What was your first gun? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What was your first gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Ok Winds of change since we established a ball park age for you . Then what peaked your interest in firearms so late in the game ?

What really got me into guns was when I was 9 or so I went to this old city dump thatd been cleared out and another massive landfill was made off in the distance behind it and I used to go out there and collect shells id find on the ground , most fired some not. Itd become the local shooting range with a few hundred foot tall landfill as a backstop.

One day I went out there and some guy was shooting a 9mm and a .38 and I was watching and he noticed me standing back there and asked if I wanted to try one out. Ofcourse I was like " Really? I can shoot one of those? " and he said sure and so first time ever firing a gun I had a empty ammo case hoping in mid air till the mag ran dry out of the 9mm at about 25 ft . It was over , I was hooked .

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #32
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8128 Times on 4865 Posts
Likes Given: 10463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
How old are you if I may ask Ma'am ? and what made you decide to get into firearms as a hobby?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Good luck getting her age, all attempts thus far have failed :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I can say with some authority that Winds-of-change is definitely
Old enough to know better but young enough to try.
I'm old enough to know better but young enough to keep doing it anyway, Vikingdad!

Anyway, I met a man who had guns. I was very afraid of him, being anti-gun all my life. I mean, after all, they were dangerous, weren't they? He talked to me day after day and reasoned with me about guns. He asked me if I felt my car was dangerous.........because it was. Probably even more dangerous than guns. He asked me if I had knives in my kitchen.

Then I flew out to meet him. He gave me some lessons on gun safety in his home. Showed me how a couple of them worked. Taught me how to use the sights and was respectful enough to not but a large caliber pistol in my hands. We went to an outdoor range near his home out in LA. There were metal targets and he put an Uzi in my hands. I heard more "plink" than not and you could not wipe that smile off my face. I also shot a SKS (a Vietnam era one with a spike bayonet) at 100 yds and hit the 10" target, too. My friend was laughing the whole time because he couldn't believe I never shot a gun before. I did shoot a .380 pistol (I think) but the recoil kind of scared me and after shooting one round I set it down on the bench. Back to the rifles.

So, my late start has to do with ignorance and misinformation that was corrected by a friend. I simply didn't know better. I grew up in the suburbs and my Dad was not a hunter, though he did have a .32 Browning in one of his dresser drawers. I have since shot pretty much anything, including a Thompson full auto sub machine gun. If I'm unsure, I ask someone to shoot the gun first so I can see what the recoil might look like. I'm not afraid of any gun anymore. BRING IT ON, BABY!!!

Oh, and by the way, I am 34, tall, thin and redhead.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #33

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm old enough to know better but young enough to keep doing it anyway, Vikingdad!

Anyway, I met a man who had guns. I was very afraid of him, being anti-gun all my life. I mean, after all, they were dangerous, weren't they? He talked to me day after day and reasoned with me about guns. He asked me if I felt my car was dangerous.........because it was. Probably even more dangerous than guns. He asked me if I had knives in my kitchen.

Then I flew out to meet him. He gave me some lessons on gun safety in his home. Showed me how a couple of them worked. Taught me how to use the sights and was respectful enough to not but a large caliber pistol in my hands. We went to an outdoor range near his home out in LA. There were metal targets and he put an Uzi in my hands. I heard more "plink" than not and you could not wipe that smile off my face. I also shot a SKS (a Vietnam era one with a spike bayonet) at 100 yds and hit the 10" target, too. My friend was laughing the whole time because he couldn't believe I never shot a gun before. I did shoot a .380 pistol (I think) but the recoil kind of scared me and after shooting one round I set it down on the bench. Back to the rifles.

So, my late start has to do with ignorance and misinformation that was corrected by a friend. I simply didn't know better. I grew up in the suburbs and my Dad was not a hunter, though he did have a .32 Browning in one of his dresser drawers. I have since shot pretty much anything, including a Thompson full auto sub machine gun. If I'm unsure, I ask someone to shoot the gun first so I can see what the recoil might look like. I'm not afraid of any gun anymore. BRING IT ON, BABY!!!

Oh, and by the way, I am 34, tall, thin and redhead.
Saw one of the pictures you posted , I approve

Good for that guy . Anyone who brings someone into the light of realizations that firearms are only as dangerous as their operator is ok in my book .

By the way Im 35 tall average dirty blonde *wink* *wink * hahaha j/k

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #34

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Thats the greatest attitude iv heard of since my fiancee told my dad he was a ummmm pu$$y for sayin his 270 kicks to hard for a small woman to shoot. He made some comme.t and she asked which one it was, picked it up went to my truck got three rounds kicked three of his rounds out, put her three in it. Then proceeded to crank off all three rounds into a quarter size group at 50 yards. Then she shoved it into his arms and told him not only is he a pu$$y but he is also a cowering old woman scared of his shadow

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1929 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 10992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Thats the greatest attitude iv heard of since my fiancee told my dad he was a ummmm pu$$y for sayin his 270 kicks to hard for a small woman to shoot. He made some comme.t and she asked which one it was, picked it up went to my truck got three rounds kicked three of his rounds out, put her three in it. Then proceeded to crank off all three rounds into a quarter size group at 50 yards. Then she shoved it into his arms and told him not only is he a pu$$y but he is also a cowering old woman scared of his shadow

ROTFLMAO! My wife shot her first gun (a Marlin .30-30) after a friend of mine said the same thing! She had a few choice words for him afterwards also.

My first gun was a Stevens 987 tube fed .22lr semiauto. It now belongs to my stepdaughter, as it was given to her when I bought my 10/22. I still take it out and use it from time to time to remember my mother. She and dad gave it to me when I was 12 for my birthday. It is still one of my favorite little plinkers, and when she moves out on her own, I will miss both of them.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

ROTFLMAO! My wife shot her first gun (a Marlin .30-30) after a friend of mine said the same thing! She had a few choice words for him afterwards also.

My first gun was a Stevens 987 tube fed .22lr semiauto. It now belongs to my stepdaughter, as it was given to her when I bought my 10/22. I still take it out and use it from time to time to remember my mother. She and dad gave it to me when I was 12 for my birthday. It is still one of my favorite little plinkers, and when she moves out on her own, I will miss both of them.
My fiancee is 5' 2 1/2" and weighs about a buck twenty. She will shoot any gun i have w a few exceptions. One of which no one but those i know can handle tremendous recoil shoots. Its a remington model 700 bdl mountain lite chambered in 327 wsm. It will seriously dislocate your shoulder if you dont know how to handle recoil. I dont shoot it much since i have guns more nice to shoot and if i cant kill it w my 243, 270, 7 mm mag, 7 mm08, 7.82, or 338 win mag, 454 cassul, or 45/70 i dont need to be shooting it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #37
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8128 Times on 4865 Posts
Likes Given: 10463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Saw one of the pictures you posted , I approve
Where? Link me to that picture.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #38

First one I shot was my Uncles Winchester 1200 30" full, got my first duck with it, one night in Ireland.
First one I bought was rem 1100 26" 3" mag only parkzd. I inherited the 1200 and brought it here, and still have the Rem too.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1929 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 10992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
My fiancee is 5' 2 1/2" and weighs about a buck twenty. She will shoot any gun i have w a few exceptions. One of which no one but those i know can handle tremendous recoil shoots. Its a remington model 700 bdl mountain lite chambered in 327 wsm. It will seriously dislocate your shoulder if you dont know how to handle recoil. I dont shoot it much since i have guns more nice to shoot and if i cant kill it w my 243, 270, 7 mm mag, 7 mm08, 7.82, or 338 win mag, 454 cassul, or 45/70 i dont need to be shooting it.

Sounds like a keeper to me bro. When are you planning the wedding?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Sounds like a keeper to me bro. When are you planning the wedding?
After she gets done w bmt and tech.