What is your favorite dog breed?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is your favorite dog breed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default What is your favorite dog breed?

There is no wrong answer here! But a chance to share your most memorable
experiences with your first dog or the one that was the smartest one to date!

My familys first known dog was a beagle that helped them find food in the
great depression named Daisy! My first dog was a beagle/terrier mix rescued
from a shelter that was great at finding rabbits & birds. Goober was a very
large beagle that made for a better guard dog than a hunter/companion!

But, my young Jethro that will be 2 yrs old next week "is a natural born hunter"!
He "pointed out" a very nice buck last season to confirm his training... but,
we were concentrating on elk! Jethro, is a very smart beag as he has about
outgrown his "terrible two's" before he turned 2!!! (The more I learn about
beagles, the more they learn to understand me)!

Last edited by canebrake; 09-04-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

I have a basset hound, two beagles and a fox terrier. Preceded by a basset and an airedale (RIP Bradley and Caesar).

Tough choice.....all fine dogs.

Paul

Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bloodhound

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty sure that you know what my answer is...(See my avatar.)
Now, I'm not a "tough guy" or a "thug", but my second favorite breed is what I guess people call "Pit Bulls". I say that because "Pit Bulls" aren't a "real" breed. There are a American Stafordshire Terriers, American Bull Terriers, and so on, and "Pit Bulls" are basically the mutts of breeding many of these breeds together over many years.
I love animals and I've spent a lot of time learning about dog fighting (DISGUSTING!!!), rescue animals, puppy mills, and the like, and I've learned that these dogs who have had this horrible "reputation" placed upon them because of what a few idiots do (sound familiar to any of you gun owners???) can be some of the most amazing animals in the entire world. "Pit Bulls", even if they've been mistreated horribly in the past can be some of the most loving, wonderful, loyal dogs in the entire world. I suggest that anyone who has a negative image of these dogs due to false sterotypes portrayed in the media takes a closer look at some of them and your opinion may change.
When Igor decides that it's time to leave us, I'm ADOPTING two Pit BULLS. I will never buy another dog from a breeder again. There are way too many in the world that need good homes, and to keep bringing new ones into the world for monetary gain is selfish in my opinion.

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Toss up between black lab, German shepard, and golden retriever.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I have been around dogs my whole life, my mother used to show some of the best Golden Retrievers there was. We moved from Goldens into Rottweilers and have had a Rotty or two always. My mother also breeds German Shepard Dogs and has bred Wolf-Hybrids also. If there is one thing I know more than bugs it is dogs and what standards for different breeds, I know a good dog when I see one. With that I have to say If it's not a Rottweiler...It's just a dog WarEagle Rottweilers. Shameless plug.
Been awhile since I updated it.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

I really love Border Collies and two years ago I had to have my first Border Collie put down. She was 16 years old and one of the best dogs I've ever owned. All she ever wanted to do was be a "good dog" and follow my rules. She never stole food off the counter, pottied in house, ran out an open door, barked needlessly. Her eyes were always on me and never did anything with waiting for a nod of my head which meant it was okay for her to do something. She was awesome. I now have another Border Collie and though he's a pretty good dog, he certainly does try to see what he can get away with. They are fun and very smart. Both are/were great with a frisbee and I like to play tracking games with my current BC. He also has a lot of fun running through agility courses, but not competitively, just for fun. He loves to learn new tricks and works hard to learn and be praised.

I also have a pug, which is the best "companion dog" I've ever owned. She follows me so closely she often is stepping on the back of my shoes as I walk.

I also have a papillon. Though I love her dearly, she's the poster dog for "small, yappy dog". I think she may believe her name is "QUIET".

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Friend of mine, a gundog breeder, gave me a 'drop'... a 1/2 german shorthair/ 1/2 Irish setter. Best gundog I ever saw.

some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple...barry switzer

11B10 '67-'68

Old 09-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

I have a brace of German Shorthairs, two labs an a young Brittany Bitch that this will be her first season, Also a 107 lb Doberman, loving know as the land shark, for home defense. I have had the privilege of owning or shooting over most of the breeds of gun dogs and to say which breed is the best it all depends on the dog and the owner’s own personal preference. Best gun dog I have ever owned was a cross between an English Setter and a Chesapeake Retriever. He worked in close, was steady as a rock on point and when asked to retrieve never failed to find a downed bird. A close friend has a brace of Basset Hounds that are the best on rabbits that that I have ever seen in 65 years of chasseing bunnies. Is the Basset the best breed for hunting rabbits who knows? I happen to like Dobermans as a housedog but that is just me. I know of one case that a Chihuahua saved families bacon by barking and letting the owner know that there was an intruder in the house. The dog you own and love is the best breed of dog there is.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My favorite is the dog I have now. Half Lab Half Boston Terrier. She has the goofiness and family orientedness of a lab and the drive and intelligence of a Boston. She has all the preferred markings of a Boston without the smushed in face and is not the size of a full grown lab. She is a wonderful dog who will make people jump off the front porch and is 40# of kiss giving hug giving family member.

Right now she is running through the house with her brand new turkey squeaker toy.