Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What's the stupidest thing you've heard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/whats-stupidest-thing-youve-heard-55942/)

Soda 01-20-2012 10:38 PM

What's the stupidest thing you've heard from an armchair commando, mall ninja, or COD fanboy? In person or the internet, as long as you were involved.

Definition of armchair commando:

An armchair commando is a lowlife nerd kid who sits at home shows off his military knowledge and argues about anything that has to do with military and politics involving military and pretends to know more than scientists do about ballistics, measurements, Parts of a weapon and more... Even though they have never shot a single gun ever in their life.

Mall ninja:
A term used in the firearm community to describe an individual who is obsessed with tactical, paramilitary style firearms and modifications, particularly firearms composed mostly of plastic. Such individuals are usually un-experienced novices who compulsively overpay for weapons and accessories not worth their weight in dog crap because such items looked cool in movies and video games.

danf_fl 01-20-2012 10:48 PM

Ian Fleming's James Bond.
"It all starts in Ian Fleming's "Dr. No," when M, the head of MI6, orders Bond to turn in his Beretta pistol and replaces it with a superior gun, the Walther PPK. "

c3shooter 01-20-2012 11:03 PM

There are times if stupid was money, I could have bought Australia. There have been several involving explosives and demolitions (I hold blaster's licenses in 5 states, certified to teach in 1, and serve on the licensing commission in another)

HOWEVER- the ULTIMATE stupid- involved a discussion of the .300 Winchester Magnum. Several years back.

I had stopped in a small LGS in Tidewater VA. Owner and another gent were discussing tuning .300 Win mag loads. Youngster that had come into shop jumped into discussion, began badmouthing the .300- there were so many better rounds, more accurate, yadda yadda yadda.

After a minute, owner of shop asked me "C3, don't believe you have met my friend-" Said no have not had the pleasure. "This is Carlos Hathcock." I stopped. This is like saying "I'd like to introduce you to Elvis." Yes, was Gunny Hathcock.

Not only USMC top score sniper in Vietnam, he had been the Camp Peary 1000 meter International Rifle Champion. Used a .300 Win Mag.

trip286 01-20-2012 11:25 PM

Irrelevant to thread

trip286 01-20-2012 11:29 PM

Irrelevant to thread

dragunovsks 01-20-2012 11:42 PM

My sister and brother in law saying they cant afford groceries, the light or water bills or car insurance. They drive with no car insurance, get groceries from the community center and thier water and electric is always getting turned off, then telling me, "We just bought a new ATV and lets go four wheeling"

Or them coming up with one excuse after another why they cant go to work!

Riverg420 01-20-2012 11:50 PM

I work as a riverguide part time and i get this stupid question from time to time and all time favorite ( Are we gonna end up where we started ?) I usually shake my head and ask them how many river's do you know that flows in circles .

Riverg420 01-20-2012 11:52 PM

Oh yeah c3 thats AWESOME on getting to meet Carlos

Vincine 01-20-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 683517)
There are times if stupid was money, I could have bought Australia. . . . . Used a .300 Win Mag.

Sort of a similar story, not gun related though.

Picking up guitar strings for a friend, I walked in on Robert Zimmerman at Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleecker Street. In walks a young kid with his guitar and the two of them start jamming. The kids starts telling (asking? requesting?) Robert to play this way or that chord as they continue to play.

A week or so later I’m exchanging the strings (got the wrong ones) and in walks the kid again. This time he’s all breathless. He announces he was just playing with David Peel (!) in Washington Square (Oh Boy!). He was very excited about it!

Matt and I look at each other. I ask the kid if he knows who he was playing with in the store last week. He shugs no. “Who?” Matt explains to him he was playing with Bob Dylan.

Soda 01-21-2012 12:04 AM

Great stories and all, but i started the thread asking for stories related to guns and armchair commandos.