What's your take

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What's your take

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

On this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3a7dQqyZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I mean, honestly, there may be footage missing, but the cops seemed 1000000% in the wrong here.

I don't care that the kid was crying, he should see how the real world can be.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-24-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

1. There was a complaint made to the police.
2. The police were trying to "secure" the area.
3. Rebelious behavior did put the police in the position that they felt they needed to "secure" the "threat".

Both are not "correct" in how the situation was handled (video is missing some portion. Especially, how was the vet first approached?).

Open carry in Florida does have reservations where and how it can be done. Concealed carry, too.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
1. There was a complaint made to the police.
2. The police were trying to "secure" the area.
3. Rebelious behavior did put the police in the position that they felt they needed to "secure" the "threat".

Both are not "correct" in how the situation was handled (video is missing some portion. Especially, how was the vet first approached?).

Open carry in Florida does have reservations where and how it can be done. Concealed carry, too.
Sounds like there were multiple calls made to the police. But what's to secure? That excuse could be made for any form of open carry if we let it be used, sounds like a poor one to me. Kind of like reasonable suspicion. Reasonable is not definable and unacceptable to me when it comes to enforcement of anything. I guess it's open to interpretation. I didn't think the guy was acting in a manner that warranted anything, but as stated, who knows what they chose to leave out... lol

Thanks for your thoughts here!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3110 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

The "secure" thing for the LEO is for them to have control of any and all firearms in responding to a complaint.

Scenario 1: Husband and wife are arguing. Neighbor complains to LEO. LEO responds and finds that husband has a firearm in his holster on his side. Normal response to a domestic disturbance complaint is that it could escalate to something bigger. First LEO action is to disarm husband.

Scenario 2: Complaint made of "Man with a gun". LEO responds. Does LEO know the man's intentions? No, so disarm, then discuss. If man has nothing to worry about, man will comply. If man is up to no good, then man tries not to comply.

Scenario 3: LEO observes lady doing a traffic violation. LEO follows lady then turns on the lights. Lady pulls over. If lady did not pull over, then suspicion takes over that lady is up to no good and "flight = guilty" of something.

Securing a scene of firearms is for most LEO's standard procedure. They do not want things to escalate to a level where firearms could be used.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #5

My problem with all these open carry activists is their refusal to cooperate with police. Even when asked for their name often they won't divulge that. If they're so proud of their activism then why are they hiding behind it?

I understand not wanting to be disarmed and fighting that, but not being cooperative is what always seems to lead to it. So you're absolutely right there Dan.

There have been several of these videos done here locally. The cops always seem to be a lot more understanding and accepting. Seems is the same guys in different towns. I'd guess videos like the one above was a cautionary tale for police across the country. Why risk the job loss over someone just looking to set you up.

Then again isn't that what cops do to us in speed traps. So perhaps it's karma. Lol