Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What's a reasonable price for an FFL dealer to receive a shipped gun for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's a reasonable price for an FFL dealer to receive a shipped gun for you?

I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm considering buying a used shotgun online and want to know what you guys think an FFL dealer should charge to accept the shipment. The closest place to me wants $60 plus tax but I don't want to deal with them anyway because they treat customers like dirt.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Seems High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm considering buying a used shotgun online and want to know what you guys think an FFL dealer should charge to accept the shipment. The closest place to me wants $60 plus tax but I don't want to deal with them anyway because they treat customers like dirt.
Schneiderman, that seems awful hi to me. Around here (INDY) area the FFL transfer fees are $10.00 to $35.00. I have not use them, but thats the going rates.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Shop around! My FFL charges $20 total.

Look here:
Find An FFL
GunBroker.com FFL Holder Network
GunsAmerica - Find An FFL Dealer - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H
STI International, Inc. - FFL Locator

or go here and get a type 03 lic and avoid them all together!
Distribution Center Order Form
select: F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

It costs $30 and you can have guns shipped directly to your home. YOU ARE NOT A DEALER

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, near and dear to my heart. I threw a rant up on the forum a while back over this. That is WAY too high for 10 minutes worth of work. I got it, I got it..."gotta turn a profit, gotta pay the bills blah blah blah". But cmon! Shop around, and especially if the dealer is a dirtbag. Going rate around here is still way too high (30-50). To recieve the gun (oh gee, here comes the mail, have to get off my nicotine intoxicated fat a$$ and sign the receipt (45 seconds)), enter the gun in their logs (three minutes including opening the box), handing you the form when you come in after you call them to see if it is in; you fill out the yellow sheet (four minutes of their time blabbing to you how they have been selling a lot of those) and then a three minute phone call. Three seconds to wipe the big mac grease off their hands to grab your forty bucks and push their FOPA outta the way so they can jam it in their pocket before you walk out.
So no, that is way too high. Find a guy that wants to make a customer, not make a quick 60 bucks.
Sigh.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

going rate here is $15 to $30

Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. Canebrake I will have to go through those links when I come home from school and work in a couple days.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Canebrake I will have to go through those links when I come home from school and work in a couple days.
Look through the ones closest to you and NOTE: confirm the price over the phone before you drive over or order your gun!

The first one I found for $15 I drove over and ask what their procedure was.

The first thing out of their mouth was “Well you pay the $45 fee then..” I said wait, your site says $15. They said "Yea it’s old and needs updated."

At least that’s what I think he said. I was walking out the door!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #8

I wouldn't go to a place that treats me like dirt.
Place where I bought my guns, dealt with an older gentleman both times. We talked, asked me about school and such. Great guy. I plan to buy my next gun from him.

S.S.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
going rate here is $15 to $30
Hey cpttango30 you need to go back to your tin foil face.

- orangello

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Local gun stores around here will transfer for $40.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill