Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What's New in the Tactical World??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default What's New in the Tactical World??

Well, let's see - It was UPS Delivery day at the shop. GOD! But I love the site of that big brown truck - we always get such cool stuff. Too bad it frequently goes to other people or is stamped "For Evaluation Only - Not for Resale".

But, today I did get to see some cool new stuff that will be rolling out, probably, in the near future at a store or internet webpage near you.

M.A.R.S. ( I have no idea, that's how it's stamped ) is making an "All Inclusive Tactical Rail", currently for the Remington 700 platform. Big surprise there. This is a full length 1913 rail, with a 20MOA scope base over the rifle action, plus another 12 inches of 1913 tac-rail in front of that. The front of the rail is inlet to house a U.O.N.S. ( Universal Optical Night Sight ). With the advent of the new scope/heads up quick acquisition sights, the new tactical platform is to just mount one unit, sort of a One Unit Helps All - Night Scope. This rail is perfectly inlet for the correct placement because the inlet is designed so you can move the UONS from close up to all the way out at the end of the stock, yet the barrel stays free floated and unobstructed. On each side is a 4" 1913 rail that is mounted 90 degrees to the main rail, with the first set of hex head screws just in front of the head action screws. Of note, the action mount screws are #6, as opposed to #8, so some retapping will be in order. In addition, on the sides of the mail rail there are hex head screw holes every 2 inches for a total of 8". This gives you the ability to move the 4" rail a total of about 10" of travel total. You can mount any tac light or laser in any number of positions for use and clarity. It's pretty slick. It's made from high grade aluminum and painted tactical black, like half the other stuff we see. At $400, I think I can probably do without one at this point. Then again, I don't own a Remington 700, so I guess I am covered....

Carbon Fiber AR Barrels - That's right. A small shop in Oregon is producing a light weight AR barrel. The first stripped barrels showed up late last week and I got to see one today for the first time. It weighs 1 3/4 pounds, but it doesn't have the gas block ( which has to be fabricated out or aluminum ), a muzzle break or anything else attached yet. The expectation is to get the whole unit to come in around 2 pounds. By comparison a similarly stripped GI barrel weighs in at 3 pounds without any of the same gear attached. All things being the same, I don't know if shaving 1.5 pounds off your AR is worth the price. Maybe the production run will bring the costs down, but the full done model, ready for threading on to your upper, is expected to come in around $1,000.

Heard on the chatter line - Hasn't been currently seen in public yet...

Leupold is supposedly working on a carbon fiber version of their shooting scopes. The "market" is expected to be anyone shooting rifle classes by weight & hunters with lightweight, "hike in" style rifles. The new scopes feature windings being made for them by Lamitech High Pressure Laminates.

Don't know if they will stand up to Leupold's strict production standards - we will have to wait and see.

Oh, and for cpttango30's benefit - I did double check on the new remington Uber Actioned rifle. The first two production rifles are estimated to be around $500K with R&D and production features factored in and the caliber is DEFINITELY .338 LAPUA. But, in their defense, the military tests call for a bolt gun capable of sub-moa performance, out PAST 1,000 yards and must be chambered for .338 Lapua.

Anyways, that's all I got at the moment guys...

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #2

Sooooo, today the field test was done with the new Carbon Fiber Barreled AR's that we rolled up. A complete, full sized AR with a 20" barrel, full length hand-guard ( also carbon fiber ) with one full 1913 rail and three smaller half rails & the A2 stock came in at exactly 7 pounds. Pretty impressive.

Haven't heard back from the range yet, but I will probably get to see targets in the next couple of days. I'll keep you guys posted.

If you are interested, I would suggest you save your pennies, the new barrels are MSRP'd at around $500 and the carbon fiber front handguard is $365. These guns are for a nitch audience, but I don't know who the nitch is... LOL

More to follow...

JD

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sooooo, today the field test was done with the new Carbon Fiber Barreled AR's that we rolled up. A complete, full sized AR with a 20" barrel, full length hand-guard ( also carbon fiber ) with one full 1913 rail and three smaller half rails & the A2 stock came in at exactly 7 pounds. Pretty impressive.

Haven't heard back from the range yet, but I will probably get to see targets in the next couple of days. I'll keep you guys posted.

If you are interested, I would suggest you save your pennies, the new barrels are MSRP'd at around $500 and the carbon fiber front handguard is $365. These guns are for a nitch audience, but I don't know who the nitch is... LOL

More to follow...

JD
That's pretty neat JD. Everything lately seems to be centered around "weight". I guess reducing it is ok as long as structural strength and shock resistance is maintained. My NMA4 AR weighs 9.7 lbs with a 20" Bull Stainless barrel in A2 Stock Congiguration with carry handle. 2.7 lbs. is a hell of a lot lighter, but if I had to pay $1450 instead of the $950 I paid, I would stick with the one I have. Besides, with regards to archery and carbon, I have split carbon arrows, I have never split an aluminum arrow..for what it's worth.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 AM   #4

RL - Agreed, but you didn't pay MSRP on your weapon.

These barrels are almost entirely made out of solid carbon fiber, and they are about .750 thick. They have a real steel bore, but it's walls are very thin and then it is wrapped in carbon fiber for the rest of the diameter. It's a slick idea, but really, for the price, you can get a match grade Kreiger, or other barrel, that will probably shoot circles around the carbon model.

I should have some information on the groups tomorrow or the next day, so I will see what I can post and what I can't.

JD

Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
RL - Agreed, but you didn't pay MSRP on your weapon.

These barrels are almost entirely made out of solid carbon fiber, and they are about .750 thick. They have a real steel bore, but it's walls are very thin and then it is wrapped in carbon fiber for the rest of the diameter. It's a slick idea, but really, for the price, you can get a match grade Kreiger, or other barrel, that will probably shoot circles around the carbon model.

I should have some information on the groups tomorrow or the next day, so I will see what I can post and what I can't.

JD
That's true JD, but if I paid the $1215 retail price, what would it cost with a carbon barrel? $1715? That's insane... It will be interesting to see what happens with these barrels as far as barrel harmonics are concerned...maybe they dampen vibrations better than steel, or does their low weight increase vibration? Carbon arrows respond much differently to the potential energy released when a compound bow string is released. The carbon arrows actually flex LESS than the heavier aluminum arrows because they are stiffer (known as "spine" in archery) than aluminum. If this same logic carries into barrels, carbon barrels may be the cats meow for benchrest rifles. I would imagine they dissipate heat quicker also?

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-22-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #6

RL - I will let you know what the results are. when I can. As I said, they were just finished up yesterday and went to the range today for the first time. Today was a great range day, about 74 degrees with little to no breeze, so the results should be good, if there is good to be had.

The theory is definitely that they will disperse heat better than straight steel, but at what a price?

These are the first three barrels that have been produced, pretty much on the planet as far as we know, and the guy who made them had three patents pending on their production.

Rumor has it, if they perform as well as expected, he has a standing order for 5000 right off the bat.

We will have to see - The AR market is saturated with parts and components. Maybe there is a market, maybe there isn't, but it's cool to be involved at the ground level and see them before anyone else gets too.

JD

Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Agreed JD. It can't hurt your resume` either! I would love to hear the results of the range session. Thank you.