Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The what are you reading thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2232 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Seal Target Geronimo by Chuck Parker &
Fast and Furious by Katie Pavlich

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Current book on the night stand is Fall of Giants by Ken Follet.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhawk8 View Post
I enjoy reading books by James Paterson, Lee Childs, C.J. Box, John Sanford, James Lee Burke
Clete Purcell rocks!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #14

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
My Dad loves Terry Goodkind.
Your father is a wise man. You should read some of them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I read "On Killing" a couple of years ago and I have to say I did not agree with some premises that Grossman put forth either.

While I agree that "training to kill" and being able to pull the trigger when the time comes are two different animals.

But some of the premises that he issues as blanket statements are a bit of a stretch.
He does paint with a very broad brush. But I do not think he is entirely incorrect in his statements about how things have changed.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

He had a series of them he wanted to lend me but the print was so darn small....I am totally OCD about germs and cannot take books from the library. I picture people taking them into the bathroom, licking their fingers as they turn the pages etc.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #16

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Its worth it.

Or you could go to the bookstore. They now sell the series in collector's packs. Three to four books per pack at anywhere from twenty to thirty bucks a pack. Or you can go to barnesa and nobel online and download them and read them on your computer. I first started reading his books about five years ago. I was so hooked that I read the first six books of SOT series in about a month and a half.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #17

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Lately the only reading I've been doing is news, it's very depressing, I don't know why I torture myself but I'm a bit of a news junkie, local/state/US/International the whole gambit.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #18

Liked 1126 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Current book on the night stand is Fall of Giants by Ken Follet.
That is a good one. I understand that it is to be part one of a trilogy. I have read every thing Follet has written and like all of his stuff.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Most of what I read is Fantasy or Science fiction - Lawhead, Llewellyn, Martin, Jordan, Eddings, Tolkien, Wolffe, Wiess/Hickman, Hienlien, Asimov ...

Currently reading the Robin Hood trilogy by Lawhead ... fantastic!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6761 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
I usually read non-fiction because I like to get information. Right now I'm reading "The Help" because I want to see the movie but I like to always read books first.
I really enjoyed that book and the movie.

Quote:
He had a series of them he wanted to lend me but the print was so darn small....I am totally OCD about germs and cannot take books from the library. I picture people taking them into the bathroom, licking their fingers as they turn the pages etc.
Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where George brings a book from the bookstore into the bathroom? So funny....

But seriously, germs won't live long on a book. A book is dry and not very conducive to breeding germs. Germs tend to like warm, damp areas. If you wanted to wipe the cover of the book with a antiseptic wipe it probably wouldn't hurt it but I don't think the pages will hold any live bacteria or virus for more than a few minutes.

As for what I read..........what ever catches my interest. True crimes, fiction, non-fiction, biographies, etc. Depends on whatever 'kick' I'm on at the time and whatever my looks interesting.