What are you reading these days?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What are you reading these days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default What are you reading these days?

I'm reading "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell and have "Easy Company Soldier" by Sgt. Don Malarkey and Bob Welch, and "American Lion" (Andrew Jackson in the White House) by Bob Meacham lined up next.

I've had to cut my political reading loose for a while, it was driving me crazy!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I love to read Paulo Coelho... I don't know if you can find his books in US bookstores, english translated, I'm sure that you can find them in Amazon

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

His name rings a bell for me. I may have read something of his some years ago. Or, maybe I just meant to read something of his some years ago.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Then check this out: Amazon.com: Paulo Coelho: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just read "The Moon Is Down", by John Steinbeck. It was originally a propaganda novel about American resistance in a Nazi occupied U.S., written for the Office of Information Services (one of wild Bill Donovan's agencies), but wild Bill thought the idea of Nazi occupation would hurt morale. Steinbeck re-wrote it set in an unnamed european country, and released it as an independent short novel.
Now I'm trying to read a book about re-examination of Soviet Union, but it's a little dense for something I don't HAVE to read .

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

'Four Fires' by Bryce Courtenay.. Although I've got to finish it shortly, because Uni holidays end today and I won't have any time for books other than Gray's Anatomy and Business Studies text books!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Nothing other than the forums at the moment. I do enjoy Science Fiction though.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Ultimate Sniper" - Maj. John L. Plaster, USAR (retired)

"Boston's Gun Bible" - Boston. T. Party

"Complete World Encyclopedia of Guns" (10 bucks at Borders!)

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #9

for great reading try MATTERHORN, by Karl Marlantes, the Vietnam war from a 2nd Lt USMS point of view. Marlantes was awarded the Navy Cross, Bronze star and a couple of purple hearts. the book is good reading and hard to put down.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #10

Just finished “Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides. It was about Kit Carson and the conquest of the American west.
I am fascinated about the subject, and thought it was a great read. I was even working in N.M. while reading and took a side trip to Taos, just to see Kit Carsons home.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand