What's the stupidest thing you've heard - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What's the stupidest thing you've heard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8259 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 10672

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There are times if stupid was money, I could have bought Australia. There have been several involving explosives and demolitions (I hold blaster's licenses in 5 states, certified to teach in 1, and serve on the licensing commission in another)

HOWEVER- the ULTIMATE stupid- involved a discussion of the .300 Winchester Magnum. Several years back.

I had stopped in a small LGS in Tidewater VA. Owner and another gent were discussing tuning .300 Win mag loads. Youngster that had come into shop jumped into discussion, began badmouthing the .300- there were so many better rounds, more accurate, yadda yadda yadda.

After a minute, owner of shop asked me "C3, don't believe you have met my friend-" Said no have not had the pleasure. "This is Carlos Hathcock." I stopped. This is like saying "I'd like to introduce you to Elvis." Yes, was Gunny Hathcock.

Not only USMC top score sniper in Vietnam, he had been the Camp Peary 1000 meter International Rifle Champion. Used a .300 Win Mag.
I love it! What was the reaction from the kid?

I just told this story in the Rimfire forum.

Years ago I asked a know-it-all co-worker what the difference between a carbine and a rifle was and he answered with "A carbine uses corrosive primers and a rifle uses non-corrosive primers". This from the self professed expert on guns in the shop.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

One time me and the undersheriff walked into an airsoft store because we wanted to get a few hard shooting airsoft guns for SRT training since the sheriff wouldnt buy us simunition. The guy working there saw our sidearms and badges and asked if we were cops. I said " no,we are heading to a field to play cops and robbers and we need to buy some stuff" the undersheriff starts laughing and you can tell that the guy gets pissed. After being there for about 10 minutes we find some pistols that claim to shoot like 325fps so we get 3 of them. The guy wont talk to me so he asks the undersheriff what we are gonna use them for,so he tells the guy that we are using them for our tac team. So then the guy says that we should get our team together with his team and have a battle. I couldnt help but laugh

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #23

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

HUMMMMMM

"For compressed loads I use a wooden dowel and a hammer to compress it."

Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

I was in the local Blockbuster about 7 years ago with my dad and my wife when I overheard this.

Kid 1, " I don't like that game, it sucks."
Kid 2. "Why not? I think it kicks a$$.
Kid 1. Well,everytime I like, shoot the RPG at the other guy, with my like, back to a wall, or in a closed room, I lose like, mega life force or die. I see RPGs shot from rooms like, all the time in movies, and they never die. How can they like, eff up the game like that?"

I didn't know rather to laugh or cry at that point. I wonder if that nimrod learned about the pressures that are involved in the exaust release from any rocket launcher when it is fired? I understand that he is now in the military. It turns out that he is my current neighbor's grandson.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #25

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You know, I could probably go to school for a day, listen to people jibber jabber and then fill this thread. But for the sake of keeping things simple.....I had somebody try and convince me to his hearts content that a kinetic bullet puller (on shaped like a hammer) was called a "bull-pup" which needles to say, took me a few seconds to clue into what he was saying.

The other sad thing, this same person tried telling me that when using this tool, you put the round in so that it's being held by the bullet and not the case.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #26

Mall Ninja at Reeds Sports Shop in San Jose. He has an AR-15 Match Rifle with what he claims is a defective scope. "This is an AR scope." he declares. Indeed it was marked "AR" as in "Beeman AR". (For those of you from Rio Linda, Beeman makes Air Rifle products.)

Last edited by djl4570; 01-21-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Bjorked quotes.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #27

A group of Spanish speaking teens shooting a Weatherby at United Sportsmen off Highway 4 in Concord California. They consistently shot groups the size of a dinner plate. When they departed I scrounged their brass. It was .300 Winchester Magnum fired in a .300 Weatherby. I dubbed the fireformed cartridge .300 SFB.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #28

Ok, this one time i had a 130+ message conversation with an armchair commando/COD fanboy about the effectiveness of optics. He belived that magnified optics are pointless below 500 yards. Here are some facebook screenshots (i'm Paul, my friend is Daniel, and the armchair commando is Joshua)
Here we find out he has never shot a gun

image-1411144265.jpg

Here he says .308 has no recoil, and says he "prefers" .338 lapua, even though he hasnt shot a single bullet in his life.

image-320932742.jpg

My facebook app on the itouch only allows me to see the last 50 messages or so, and there was even more stupidity earlier on.

Last edited by Soda; 01-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

The most stupidest things I've ever heard is what's being said by any presidential candidate in the Republican party today, sans Ron Paul, of course.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #30

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a friend who has hunted in the past but has never really been into guns much. He has a bolt-action rifle and maybe a shotgun but I don't know if he ever fired them if he was not hunting. He is pretty much of the conservative pursuasion politically and when it looked like Obama was going to get elected he decided he should get a handgun and assault rifle while he could. He read a few gun magazines and talked with his gun enthusiast friends and bought a Glock in .40 cal. It even came with a laser sight. He bought a case of ammo for it. This is his first handgun ever. He has had it for a few years and has yet to fire it. He also bought a nice Bushmaster M-4 with a red dot sight. Again, he has yet to fire it.

I have had a Colt Series 80 1911 for about 30 years and I have shot it regularly the whole time. I also have a Springfield NM M1A that I shoot quite often. I have taken these guns apart and put them back together enough times to be very familiar with their design and function. My friend told me he is better prepared than me for a SHTF scenerio because his weapons are newer and better designed for such action. He says my guns are heavy and old fashioned. I explained to him that his guns are not going to do him much good if he doesn't know how to use them. I have tried many times to take him target shooting and help him.

I guess my point is that it is not wise to think merely having weapons and equipment around is going to be enough for self-defense, no matter how nice and modern they are. Firearm familiarization and proficiency is key in my opinion.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 01-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.