Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What was the philosophy/rules about guns in your house, when you were growing up? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-philosophy-rules-about-guns-your-house-when-you-were-growing-up-100578/)

Winchester94 11-20-2013 07:19 PM

What was the philosophy/rules about guns in your house, when you were growing up?
 
I was taught to shoot by my dad and grandpa and they taught me that different types of guns were for specific uses only. I don't necessarily agree with all of the points, but I'm curious how other were taught.
The way I was taught is, as follows:
1. Centerfire rifles are for hunting ONLY, never to shoot for fun or plink with.
2. Centerfire pistols are for self defense only, except for very occasional target shooting.
3. .22 rifles and pistols are for plinking or hunting small game.
4. Shotguns are for hunting or shooting skeet.

nchunt101 11-20-2013 07:25 PM

1)Guns kill things so don't point them at anything that is not ment to be shot.
2) dont spray and pray--even when dove hunting I was reminded each time I pulled the trigger it was a 17 cents (or whatever a shotgun shell cost)
3)Guns are not toys
4)Clean them as soon as you are done.
5)Dont be stupid and pay attention to what you are doing

Winchester94 11-20-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nchunt101 (Post 1436563)
1)Guns kill things so don't point them at anything that is not ment to be shot.
2) dont spray and pray--even when dove hunting I was reminded each time I pulled the trigger it was a 17 cents (or whatever a shotgun shell cost)
3)Guns are not toys
4)Clean them as soon as you are done.
5)Dont be stupid and pay attention to what you are doing

I had these same things taught too me. Especially 3,4, & 5.

trip286 11-20-2013 07:42 PM

Line that peg up with this notch, pull the trigger. Have fun. Don't shoot anyone.

orangello 11-20-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1436570)
Line that peg up with this notch, pull the trigger. Have fun. Don't shoot anyone.

Sounds like the MS abridged version I learned. Only addition was "don't get them out of dad's closet unless he says you can" and "don't leave live ammo in your pockets for your mother to launder" and later on "don't let the police see you shooting squirrels in the yard".

trip286 11-20-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1436571)

Sounds like the MS abridged version I learned. Only addition was "don't get them out of dad's closet unless he says you can" and "don't leave live ammo in your pockets for your mother to launder" and later on "don't let the police see you shooting squirrels in the yard".

Yeah, those rules came along later. And remember, I was raised in Mississippi myself.

fupuk 11-20-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1436570)
Line that peg up with this notch, pull the trigger. Have fun. Don't shoot anyone.

Basically the same here, my dad had the firearms downstairs in a gun cabinet with all the ammo in the same cabinet.

winds-of-change 11-20-2013 08:04 PM

Guns were never talked about in my house. I grew up in a suburb near a large city. My Dad had a pistol and a rifle but I didn't know he had them until I was a teen. It wasn't a part of our suburban life and the topic never really came up.

Steel_Talon 11-20-2013 08:07 PM

When I grew up Guns were always exposed (displayed) in our house we had large glass and wood cabinets. They were honorable tools and heirlooms. We lived during a time when burglaries were not committed in our little communities.

Winchester94 11-20-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel_Talon (Post 1436587)
When I grew up Guns were always exposed (displayed) in our house we had large glass and wood cabinets. They were honorable tools and heirlooms.

That's how my family and I view them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.