Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is your way you Clean your Gun?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is your way you Clean your Gun?????

Hi i am always interested in hearing how people Clean their guns no matter if they are

Pistols,Revolvers,Shotguns,Rifles what ever Glock or any other Polymere gun or Steel gun 1911 M4 or whatever

MY METHOD
I always use Ballistol,through the bore with brass rod with brass bore brush then ballistol soaked patches through bore until patches come out white. Then use ballistol on everything else and scrub with a toothbrush then wipe it all away. Then go to town on the gun with Simple Green then rinse it off with water then i use my air compressor to dry the entire gun. Then i Coat the bore and the barrel and the entire gun with CLP Break Free.

I have never encountered any rust and or pitting in the bore on the barrel or anywhere on a gun yet and never hope to never encounter it. But if i do i keep hearing that you need to use a special cleaner to remove bore pitting and or rust is it really necessary?????? Won't Hoppes 9,Ballistol,Gunscrubber or CLP Break Free take care of Rust,Corrosion,pitting anywhere on the gun?????

How do you guys Clean your guns?????

Last edited by CAMCHAMPION1988; 09-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not a very refined method, but this is what I do:

• Run a double patch soaked in Hoppe's through the barrel a couple of times first. Let that soak in.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the spring and guide.
  • Use a brush dipped in #9 on the frame and slide.
  • Return to the barrel and run a brass brush through it.
  • Start the process of running double patches through the barrel.
  • If it's really dirty repeat soaked patches and brass brush and then return to dry patches.
  • Use patches to clean slide an frame, by hand.
  • Use cleaning cloth to wipe down spring and guide.
  • Lightly oil the frame and rails, outside of barrel, ramp, and any metal part that shows wear.
  • Reassemble gun.
  • Work the action several times and remove any excess oil on back of slide.
  • Wipe down frame and slide with cleaning cloth.

If I think it's going to be a while before I shoot the gun again, I'll oil the inside of the barrel.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 09-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I shoot corrosive ammo through my Mosin Nagant, so I start with a heavy dose of windex through the bore and all over the action, then pretty much go the way Knfxda said, except tailored to the bolt action rifle and revolver. I skip the windex on the revolver.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Just tried a ..BORESNAKE..for the first time....Not impressed but it did the job...Anybody else use a Bore-snake to clean their guns ???....and how do you like it ???...It's new to me..............

Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I used a bore snake on my M249 all the time, it worked great for me. I would squirt a little issued CLP on the end where the drawstring attached to the main part right in front of the brush and drag it through 2-3 times. left the bore bright and shiny. I decided to run a clean patch through afterward a few times but they kept coming out clean, so I just stuck to the snake.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Otis Elite gun cleaning kit and compressed air for cleaning handguns and rifles. Then after about every 5-6 hand cleanings I will break them all down and use the SharperTek heated ultrasonic handgun Cleaner for a deep cleaning and lube for both handguns and all internal rifle parts, bolt/key carrier assemblies, charging handle, etc. excluding the rifle barrel, too big to fit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

For a quickcleaning ... bore's snake.
For intensive cleaning I usually use Hoppe's 9
for barrel cleansing, and Winchester CLP for rest
of firearm cleaning it thoroughly with Q-tips, patches,
and clean rag.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Just tried a ..BORESNAKE..for the first time....Not impressed but it did the job...Anybody else use a Bore-snake to clean their guns ???....and how do you like it ???...It's new to me..............
Bore snake on my shotgun for sure. Any thing else is a great big PITA!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm somewhat of a lazy SOB and use Wipe Out and Carb Out bore cleaners. Stuff works good for me.

SharpShoot-R™ Precision Products

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I used a bore snake on my M249 all the time, it worked great for me. I would squirt a little issued CLP on the end where the drawstring attached to the main part right in front of the brush and drag it through 2-3 times. left the bore bright and shiny. I decided to run a clean patch through afterward a few times but they kept coming out clean, so I just stuck to the snake.
Same method I use.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR