Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > what should I do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what should I do

I have a marking 45-70 it was my uncles gun I went out shooting it in Sept. The ammo barrel was bent, so I took it to a local gunsmith he still doesn't have it fixed. I call him ever other week and he tells me a lie after another (or that's what I think) but come on its been 4 months and its not fixed yet. Some one please help, what would yall do thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Marlin 45-70 not marking Dang phone

Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Well, if he's not fixing your gun, you can demand it back. If he refuses, you could call the cops. I don't think you could really fix a bent barrel (are you talking about the actual barrel or the ammo tube?) . It probably has to be replaced. Is it an old gun or a newer gun? I ask because it may be harder to find a barrel for an old marlin which would explain the wait. But if this wasn't his excuse, I would try to get the gun back. I would at least ask to see the gun.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 01-01-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #4

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If he didnt have it done by this week,i would demand it back and take it somewhere else.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sounds like the ammo tube to me, correct?

I'd demand it back. I know the few smiths in my area are backed up like a cheese fiend, but four months is an awful long time, especially when he's giving excuses. If he's backed up, there is no shame in saying so.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7789 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Don't call and tell him you want it back, go in and do it in person. If he has ordered a part (sounds like the tube magazine that you are saying is bent) that is rather simple to replace. I know when I have needed parts from Marlin it is extremely difficult to get them. (not so for other manufacturers in my experience. Ruger has sent me grip screws free of charge when I lost them!)

If it is just a bent tube magazine I bet that could be made functional pretty easily by a competent gunsmith. I have done it with a .22 magazine. If you want it replaced that is pretty easy to do if you can get the part.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A friend if mine claims to have straightened out a dent in a .22 magazine tube by working a quarter inch wooden dowel rod in and out of it. I have no idea if he's full of crap on this one or not, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8408 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Worst thing you will EVER say to a gunsmith- "Take your time- I'm in no hurry."

Sounds like you have a rifle with a damaged tubular magazine. If it does need replacing, that is not a difficult task. Neither is un-denting one. If it is not ready, there are other gunsmiths in this world. Ask for your gun back, go elsewhere.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7789 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
A friend if mine claims to have straightened out a dent in a .22 magazine tube by working a quarter inch wooden dowel rod in and out of it. I have no idea if he's full of crap on this one or not, but it sounds reasonable to me.
Not full of crap at all. I used a small ball bearing brazed to the end of a rod and broached out the dent. After that I placed the tube in a pair of V-blocks and straightened it out from there. It is not perfect cosmetically but it is functionally perfect.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

You may need to send him a certified letter demanding the rifle back. Normal procedure would be to give him 10 days to return it. At the end of 10 days, it could be considered Theft. Going in person still makes it your work against his. The certified letter is tangible proof of the demand and good evidence in court. In my jurisdiction, the prosecutors really are fond of certified letters. When a jury can put their hands on a piece of evidence, they tend to convict (of find in the plaintiff's favor in a civil case).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Newest Threads