Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is your way you Clean your Gun?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

I ask a nephew is he would like to handle a couple of guns.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #12

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

I spray break free in the barrel and let it sit. I use break free on the other internals while the barrel soaks. Then I dip a nylon bristle brush in Hoppes #9 and run it through the barrel. I use a boresnake to finish up after I'm done.

Also I shoot a lot of lead. Sometimes even pure lead. If I have lead fouling I will take a 38 brush wrapped in a piece of choreboy. I run that through my 45 barrel a few times. It will remove all the lead in just a few seconds. I bought a Colt 1917 that had so much lead build up I thought the rifleing was gone. Did the choreboy trick. In less than 5 minutes the bore looked brand new.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not long ago I had an issue with Hoppe's #9 in my S&W 686. I cleaned the pistol after some shooting, reloaded it and put it back in the gunsafe. A week later I got it out and went to jack the rounds out and they wouldn't budge! Panic starts to set in. So I gently knock the ejector rod against a wooden block and slowly the rounds backed out covered in vertigris! evidently there was a little solvent still in the chambers which reacted with the brass cases. Cylinder is OK after scrubbing out the vertigris. Now I have switched from Hoppes back to Shooters Choice (which I had used for years) and I never leave brass case ammo in the cylinder, switched to nickle plated.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #14

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I left a little Hoppes in the chambers of my model 65, didn't mess up the brass casings or the chambers, but the JHP's turned a real cool shade of green

Old 09-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My method is about the same as knfxda's. That is pretty much how the instructor at my gun class demonstrated.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #16

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Shuden't you use a lite coat of gun-oil after Hoope #9 to prevent rust....At least that's what I always did-do...........

Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default Too old-fashioned

I guess I'm just too old school for this discussion. Windex? WD-40? WATER??? None of these have ever touched my guns. I only use purpose based chemical products to clean my firearms and nothing that can make them worse than when I started. Hoppe's #9 to break up powder fouling in barrel, action, trigger, canned air to blow out any place I can't reach with brass brush or jig, Break Free CLP for areas that don't need heavy lubrication and Rem-oil for bore, breach, action and anything that is going to be under heavy use. Guns get cleaned after use or once a month without use or packed in Cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper and crated for long-term storage.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)