What's your Christmas traditions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What's your Christmas traditions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7147 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Default What's your Christmas traditions?

When my kids were young, it was always reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to them when I tucked them in bed Christmas Eve night. Then it was the mad race to wrap all presents before they woke up. I'd usually watch Christmas movies on TV while I wrapped. Then me and my brother and sister (when she lived in state) would meet at my Dad's for dinner. Sometimes a cousin or two would drop by.

After my daughter had a child, my two other children and I would meet at my daughter's place Christmas morning and watch the little one open presents. Then my daughter and I would make a huge brunch for us all.

Now that my oldest son has his fiance and she has an 8 year old and my youngest is dating a young lady with her own child, we are all spending Christmas morning at our own places and meeting at my oldest son's house for dinner. I'll take my Dad from the nursing home and bring him, too. Everyone pitches in by making side dishes. This all worked wonderfully for Thanksgiving and for Christmas, my future DIL's family will be there, too. It will be a lot of fun. After dinner (standing rib roast) we'll exchange gifts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

We used to go to my grandparents for Xmas. It's not been that way two years running now, with them switching to other families houses in South Carolina, to this years loss of my grandfather, and obviously with my job.

I know that my new favorite part is watching my daughter open presents. I'm sure as time goes on my wife, daughter and I will come up with new traditions. Merry Christmas!!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

growing up my family always came to my house. a few spent the night prior, everyone helped make food and prepare. Chirstmas morning we would read Luke 2:2-20 and place the natavity in our homemade manger scene along with the reading. only aftward opening presents. after the cleanup we all focused on food... now that im older and married with kids we are going to have everyone over to our house for lunch. the inlaws might spend tonight. we wrap presents as we buy them so theres no rush and even if there found they still not known. also makes it easy on us. i think we will be watching polor express tonight, and then have some drinks and just relax untill the kids awake tomorrow. we cancelled last year because my daughter was born on the 21st. so this will be our first attempt at our house.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I was a kid we would open presents at home and then go to my grandparent's house. It was stress free and beautiful. I strongly dislike the holidays now.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7147 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
. I'm sure as time goes on my wife, daughter and I will come up with new traditions. Merry Christmas!!
That's true. You will develop traditions of your own. That's the beauty of it all. The traditions are ever evolving just because that's how life is. Each generation will have fond memories of when they were children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
When I was a kid we would open presents at home and then go to my grandparent's house. It was stress free and beautiful. I strongly dislike the holidays now.
I'm so sorry, ZG. My holidays have been very stressful ever since my Mom died in 1994. She was the glue that held us all together and the one with common sense and added that "Mother's touch". Now that my Dad is in a nursing home, the holidays have been taken out of his and my brother's hands, my family and I have started our own traditions. I take my Dad from the nursing home so he can enjoy the family, too.