Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   what speed to kill? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-speed-kill-9889/)

sgtdeath66 01-12-2009 01:57 PM

what speed to kill?
 
do you think a projectile flying at 500 fps that weighs .20 grams would kill a rabbit or squirrel?

Chester 01-12-2009 09:03 PM

If a '63 Le'Sabre moving at 40 mph will kill a deer i'm sure it will.

Dillinger 01-12-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 (Post 61830)
do you think a projectile flying at 500 fps that weighs .20 grams would kill a rabbit or squirrel?

Those are airsoft numbers bro, and having been shot by them plenty of times, I am going to say HIGHLY UNLIKELY in a hunting situation.

JD

matt g 01-12-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 61952)
Those are airsoft numbers bro, and having been shot by them plenty of times, I am going to say HIGHLY UNLIKELY in a hunting situation.

JD

500 ft/s=341 mph. There are a lot of things that will kill you at that speed.

It's not the speed that causes the trauma that leads to death, it's the dissipation of the energy that is carried by a projectile. Energy is the combination of mass and velocity. The muzzle energy carried by your projectile will be 100 grams per foot per second. The energy when it hits the target my be much less. The energy to kill large game is generally regarded as 1000 ft/lb when it hits the target.

You'll have to do the math to convert it to foot-pounds or Joules to put it in more easily related to terms.

One Joule is equal to 1 kilogram times (1 meter squared divided by 1 second squared).

dragunovsks 01-12-2009 11:06 PM

It actually takes very little to kill a rabbit, you could probably kill one with a rock in a slingshot. Now a squirrel is a different story, I once shot one 5 times with my bb gun (when I was about 10).

My opinion, why mess with something that fires a projectile at such a slow speed. Buy a shotgun and some 6 shot and don't look back. You won't starve that way.

c3shooter 01-13-2009 12:49 AM

Well, let's look at it. Formula is Mass (in GRAINS) times Velocity SQUARED (in FPS) divided by 450400. So, starting with your weight of 0.2 GRAMS, which is less than 4 GRAINS (a 22 LR is 40 GRAINS), a velocity of 500 fps- you have an energy of approx 02.2 ft lbs. A 22 LR is about 116 ft lbs.

2.2 ft lbs is less than the smallest pistol round I know of- the 2.7mm Kolibri auto. That MINATURE is about 3 ftlbs.

HIGHLY doubtful that is going to kill anything that does not have 6 legs. :p

robocop10mm 01-13-2009 04:21 PM

With the very low sectional density it will lose velocity very quickly. At 15 feet it may not even spook said rabbit. Six legs. Yes. Hunting cockroaches with an air soft sounds like fun. Still with that exoskeleton thing they got going for them, it would be a rare head shot that bags that game.

Grasshoppers with a BB-gun. That is my favorite hunting pursuit. environmentally friendly pest control and great markmanship practice.

matt g 01-13-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 62175)
With the very low sectional density it will lose velocity very quickly. At 15 feet it may not even spook said rabbit. Six legs. Yes. Hunting cockroaches with an air soft sounds like fun. Still with that exoskeleton thing they got going for them, it would be a rare head shot that bags that game.

Grasshoppers with a BB-gun. That is my favorite hunting pursuit. environmentally friendly pest control and great markmanship practice.

Isn't a roach's brain in it's ass?

Benning Boy 01-13-2009 06:23 PM

A .20 razor blade could do it.:)

canebrake 01-13-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 (Post 61830)
do you think a projectile flying at 500 fps that weighs .20 grams would kill a rabbit or squirrel?

Is it a Belgium Red Tail, or a Western Gray? :confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.