When is a bolt-action not a bolt-action?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > When is a bolt-action not a bolt-action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default When is a bolt-action not a bolt-action?

When its a HK R8:

HKSystems

A straight pull bolt action version of the H&K SL8 rifle, designed for Australia to meet our regulations:

A modified version of the SL8, known as the R8, is manufactured with a straight-pull bolt action and uses either a 5 or 10 round magazine. These changes were made to allow the rifle to be marketed to sporting shooters in countries with more stringent gun control laws, such as the United Kingdom and Australia. It retains the general appearance of the SL8 though has a similar sight and carrying handle to the G36 rifle, and is available in black or grey.

Customs didn't like it and stopped them from being imported, HK went to court over the matter but no luck:

In April 2008, the government of the Australian state of Victoria, moved to ban the HK R8 in the municipality, claiming that the rifle may be easily convertible to semi- or fully-automatic. Heckler & Koch disputed this claim, stating that the rifle was built from the ground-up as a bolt-action firearm. In April 2009, the Victorian Police Commissioner reclassified the HK model 8 to "Category D". This places the R8 legally into the same category as any centerfire semi-automatic rifle.

Heckler & Koch SL8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the UK can have straight pull AKs and ARs, bastards! But no, something specificaly designed for this country is still an assault rifle, even when it isn't. Must be the black & evilness

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This is such bullsh!t!! The Blaser R93 has a similar straight-pull bolt action and it's most certainly allowed in..

Not that he doesn't already for the crimes that he commited in 96, but that arsehole from Tasmania has a lot to answer for over the fear of black rifles in this country. The uneducated, ignorant bureaucrats in Canberra immediately decided that the rifles were the problem and not the deranged person who was running around using it. Its funny how they think that the appearance of a firearm can be more dangerous than the actual thing. It make me so pi$$ed

Old 10-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When will they come up with a pesticide for these idiot politicians.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
This is such bullsh!t!! The Blaser R93 has a similar straight-pull bolt action and it's most certainly allowed in..

Not that he doesn't already for the crimes that he commited in 96, but that arsehole from Tasmania has a lot to answer for over the fear of black rifles in this country. The uneducated, ignorant bureaucrats in Canberra immediately decided that the rifles were the problem and not the deranged person who was running around using it. Its funny how they think that the appearance of a firearm can be more dangerous than the actual thing. It make me so pi$$ed

I know Aus, I share your pain in spades

Trouble is, the 'evil/black' appearance thing was all just an excuse IMO, and I'll explain why I believe so. Howard wanted to do this for years, he admitted using it as a cynical political ploy to manipulate public opinion after Port Arthur. Makes me sick this week during the verbal punch-up with Costello he was still crowing about the '96 laws as "one of my proudest achievements". Unfortunately the majority would only agree

Prime Minister Howard also stated that he saw the outpouring of grief in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre as "an opportunity to grab the moment and think about a fundamental change to gun laws in this country".

Gun_politics_in_Australia#The_Federal_Government

Someone I know has an AR stock on his Rem 700, but you'd have no chance of this getting passed by Customs now...black+evil+expandable, even worse!

Not going to get into the myriad conspiracy theories (although I have strong personal doubts regarding the 'evidence' that Bryant was responsible, at least solely). IE right handed gunman ‘head-shoots’ twenty people in thirty seconds. A left handed retard, with practically no shooting experience, was convicted and a thirty year ban immediately placed on the evidence...but I'm digressing.

NSW Premier Barry Unsworth said this in 1987....which is VERY freaking weird, to say the least:

"There will never be uniform gun laws in Australia until we see a massacre in Tasmania."

W.T.F. man?!

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #5

Liked 3227 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 422

It looks menacing, and scary, therefore it must be banned.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
I know Aus, I share your pain in spades

Trouble is, the 'evil/black' appearance thing was all just an excuse IMO, and I'll explain why I believe so. Howard wanted to do this for years, he admitted using it as a cynical political ploy to manipulate public opinion after Port Arthur. Makes me sick this week during the verbal punch-up with Costello he was still crowing about the '96 laws as "one of my proudest achievements". Unfortunately the majority would only agree

Prime Minister Howard also stated that he saw the outpouring of grief in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre as "an opportunity to grab the moment and think about a fundamental change to gun laws in this country".

Gun_politics_in_Australia#The_Federal_Government

Someone I know has an AR stock on his Rem 700, but you'd have no chance of this getting passed by Customs now...black+evil+expandable, even worse!

Not going to get into the myriad conspiracy theories (although I have strong personal doubts regarding the 'evidence' that Bryant was responsible, at least solely). IE right handed gunman ‘head-shoots’ twenty people in thirty seconds. A left handed retard, with practically no shooting experience, was convicted and a thirty year ban immediately placed on the evidence...but I'm digressing.

NSW Premier Barry Unsworth said this in 1987....which is VERY freaking weird, to say the least:

"There will never be uniform gun laws in Australia until we see a massacre in Tasmania."

W.T.F. man?!
I thought it was just me who had doubts, that's why I put 'that bloke from Tasmania', not Bryant! I thought I was being subtle but you were straight onto me lol...

Nevertheless, I think it's best to keep quiet; we're into guns so we're scary enough without being conspiracy theorists as well...

Old 10-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

OK, this is just between you & me mate!

Wouldn't be surprised if ECHELON is onto us already anyway lol

Quote: