What is your biggest GUN OWNER pet peeve? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is your biggest GUN OWNER pet peeve?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

"First is the "gun snob". If your shotgun did not cost an amount equal to the annual budget for a small town, it cannot POSSIBLE break a clay pigeon or drop a dove. Drives them nuts when I am breaking doubles with a Baker Batavia or Savage. Popping doves with a Flite King can send them into a tizzy." C3shooter

It did my heart good to be at Camp Perry shooting an old S&W 1955 and blowing the doors off the a**hole next to me with his super modified star wars guns. And to have him score my targets! Priceless.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978

Some members on here will not sugar coat thing and just tell you how it is. (But later are called gun snobs). I myself am vary grateful for those snobs, I have learned a ton from them.
Ill second that. I pay close attention to what I read on here. I've only been on this forum a couple weeks and I've learned a lot. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge so someone like me who doesn't know a whole lot but wants to learn can learn.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #83

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
But sometimes people are a little quick to call someone a gun snob. I have seen it time and again on this site where someone just got a new gun and then starts a thread asking what everyone thinks about it. As soon as someone says something bad about there new toy that person is called out for being a gun snob.
In my experience there are some manufacturers that have better track records than others. This does not mean that every gun they make is bad. It just means you might be taking a gamble wheb buying one.

Maybe instead of calling someone a gun snob you should ask them why they feel that way about that gun. Maybe they have some first hand experience with it.

Anyway biggest peeve is what I stated above.

Someone buys a gun without any research at all. Then gets on this site and asked "what do you all think of this gun" then gets all bent out of shape when people point out that it isn't as great of gun as that proud new owner thought it was. The time for questions is before you pay your hard earned money for it. Some members on here will not sugar coat thing and just tell you how it is. (But later are called gun snobs). I myself am vary grateful for those snobs, I have learned a ton from them.
Everyone has bought something they weren't particularly happy about later.

EVERYONE has a preference for one brand over another. Realistic? Well that's an entirely different question. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.

Gun Snob defined: Someone who has definite opinions about what they like and can afford better guns than you.
No need to let it bother you, everyone can't afford a Bentley either. This ain't occupy Wall street, life goes on.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #84

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Mine is people that have a problem with calling a magazine a clip, you know what they are talking about. Banana Clip, Banana Magazine big did it holds rounds who cares in or out.
Also Bullet and Round, again you know what they are talking about.
The problem is that a "clip" is used to load a magazine and is not interchangeable. If you are in a group of people who consider themselves gun aficiaonados you show ignorance with the substitution. That is the reason for the pet peve. Did you learn everything you know about guns from a movie? That's what gun guys think when you substitute clip for magazine. Not trying to be a dick, just explaining the thought process.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #85

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45
Mine is people that have a problem with calling a magazine a clip, you know what they are talking about. Banana Clip, Banana Magazine big did it holds rounds who cares in or out.
Try using the word "clip" while going through CLEET or any other LE school/course and see what happens. Ive seen quite a few people do it, they learn real quick how to determine the difference between a clip and a magazine.

Last edited by MrWray; 03-01-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #86

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator45 View Post
Those of us who correct noobs when they interchange terms like clip and magazine do so for 2 reasons.
1. We all enjoyed an extended stay at either a military or LOE training facility where a very pleasant fellow calmley explained the difference to us.
2. Other than flagging fellow shooters at the firing line, nothing SCREAMS ignorance like people using incorrect terms OR political terms like "my new ASSAULT RIFLE"

One can choose to absorb and apply the information or they can choose to continue sounding goofy.
Tack

Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #87
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Those of us who correct noobs when they interchange terms like clip and magazine do so for 2 reasons.
1. We all enjoyed an extended stay at either a military or LOE training facility where a very pleasant fellow calmley explained the difference to us.
2. Other than flagging fellow shooters at the firing line, nothing SCREAMS ignorance like people using incorrect terms OR political terms like "my new ASSAULT RIFLE"

One can choose to absorb and apply the information or they can choose to continue sounding goofy.
Tack
that is one term i can't stand, "ASSAULT RIFLE"! if i shot someone with a single shot 22, isn't that an "ASSAULT RIFLE"? i assaulted someone!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #88

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Try using the word "clip" while going through CLEET or any other LE school/course and see what happens. Ive seen quite a few people do it, they learn real quick how to determine the difference between a clip and a magazine.
Sure in specific instances it can be embarrassing, but for me it has to do with proper terminology being crucial to the efficient exchange of ideas.

I often read on forums newbies discussing ammunition and they call the cartridges, bullets. I remember one time a newbie thought he was being told his cartridges were too long for the barrel's twist rate. That made for a crazy thread!

Some times I talk about my bullets in a video while holding up a cartridge. Some people will correct me when I actually am talking about the bullet in that cartridge. Now that gets annoying.

Last edited by The_Kid; 03-01-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: used barrel as plural instead of possessive... "proper terminology"

Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #89

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

Specially the guys who think AR stands for Assault Rifle,

And the guys who's ENTIRE knowledge tree was Grown by the Hollywood yahoos who have never made a single movie without a firearm mistake.

Though ACT OF VALOR came close!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #90

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

one to add that I saw this morning in a news story: Whenever some gun-hating liberal reporter will refer to something as "police grade" or "weapons grade". For example "Police grade pistols" ... she was referring to a Glock

"Weapons Grade" she was referring to pepper spray.

They're all manufactured terms to scare the uninformed around us into believing guns are evil and must go.