What really pisses you off the most about our government - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What really pisses you off the most about our government

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I believe most of us know that we have a serious problem with our government. The question is what do we do about it?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The government makes new laws to prevent criminals from committing crimes with firearms,
and we the law abiding Americans are the ones who have to pay for it.
They don’t have to get a license, each and every gun they have reported to Uncle Sam.
Don’t let these guys out of prison, and lets enforce the death penalty. (an eye for an eye)

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Quote: "Government at all levels seems to be a seething hive of festering vermin hell-bent on gaining power, prestige and wealth for themselves. Our "public servants" are either conniving, back-stabbing, untrustworthy pricks, or so mortally stupid they're basically unemployable anywhere but the government.

Many here could write several pages describing in lurid detail what pisses us off about the government. I'll just say that their selective enforcement -- and selective waving -- of the law, including local laws all the way on up to the Constitution, is the root of most things that piss me off about the government."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words mean things. "Government at all levels", would include ALL LEVELS. The term "selective enforcement" is directed toward Law Enforcement. That's what gives.
We have selective enforcement of laws pertaining to our border, to foreign nationals coming into the country, to countries who refuse to accept their expats when they commit crimes (we are supposed to cut off accepting immigrants from that country, but we don't in some cases). We have constitutional abuses all over the place, particularly around 2A. We have localized LE abuses, such as New Orleans' mistreatment of legally-armed citizens. Hell, just around here I can point out a number of corrupt officials and elected politicians who engage in outright thievery with seeming impunity.

I stand by my statement: at all levels of government, there are examples of people who do wrong and serve themselves rather than serve those who put them in the positions they hold. D.C. and several state governments really are seething hives of festering vermin. Local governments near me are not any better.

I stand by the meaning of my statement: adherence to the law, rather than selective enforcement or waiving of it, would do wonders to rein in the miscreants in office. When high-level officials get away with breaking the law, what good is the law?

Please don't think this was an attack on cops.

Anyway, this is NOT the same thing as saying that government in its entirety is comprised of worthless pricks. There are certainly exceptions, and I meant no insult to those who actually do what they're supposed to do and do it well.

The issue is that the few who are screwing up are hurting the entire system and thus hurting all of us.

Last edited by bkt; 04-02-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well said BKT

Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The issue is that the few who are screwing up are hurting the entire system and thus hurting all of us.
On this point, we are in total agreement, but your original post seemed to me, to be all inclusive. May-haps I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

In my present capacity, I do work for a very liberal, elected politician, the mayor of an un-named west coast city. I disagree with almost everything he does, says, or stands for. I see a lot of crap that goes on behind the scenes, including a total disregard for the opinions of average citizens and the constant attempts to figure out a way around the law to accomplish their socio-crat agenda.

As a retired police officer, I work there in a contract capacity. Most of what I see, I'm not allowed to discuss (by contract). At least he is able to realize that he'd rather have conservative "gun guys" in his protection detail, who are more likely to recognize a threat and act on it, rather than try to analyze it and form a focus group.

But hey, the money's good, permanent day shift with 4 day weekends. Not a bad gig. Besides I don't live in the un-named west coast city, and pay no taxes there, so I don't get too worked up about it. My wife is great for helping me keep things in perspective and focused on the really important things. I usually tune out most of what goes on in the office, and spend a lot of my free time on various gun forums. Since I already have two retirement checks coming in and being potentially only months away from being eligable for social security, I really have no idea how long I'll hang out here and put up with it. At least it keeps me out of my wife's hair and keeps my tactical edge sharp.

Clint Eastwood has a line in In The Line Of Fire, where he says; "I prefer not to get to know the people I'm protecting. You might decide they're not worth taking a bullet for."

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If most are only complaining about the Federal Government; you're in good shape compared with other areas in this nation. Dictatorships begin on local levels; I know of this from experience.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #27

we as americans are definataly in a quagmire. i have spent a good 8 years of my life travelling (3 1/2 years outside the usa) and i used to make my money making artwork/crafts and playing music. this is the only country that i have been denied the right to life, liberty , and pursuit of happiness(other than mexico). i want to earn my money by my own sweat and not by begging so while broke in towns in the usa i would try to sell my artwork i made while travelling. every place in the usa i have been to(all states ececpt alaska/hawaii) i have been harrassed by police officers telling me it is against the law to sell my art without an expensive permit. well i usually had less than $100 any given time so i could not pay $1000(average) for a permit or wait to get one to sell. evrytime i got busted i stated my constitutional right to life , liberty, and pursuit of happiness. i obviously need money to buy food/supplies/travel. without the right to sell my art i was deprived life by not being able to buy food or medicine. only 5 police officers i have encountered have respected my constitutional rights and let me sell after i explained my situation. the other 100 plus did not care about the constitution.
now travelling outside the usa i have been to mexico, guatamala, el salvador, honduras, nicaruaga, costa rica, panama, british virgin islands, argentina, bolivia, peru, and ecuador. the only country outside the us i ever had problems with police selling stuff is mexico. so if i go to mexico i cant work or sell. i bet the same police who harrassed me wouldnt dare give trouble to an illegal from mexico working here though. i used to be a landscaper and cant get work landscaping now because illegals took the landscaping jobs. now i work in automotive interior repair and i thank GOD i have work. to me it almost seems like the government is purposly trying to collapse our economy. i know they threw away our constitution a long time ago.
oh yeah we have to be careful what we say now with the new "thought crime bill" they can lock us up for just talking about revolution. i think that calls for one.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #28

Default Thins Going Wrong

There is no doubt in my mind that life as we knew it in the United States 10 years ago has changed. A Dramitic change. I want to believe that it was because of 9-11. No doubt the country is suffering from the cost to wage war against terriom. One also has to look at another war front... Mexico.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #29
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfreedom View Post
every place in the usa i have been to(all states ececpt alaska/hawaii) i have been harrassed by police officers telling me it is against the law to sell my art without an expensive permit.
If you want to buy a handgun, you must first pass a background check and pay for a permit.

If you want to speak in a public park, at least around here you must pay to reserve a space and get a permit for your presentation.

We as a country have strayed into the weeds. And (some people in) government at all levels are exploiting that.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #30
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyTexan View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that life as we knew it in the United States 10 years ago has changed. A Dramitic change. I want to believe that it was because of 9-11.
9/11 introduced yet another issue to consider, certainly. But the enstupification of America began some time ago, with notable shifts in policy away from the Constitution happening under Wilson, Hoover and FDR. We saw alarming changes under Bush 41, Clinton and Bush 43 as well.

Quote:
No doubt the country is suffering from the cost to wage war against terriom.
It is not sustainable at the rate we're spending. Can we afford to fight friendly wars?

Quote:
One also has to look at another war front... Mexico.
Agreed.