Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > what was your first job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Clay pidgeon loader at a trap & skeet range.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1379 Posts
Likes Given: 14838

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Clay pidgeon loader at a trap & skeet range.
Wow , A job with "perks" , Too Kool..!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #23

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

My first formal job was at 10 years old, working in the "Shade Tobacco" fields where we live. In the Summer we worked from 6AM to 6PM with one hour for lunch. My first full paycheck was $12.50. I though I was rich.

I continued to work in the Summers on the tobacco farms until I was a senior in high school. My last wage was a whooping $1.00 per hour.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
My first formal job was at 10 years old, working in the "Shade Tobacco" fields where we live. In the Summer we worked from 6AM to 6PM with one hour for lunch. My first full paycheck was $12.50. I though I was rich.

I continued to work in the Summers on the tobacco farms until I was a senior in high school. My last wage was a whooping $1.00 per hour.
When I was 11 my grandpa put me to work in the hayfields so from then on that is how I spent my summers. Everything at that time around here was bailed in 60 to 100lb+ bails and had to be hauled to the barn. Not long after I went to work in the log woods doing what ever I could to make a buck.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default First job with a paycheck

My first job that actually issued a paycheck was at a drive in restaurant. We would make homemade french fries , bread food to be deep fried, mushrooms,onion rings, fish and believe this one (frog legs) . I personally ever tried the frog legs, but I know some states have a frog hunting season,Yup a frog hunting season.
Well as some people say it must have been an acquired delicacy. When we weren't busy I had to mow the areas grass. Of course, as a kid you could do odds and ends to make some change. Anybody remember the days that there was an actual cash deposit on pop bottles? Us kids in the neighborhood,I lived in a rural area. would comb through the ditchlines to find candy and pop money. Also, as one other person mentioned help the neighboring farmers, bailing hay ,putting it the hay mow, talk about a miserable job, stuck in an enclosed barn with no air circulation and 90 to 110 degrees.

Last edited by GSpears471; 03-23-2013 at 02:15 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #26

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I had a paper route when I was a kid. I was in middle school. That is when I learned that people are more than happy to cheat kids. So was the newspaper. Back then the "Times Advocate" would not let a carrier cancel a subscription for non payment. But they would not help the carrier collect either.

I started a lawn mowing business in the summer before my freshman year of high school. I closed it down at 17 to go in the Army.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpears471 View Post
My first job that actually issued a paycheck was at a drive in restaurant. We would make homemade french fries , bread food to be deep fried, mushrooms,onion rings, fish and believe this one (frog legs) . I personally ever tried the frog legs, but I know some states have a frog hunting season,Yup a frog hunting season.
Well as some people say it must have been an acquired delicacy. When we weren't busy I had to mow the areas grass. Of course, as a kid you could do odds and ends to make some change. Anybody remember the days that there was an actual cash deposit on pop bottles? Us kids in the neighborhood,I lived in a rural area. would comb through the ditchlines to find candy and pop money. Also, as one other person mentioned help the neighboring farmers, bailing hay ,putting it the hay mow, talk about a miserable job, stuck in an enclosed barn with no air circulation and 90 to 110 degrees.
Remember those days very well. Also spent many a night hunting frogs as well. You should have tried them. When done right they cant be beat.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
The first job I ever had was picking butter beans for $2 a bucket. It took me all day to fill one bucket. Then the farmer didn't have change so he took us to a convenience store to break a twenty. I spent my $2 on lemonade after spending the day in the sun. Came home with a few coins.
I never want to pick another butter bean in my life, had a friend who's father love the little baby beans. Can you imagine how many you have to pick to make a meal for four.............My father paid $1.00 a tub, [peck]. a lot of money back then.....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

dango Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #29

Liked 823 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 816

At 13 I would get off the buss in town & work for about 3 hrs. at local service station pumping gas, checking oil, airing tires & such, then walk home about 2 miles. We lived on a farm, I would feed the chickens & milk the cow, come in, bath, eat supper, do my homework, watch a little TV & then go to bed...............

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #30

Liked 627 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Default Work ethic...

Age 12... Took a Summer job helping out a local farm... Priming and hanging tobacco in a smokehouse... then loading it up for market... all in the 100+ degree North Carolina heat. Let me tell you... nothing... and I mean NOTHING will make you want to get a higher education than doing that.

Just great to see a bunch of good early work ethic stories being stated here. Wish some of these jobs were still available for the young kids today.

Last edited by NC1760; 03-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.