whats your whacky hobby? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > whats your whacky hobby?

View Poll Results: whats your whacky hobby? what do you collect to obsession?
cats 1 3.03%
dogs 1 3.03%
toy cars 1 3.03%
dolls 0 0%
autographs 2 6.06%
books/mags 4 12.12%
lawn mowers 2 6.06%
cars/trucks 5 15.15%
other weird stuff 21 63.64%
t-shirts 1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My hobby (besides guns) is R/C Sailplanes. To me there's nothing quite like making a box of wood fly! And getting it to fly for 10- 15 minutes without an engine. I launch my plane and try to catch a thermal. If I find one the fun begins, if not I try again. Just like fishing, only better, if you ask me.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

towboater Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #112
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6695 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 7221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Is that sheet copper backsplash? Nice! You do great work.
Thanks Viking and Winds, Yes it is Copper, being the Electronics guy I am, I love copper. Besides, I gave my wife 6 months to pick out a tile backsplash, she dithered too long. I had seen some faux copper (Plastic) ones that were ok but I dont like plastic so I headed on down to a high end roofer I have worked with and had him break the pieces from a great big old 2 ton roll he had kicking around for fabricating copper roofs. It looks great, no maint and the wife finally said it was OK, it can stay...

I saved enough using repurposed wood that I could afford to do Granite countertops. Its an oxymoron to handle an 800lb piece of finished stone with Kid Gloves, OMG that was heavy!

All that said, I will never, ever do another kitchen as long as I live! Is a real challenge even though Im a better than fair carpenter, Cabinet making is an art and making them fit in a house hat isnt close to square or plumb is a real nightmare.
ipad-pics-aug-12-456.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #113

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a huge home brewer. I do beer, wine and mead. I even grow my own hops for my beers. If I could only convince my wife to move to the country to grow my own grapes and barley!!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #114

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckey37
I'm a huge home brewer. I do beer, wine and mead. I even grow my own hops for my beers. If I could only convince my wife to move to the country to grow my own grapes and barley!!
Me and my family have been wanting to start home brewing beer but don't know where to start is there a good first step any advice would help.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Me and my family have been wanting to start home brewing beer but don't know where to start is there a good first step any advice would help.
A buddy of mine had a lot of fun with the Mr Beer kits, but it isn't as economical. The hard ciders were the best, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

just how many bar skins you got in hangin in your house......Just thought I'd stop and say gello.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #117

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396

Go to morebeer.com and check out their starter equipment kits and extract ingredient kits. They are the best homebrew supply place I have ever found and I have been brewing since 1999. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Ken

Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #118

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona

Go to morebeer.com and check out their starter equipment kits and extract ingredient kits. They are the best homebrew supply place I have ever found and I have been brewing since 1999. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Ken
Thanks alot

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #119

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I collect knives. Not fancy ones or old ones tho some are getting there. I just like buying a new knife every year or six months. When I see one I like that is.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #120
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8712 Times on 5037 Posts
Likes Given: 11324

OK, here are some pics of my late Dad's hobby- at least for the last 23 years of his life. This is the entryway. The timbers framing the entry patio are salvaged old growth redwood that I saved from a demolition of a Gold Rush building in San Francisco. Dad found several lead bullets embedded in the wood, some were miniballs, a musket ball and some .30 caliber cast (still have them around here somewhere). Inside that redwoodframe is a 2" coper pipe semi-arch that we built together out of copper pipe salvaged from the Pelican Bay prison (the neighbor is a steamfitter who did the plumbing at PB.). I rolled the top piece into a gentle arch, then Dad fishmouthed the ends to fit tightly, then I brazed the joints together with Harris #0 brazing rod and an acetylene torch (see the detail).

If you look at the triangle areas above the entry there are small vertical copper tubes that were salvaged from old refrigerator cooling coils. They were straightened out somewhat, but left a little twisted and bent to appear more organic looking andmounted on three planes to look like the grew naturally from the wood. The same treatment is used in the porch swing frame to the right(a little hard to see in the pic).

The roof to the entryway is a semi-floating solid copper sheet. Semi-floating due to the expansion issues with heat variations.

The front door itself is old growth redwood salvaged from old wine tanks. It is a solid 2 inches thick.

dscn0721.jpg   dscn0722.jpg   dscn0723.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This