What are you doing for Memorial Day? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What are you doing for Memorial Day?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here is a link to the VVMF website. There is a virtual Wall there. You can actually make a computerized "rubbing" of names.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - Official Web Site

USAF 1967-1971

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I will be thinking of my Uncles. 'Tween the 3, all enlisted, they fought for our freedom in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. All survied the wars, but only 1 is still with us.

I will remember my visits to Arlington and to Omaha Beach. I will also be thinking of our bravest men and women who now volunteer to protect us and the US Constitution.

Thanks, Cane and every other member here who served and are serving. My family thanks all. I will remember as the grill is fired that I can do so without fear because of the most amazing people on the planet.

I will also think of a man I never met, but wish I had. He was a college student at Dayton University. When his father went to pick him up after his freshman year and asked how he did on his finals, the student replied, "I did not take my finals. I went to the recruiter's offfice instead." He gave his life in Vietnam despite the doctor's effort at hospital in Tokyo. He suffered and so did his family. He was the oldest of 7, four of them girls. There is a recreational ball park in Marietta, Ohio named for him. He was the oldest brother of my ex-wife. He held her once when she was a baby. She never knew him. He had the chance to stay away and get an education. Instead, he decided he loved God, country and family more. His name was T. Michael Brockmeier. A true American hero that I never knew, but I knew the pain of the family.

Bless them all!

SC (teary eyed now)

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 05-21-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added the long paragraph on the hero I never knew

Old 05-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Arlington Cemetary. The Tomb of the Unknowns

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Will spend the afternoon at the range with 2 young shooters.

They are patients at McGuire VA hospital. Healing from wounds. Docs let them out for furloughs.

They get a chance to get a cheeseburger, fries, and a shake (no beer), go put some .22 ammo downrange (have to keep a caldwell led sled for some of the kids- missing hand) and to drive thru local college, girl watching.

My brothers-in-arms that are no longer here would approve, I think.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Will be hanging the flag and remembering my Dad and his service from 1942-1945, and probably watching "Band of Brothers" to remind myself of the hardships and sacrifices he and tens of thousands of GI's made. He never spoke about his experiences until a year before his death, but I know he didn't enjoy "winter camping" during the Battle of the Bulge. In fact two things he never did after the war were hunt and camp. Here's to you Dad - hoping to see you again.

dad1942.jpg  
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-22-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #16

I will say a prayer for all of those who serve,and sometime during the day I will tell my children (5 & 7) the reason why they have the day off from school,but for the most part I will enjoy the freedom that was given to by the brave members of our Armed Forces.
Past,present,and future,I salute you my brothers(and sisters) in arms
All the Veterans in my family are currently on the sunny side of the top soil so I think I'll spend some time with them this weekend .

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #17

My wife and I are planning to visit the VA hospital in Miami to say hello and thank the vets. My wife has done this every year since we buried my father at Arlington in 2001 and now that I've retired this is the first year I have a chance to go with her.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Will spend the afternoon at the range with 2 young shooters.

They are patients at McGuire VA hospital. Healing from wounds. Docs let them out for furloughs.

They get a chance to get a cheeseburger, fries, and a shake (no beer), go put some .22 ammo downrange (have to keep a caldwell led sled for some of the kids- missing hand) and to drive thru local college, girl watching.

My brothers-in-arms that are no longer here would approve, I think.
Props C3! They would all approve.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I got an e-mail from an old high school chum yesterday. He is back in Mosul saving the world from the tyranny of man as he put it. I will be thinking of him and his family as well.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I spent today with a group of people putting flags on the stones of military men, then came home to put out my own flag and a fresh yellow ribbon. My son is Iraq, his 4th tod in 3 1/2 years. He is to be home in August and will finish his service a few months latter. My son is 4th generation Marine. While the Marine in me understands why he is doing what he's doing, the farther in me just wants him home.

Memorial Day I'm attending the service at the Cemetery, my nephew is there, he was KIA in Iraq less than a year ago and then going home for some quite time.

Thanks Cane, I hope this reminds people it's more than a long weekend.