What was the philosophy/rules about guns in your house, when you were growing up? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What was the philosophy/rules about guns in your house, when you were growing up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I grew up in the country. Red dirt road country. Volunteer fire department and party line telephone country.

I was given a .410 the day I was born (literally). Dad's 30-30 Marlin was on a deer foot rack on the wall of my room. His Fox 12 g and his Marlin 39A were next to the dresser in his room.

We did not depend on game to eat- but a lot of our diet involved .22 rimfire. Mom and my sisters were competent with a rifle or pistol. By age 6 I was hunting, usually with one of my teenaged uncles. By age 11 I could take a rifle or my new pump shotgun and hunt on my own, on our own property. At that age I could buy ammo at the local country store. The storekeeper went to church with us, knew my folks, and was friends with all 4 grandparents.

EVERYONE had a single shot shotgun or a rifle behind the door. Crime? Nope. Lock your doors? Nope. Know anyone in prison? Nope. Know anyone that has been shot? Yeah, Uncle Charlie. German sniper wounded him in Normandy. He got the sniper.

Guns were a normal part of everyday life.
That was pretty much my childhood to a "T", except for the knowing people in prison and the crime part. And instead of Uncle Charlie it was Uncle Booty (great great uncle) and he was wounded at Pearl Harbor.

My Daddy took gun safety seriously and I learned real early how to handle guns. The one saying my Daddy said that will always stick with me is "remember more people get shot by unloaded guns than loaded ones." He was referring to all the people that got shot because someone mistakenly believed a gun was unloaded which is why you ALWAYS treated a gun as if it were loaded.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6742 Times on 3684 Posts
Likes Given: 13295

Rule number one (silly because there were no other rules) NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO SHOOT!
Never use a firearm as a means of intimidation and never bluff. Great rule.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

The more, the better and Winchester was cuss word......

Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #24

Liked 668 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

Default Rules

#1 rule.... (Dad & Grandad to me and my brothers...)
"Don't even THINK about touching a firearm without us present... Otherwise you'll be eating like a horse for a week... STANDING UP!!"

All the other rules were taught after that first one was obeyed.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8096 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 10452

Strict no-guns household. Any friends that came over couldn't even bring their toy guns into the house. Had to be left out on the porch. My first exposure to guns was at a friends house where we could shoot skeet off the back deck. We had all of the ammo and all of the clay birds we could ever use up. I would spend a weekend there and go home with a black and blue shoulder on Sunday night. Bought my first guns from buddies or co-workers when they were available (and I still have every one!). Made up for lost time real fast, but it was dangerous. I am lucky there were no accidents because I learned most rules the hard way.

I have more than made up for the failings of my parents though. My sons were taught from birth about guns and have been shooting since they were young. First thing they were taught was the rules. After they could recite them from memory they started handling them.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7926

I spent the first 7 years of my life in Southern komiefornia, so there were no guns to speak of in the house. I twas not unti I was in middle school that I got my first rifle, a Stevens Model 987 that has since been passed on to my daughter. Before I could even shoot it i had to know the following:

the 10 rules of firearms safety in the NRA pamphlet by memory.
How to DCOR the rifle.
To always ask permission from mom or dad to use the rifle which was never a problem because when it was not getting used it stayed locked up.
You never shoot an animal you don't intend to eat with only a few exceptions. Coyotes have their place in the wild, but when they are killing your pets they forfit the protection of this rule.
ALL guns are loaded until you have verifified otherwise, and even then It WILL be treated as if it was loaded.

As I got older, I was given a locking rack to keep my 2 shotguns and the rifle in, and a few boxes of ammunition to keep with them. Rule three was null and void if I was hunting or plinking on our property, anywhere else, an adult had to be with me. My family did not rely on the wild game dinners to stay fed. We hunted because we enjoyed it, and there is just something about eating a meal you went out and worked for that is more satisfying than just going to the store for your meat.

My senior year of high school, I would take myself out hunting, dad would go if he had free time, and i would take the beagle down to the CSX tracks to run her. After school on non work nights I would go out for small game or deer. back then, a teenager walking through town with a shotgun did not cause any scenes, the cops would usually stop and ask how you did, and admire your take. Nowadays that is no longer the case.

Rule 1, 2, 4, and 5 are still in effect when it comes to the guns in my house. i still keep them locked up when they are not under the direct control of a person who knows safe handling. I trust my daughter, (who is now 16 and driving, where did the time go?) with her guns in her room. Does this same trust apply to her friends? Not until after they have proven themselves capable of the self control needed to stay safe.

And yes, if one of them asked, i would gladly teach them proper use and handling. I feel that we need more folks out there that know how to be safe with a gun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

At our house We were allowed to get Dad's gun out if we asked. Part of the deal was we could handle his .38 special and handcuffs, after we polished his duty rig and boots. At the time we thought it was a treat. In retrospect, I think we were being con'ed. In my house the ask me first, and you can see them anytime I'm home, but the activity was always laced with gun safety. My kids never had toy guns, there were only real guns in the house. Only one of my sons actually got the bug, and has his own guns now. The other two just come to my house to shoot up my ammo with their wives participating in the activity.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5926 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 6285

Our home was rural through and through, We had lots of Guns, Knives and Swords, both Mom and Dad were Fencers in college and Dad was Mountain Infantry in the Army. The rules of Guns and sharps were clear, dont touch them without an elder present ever or sitting later was gonna be a problem. Most of my guns were gifts throughout the years and they were my responsibility at all times. We locked up guns to keep them from being stolen not to keep kids from touching them, Kids I knew knew better from the git-go (Crime wasnt a big issue in the boonies but you never knew). I was taught that Guns were good and hunting was a healthy part of life for everyone except the animal we shot to eat.

By the time I was 12, I had earned the right to grab a gun and go shooting without permission from Mom, (As long as I came home when she rang the cowbell). Me and my friends all had the same mindsets about firearms and none of us has been in trouble with one in the nearly 50 years weve been shooting them.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 11-21-2013 at 10:52 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #29

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wasn't an issue, there weren't any in the house till I got my Remington 1100 when I turned 18. Dad didn't hunt, didn't get interested in the gun hobby till my brother and I were grown and gone. My brother wasn't, and still isn't interested in firearms.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 659 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 379

I had my own bolt action .22 at the age of 12. I was free to take and shoot my rifle any time I wanted. The only two rules I had was:

1. Alway shoot “up” into the trees. We had dairy cattle and to have shot a cow would have been the worst. There was nothing to shoot on the ground anyway so this wasn’t a big deal. Bluejay’s were my main target in the summer.

2. Always lift the bolt on the gun when I got close to the house. Dad's “safety” policy was a round chambered, safety on and the bolt lifted in and around the house.

“Too often … we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought,” JFK

kfox75 Likes This