere around there. Maybe even a .308? What do you guys think about it?
I generally think of any rifle that can shoot consistently to 1000 meters or cleanly take large or dangerous game with a center mass shot as being "high power".

The AR-15 is a carbine and, as such, the cartridges that it fires are "intermediate power".

A practice rifle for children generally fires something .22LR, or something akin to the .22LR, and is what I would call "low power".

Obviously all three can kill, but even the 7.62x39MM ammunition that the AK fires is not what I would call "high power".

Old Today, 03:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I generally think of any rifle that can shoot consistently to 1000 meters or cleanly take large or dangerous game with a center mass shot as being "high power".

The AR-15 is a carbine and, as such, the cartridges that it fires are "intermediate power".

A practice rifle for children generally fires something .22LR, or something akin to the .22LR, and is what I would call "low power".

Obviously all three can kill, but even the 7.62x39MM ammunition that the AK fires is not what I would call "high power".

That's fair, the reason I said the .270 is it's usually one of the smaller calibers you'd be recommend for an elk. The .308 sometimes is as well, but for closer shots. I agree with the typical AR chambering (.223) as being an intermediate power. I also agree with the part of the .22LR and 7.62x39.

Old Today, 03:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

https://www.google.com/search?q=high+powered+rifle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

When all else fails.

Old Today, 03:59 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

High power, anything 30mm or larger that can be loaded with depleted uranium to penetrate heavy armor. High power sure isn't a varmint rifle.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old Today, 04:30 AM   #6

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

If it is going over 2,000 fps and makes over 1,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle, it seems like it could be high powered. The AR fits. Most pistol cal carbines would not.

Or as the Wikipedia article indicates, High Power Rifle competition falls in several classes. If we include the rifles allowed for Service Rifle competition, then the AR fits the category.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger...except submarines, they'll just plain kill you.

Old Today, 05:59 AM   #7

Liked 92 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Perhaps the cop was referring to the magazine capacity. Sometimes people confuse "High Powered" with "High Capacity."

Old Today, 02:23 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2991 Times on 1558 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Dakota hit the mark. Too many idiots get in front of the camera these days. If you do not know what you are talking about, shut the eff up. Few cops are truly "gun smart". They qualify once a year and can't hit the broad side of a barn under the influence of adrenaline.

"High powered rifle" has become just another Libtard buzz word. Like Assault Rifle an Saturday night special.

My troops are a bit more informed than most. They ask questions and I give detailed answers (much to their dismay sometimes). Pretty much everyone in my agency knows better than getting in front of a camera w/o calling me first. They call me the walking gun encyclopedia. I know a lot, and have a ways to go before I know "everything"

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #9

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 733

I'd have to agree that without a solid, common definition, "High Powered Rifle" would be just another buzzword designed to scare.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old Today, 02:51 PM   #10

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

I think that for the general public, anything that is not a 22lr is a high powered rifle. I don't agree. But it is what it is.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.