Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > When all was well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

I think this is the new normal ....

Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #12

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

There is a pretty good article in the article section of this site describing the number if gun owners and the amount of .22 ammo and the numbers involved in getting us to this point.

http://http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/where-has-all-the-22-gone.html

Old 07-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #13

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

Matter of fact, it was a Ford Galaxy 500- we used to drive over to the local gun shop OR hardware store OR Sears OR Montgomery Wards OR JC Penney OR,...well you get the idea.

LOTS of places sold guns- and ammo. Small stores. BIG stores. Not tucked away in some corner. Right over there in Sporting Goods, just beyond the basketballs, but before the fly rods.

Dealers ran SALES on ammo. Buy one, get one half off. There was an OCEAN of military surplus ammo- 30-06, 7.62 NATO, .30 carbine- even 6.5 Arisaka, .303 Enfield, 6.5 Carcano and 8mm Mauser. While looking at the ammo, go pick out a rifle in that caliber- there are barrels of them over there.

New ammo, bulk ammo, surplus ammo. .22 ammo? Shorts, long, Long rifles? Rat shot? Hollow points? Match ammo or plinking ammo? Boxes of 50, bricks of 500, or bulk packs? Sometimes the dealer did not have room on the shelf (start of hunting season) so boxes would be stacked on the floor.

And while that was happening, people like me gradually bought a little more than they would shoot, and my supply increased. When I caught a really good sale, I would lay in a supply (9mm 115 gr for $5.45 a box? Yeah, I'll take 2 cases). Found a small dealer closing down, with 50% off all ammo. Took my truck with me. Did not trust the shocks on the cars for that much weight.

If a dealer was out of stock on something they would order it for you- or call around to find who had some.

AND WHEN HAGGLING OVER THE PRICE OF A NEW GUN, A DEALER WOULD USUALLY TOSS IN A BOX OF AMMO.
While I never bought ammo by the caseload, much less the truckload, I do usually buy several boxes per month and have built up a moderate supply. The only problem is that I stock for 14 different calibers, so while my choice is wide, it's not as deep in some calibers as I would like. I've been through at least two runs on ammo with the resulting shortages since 1998, and always keep a reasonable stockpile. The good thing about multiple calibers, though, is that there's always something on the shelves to fit one of my guns.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I only shoot 4 calibers, and it doesn't help that they're the most post popular ones.

So ammo runs/shortages are recurring? Why don't people learn to ride it out and not go crazy? This ones been going on for 8 months now. I find that kind of amazing. The sheer amount of ammo people rushed to buy has left the shelves mostly empty for almost a year. I didnt that that was possible. And the DHS hoarding doesn't help.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #15

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Default Ammo...???

In my area (central North Carolina)... 9mm (Luger and Mak), 40S&W and 22lr are still scarce. 223, 5.56, 308 & 30.06 in rifle... 45ACP, 380, 38 special & 357 in pistol are slowly reappearing on shelves. I have no reason not to think that the inventory on the others will not ease up as well by the begining of this Winter.... That is, until the next event causes the next panic (and that is what it is.. a panic, not a conspiracy, no secret Government plot, nothing but a panic) starts this whole crap all over again.

The truth of the matter is when times are tough you find out who you can count on... and I will NEVER do business with Cheaper Than Dirt or buy ammo at a Walmart ever again. There are also a couple of private relationships I have that where trust is no longer there.... All in all, this is a great study in human nature.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #16

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

This may not be news to anyone but I recently bought ammo at a New Hampshire wal mart and I had to show my ltc ....... since when do you need any kind of license other than drivers to buy ammo?? A friend of mine who lives in Mass. Also went to a different wal mart in New Hampshire and they refused to sell him ammo because he wasn't a NH resident ...... wtf is up with that $^it wal mart!!!