What is a True American

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is a True American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default What is a True American

I am lucky to have traveled the world extensively and have met Americans in all the four corners. My quandry is the bad press the rest of the world give the USA. I have never met an American that has shown me hostilliy, quite the contrary I have only ever been offered assistance or friendship from the hundreds of Americans I have met whilst travelling. Having read 20 posts for every comment I make on FTF one thing has become apparent the American travellers I have met are normally in employment working people on vacation or in employment abroad. As has happend in my country a whole generation is emerging who believe the state has an obligation to support them. "rant over"
So my friends you tell me what is a true American

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2970 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Our image portrayed by the current political climate should not be construed as the "true american" image.
We are hard working, hard playing, honest, compassionate, believers in truths, God-fearing bunch of people.
We have our differences, but stand as a group when pushed.
We put jeans on one leg at a time, down to earth people who are not afraid to have our own thoughts or ideas.
We have a hand out to welcome others or to offer assistance.
We are proud of our history and ancestry, but are also proud to say "American" when asked our nationality.

This list is by no means complete, but it is a start in trying to explain what a "True American" is.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A true American is someone who knows what they want and will fight and die for it. A true American fights for FREEDOM, desires LOVE, offers FRIENDSHIP, achieves GREATNESS (even if only in the eyes of their children), is RESPECTFUL, deserves RESPECT and provides for their FAMILY.

A true American is not a free loader, a true American is a provider and a protector. Always has been and always will be.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Our image portrayed by the current political climate should not be construed as the "true american" image.
We are hard working, hard playing, honest, compassionate, believers in truths, God-fearing bunch of people.
We have our differences, but stand as a group when pushed.
We put jeans on one leg at a time, down to earth people who are not afraid to have our own thoughts or ideas.
We have a hand out to welcome others or to offer assistance.
We are proud of our history and ancestry, but are also proud to say "American" when asked our nationality.

This list is by no means complete, but it is a start in trying to explain what a "True American" is.
A good list. I'd add:

We're fiercely independent and "resist" being forced to do anything.
We're damned proud to be American.
We realize that we're blessed to live where we live.

And, as Dan said, the liberal left that currently leads our government DOES NOT represent who we are...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
A good list. I'd add:

We're fiercely independent and "resist" being forced to do anything.
We're damned proud to be American.
We realize that we're blessed to live where we live.

And, as Dan said, the liberal left that currently leads our government DOES NOT represent who we are...
IMO, probably the MOST accurate definition of the true grit of being American. This is what shaped the American dream, from our forefathers to today.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #6

In my humble opinion an American is:

-Honest
-Hard working
-Cares about themselves and family first
-Believes in and supports their Religion
-Believes in and supports the U.S. Constitution and The Bill of Rights
-Holds reverence for those that gave us those rights, and those that continue to fight for them.
-Compassionate
-Never willing to give up their freedom.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They have served their country with honor.
They are honest hard working people.
They love their country and freedom.
Holds to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights,
Lives within their means when possible.
Generous without a fault.
Will stand for what is right.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

A true American:

Understands that civil service is not the only way to serve the country.
Understands that just because someone thinks differently, they are no less American
Knows that it is not a must to adehere to other's ideals.
Recognizes individual rights and differences in people.
Accepts others even though they are not just like them.
Pays taxes.
Will defend the Contsitution to the death.
Is proud to live in the greatest nation on the planet, and welcomes immigrants who are out to make something of themselves.
Will never begrudge those who have been more successful.
Will give directions, change a flat tire, hand over a few bucks and even take in those who are on hard times.
Does not need to like baseball, hot dogs or apple pie. Football, cheseseburgers and cherry pie are just as good. If it is tennis, tofu and hummace, well that is ok...
Understands that it is not our place to appease those who hate us, it is our place to stay strong.

Freedom is not America's gift to the world. Freedom is God's gift to each human being on the planet. G.W. Bush

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

America is very diverse and they try very hard to respect these differences...sometimes to a fault.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Our cauldron has cooled over the decades and what used to be a melting pot is now a salad bowl. This will create enormous problems for us soon but that's not the point of this post. There are many people who call themselves "true, red-blooded Americans" whose ideas, ideologies and sensibilities are diametrically opposed.

All I can offer is my opinion. An American is someone who lives in a nation where oppression by outward forces (government, criminals, others) are at a minimum, and who is a rugged individualist and takes responsibility for and pride in whatever he does. When he screws up he takes his lumps, and when he succeeds he keeps what he earns. He does not expect anything from anyone but he has friends he knows he can rely on. He is willing to help anyone if he is able, but he won't take kindly to being taken advantage of. He will use his mind and talent to advance as far as he can without causing harm to others through coercion, force or threats.

Sadly, my description is probably not what America exudes to the rest of the world. The foreign policies of our government are NOT what Americans want for the most part. We have remained ignorant of what our government officials are doing in our name, but that might be changing.