The what are you reading thread
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The what are you reading thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default The what are you reading thread

Reading has been one of my favorite hobbies since I was young, and while it seems that many of today's youth don't seem to enjoy a good book anymore, I am sure that many of you here do.

Years ago I got really into Terry Goodkind's SOT series, and wait on bated breath each time he has a new book coming out. So when I found out that he was self publishing a book I was ecstatic. So ecstatic that I failed to realize that the book would never have a hard or paperback. Instead he published it only as an Ebook. So when I figured it out I was a bit let down. Ive always loved the feel of a book in my hands while I read and never even thought about getting a nook or one of those other readers. But my brother sent me one for my B-day yesterday. So I finally got around to getting his new book. "The First Confessor The Legend of Magda Searus" And let me tell you, it is absolutely amazing. I now know why he wanted to self publish it. Having editors, and publishing companies break down and redo what you poured your heart and soul into has got to really kill you. I'm a hundred pages into it, and the creative freedom afforded to him by foregoing the publishing companies really shows.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Liked 1559 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I am constantly reading WWII history, and have been for over 50 years. I also read sci-fi, but only if it was written by a scientist. I read general history, anthropology, Cold war spy thrillers (Le Carre) I have also read all of the "lawyer" books by Grisham.

Right now I am re-reading The Galloping Ghost about the life of Eugene Fluckey, a Medal of Honor winning WWII submariner. I am also reading The Tigers are Burning by Martin Caidin, about the battle of Kursk, the largest tank/air/and infantry . battle in history. I just finished repreading A Prelude to Foundation by Asimov.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually read non-fiction because I like to get information. Right now I'm reading "The Help" because I want to see the movie but I like to always read books first.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

About to start the third book about the collapse by James Wesley Rawles.

This one is named, FOUNDERS.

I think it will be an excellent read during a week of camping in the Ozarks.

NEVER FORGET

Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We have been on a Criminal Minds kick lately, so I am re-reading "Whoever Fights Monsters" by Robert Ressler. Fantastic book about the beginning of the FBI Serial Killer "Profiling" unit and the 20 plus years RR spent hunting them.

I love true crime stuff. I don't know why, but it has always been way more interesting to me fiction.

JD

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Right now the only thing I am reading is this forum

Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I generally stick to fiction books, or SciFi books (I love Star Wars). But I just finished reading "On Killing" and "On Combat" by Col Grossman. I don't agree with everything he had to say in his books. But the basic premise is sound.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My Dad loves Terry Goodkind.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
But I just finished reading "On Killing" by Col Grossman. I don't agree with everything he had to say in his books. But the basic premise is sound.
I read "On Killing" a couple of years ago and I have to say I did not agree with some premises that Grossman put forth either.

While I agree that "training to kill" and being able to pull the trigger when the time comes are two different animals.

But some of the premises that he issues as blanket statements are a bit of a stretch.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I enjoy reading books by James Paterson, Lee Childs, C.J. Box, John Sanford, James Lee Burke