What would you have done?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What would you have done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would you have done?

So I live in a rough neighborhood. As a result I have the police on speed dial. I have accepted this as part of life living in New Orleans. I have a concealed carry license and carry everywhere except for school. I hopefully will be capable of carry at school one day with recent proposed legislation.

House committee says OK to guns on campus - Louisiana Politics | State Legislature News - NOLA.com

I was walking down the street and I look to my right because I hear commotion. Across the street is a man in a car who was being pulled out of his vehicle while the car is moving. Next thing you know four guys have this guy out of his car. The car is still in drive and almost rolls over him and comes to rest hitting another car on the street. They are kicking and punching him while he is down on the ground. So first instinct is call the police. I do and explain where I am and what is going on. The police officer responds with one of the most unbelievable statements ever "What do you want me to do about it?" I don't know if this is because I am a calm guy who doesn't get flustered and never has little to no urgency in his voice. I respond with how about you send someone out here to help this guy. I am at the point extremely angry and instead of asking for his name and badge number because he should have been reported I restate the intersection and hang up the phone. My wife is hiding behind my vehicle and I am just about to head over there and go shoot these idiots when the guy gets up crawls to his car while being berated with kicks and punches gets in and speeds off bouncing off another 2 vehicles in the street.

I happen to be in school with a retired cop who I ran the scenario by him and he said he would have shot a round as a warning and shot them next. He also said that is NOLA PD for you. I have always been taught that if you take your gun out and confront someone you should be shooting them. Don't give them the opportunity to shoot you first. I didn't see anyone with a weapon. I was afraid for the guys life. I was told that is justification in itself to defend him.

Thank God I didn't have to shoot anyone and the situation resolved itself. I just thought I would run that by everyone to see what they thought the appropriate response would be.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #2

Warning shots are in the VAST majority of PD's, a big no no and are not authorized. I would go by the same logic off duty. If the gun comes out, it's out to actually shoot someone, not scare them. If the situation does not warrant shooting a person justifiably, don't bring it out.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The retired officer actually said fire a warning shot?

1. Fire it where?
2. Once fired and all gangstas around pull and start shooting in response (not aware of "warning" and think aimed at them), do you die running or just die there?

I have a better idea. Yell "po-po" or "5-oh" as loud as you can as you dial 911.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There are so many unknowns in a story like that. You could be defending someone who just raped the sister of one of the guys who was administering the ass whooping - it could have been a drug deal gone bad - it could have been so many things it didn't appear to be, and therein lies the dilemma - do you get involved to the point where you have to draw your gun, and possibly defend your own life as a result, or do you write it off as life in the "hood". Tough call unless you know the situation - It would be a real crime to go to jail for coming to the defense of a thug.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-21-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I hate to say it but "Ain't none of my business". Gene pool needs a little bleach from time to time. There is a very limited few people I would ever pull a gun in defense of. Family or a very close friend that is with me. Other than that you are on your own with me bub.

I know it sounds cold but I have no idea with is going on and who is the bad guy or the good guy so it is in my best interest to stay the hell out of it.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-21-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have NEVER heard of a current LEO shooting a warning shot. Sounds more like something you would see in a movie and not something a LEO would do. Intresting story all the same.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I have NEVER heard of a current LEO shooting a warning shot. Sounds more like something you would see in a movie and not something a LEO would do. Intresting story all the same.
I'm wondering if the classmate is lying about being retired LEO. Maybe an unarmed security guy, but no LEO. Otherwise, the story is total bs. Fishing.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

We were always taught that any warning shot should be directed to center body mass. As part of a triple tap.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Skull...quit reading my mind you have been warned before about this "no crushing skulls in the forum"

Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW I just saw mall cop on DVD, it is a funny movie