What are the most ridiculous gun myths? - Page 27
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What are the most ridiculous gun myths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #261
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have my own definitions of what i call a sniper. a person who uses a certain set of skills to get within range of an objective and remove it, under stealth and concealment. like thos in the employ of the military.

IMO, the DC sniper wasn't a sniper, just a murderer. Lee Harvey Oswald, not a sniper, an assassin. killers, murderers, and assassins, maybe even doing it long range but not snipers.

these are just what i happen to think and others may have different thoughts.
Axx, my brother. Murderer is a legal term. Snipers kill people and depending which side of the fence they are on, they may or may not be murderers. The case of the FBI sniper at Ruby Ridge. He shot an infant in it's mother's arms. Wouldn't this be called a murder?..The guys in DC were clearly murderers, Oswald, murderer, The guy in the Texas tower, murderer, FBI guy at Ruby Ridge,.............Write in your own verdict. I am just saying that they used sniper skills. It was not point and spray, it was not drive by, and it was not even walking from office to office at the Navy Yard, shooting random people. They fired from a concealed "nest" or position They selected their targets, and then using their scopes, breath control and trigger squeeze, hit the target. The inocent never saw it coming Sniper is just a word. It does not apply or denie sainthood based on the shooter's motives

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 09-30-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: gramma
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #262
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
snip·er (snpr)
n.
1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.
Thank you Doc

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #263

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhunter View Post
How about that the Glock 17 would pass through a metal detector??? A plastic gun???
I remember that! The Glock was supposed to be the end of the world as we know it.

Here's another: Ammo will cook off in a fire.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #264

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have heard that one too!

would make a good Mythbusters episode!
....only if it's shooting a .45.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #265
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21216 Times on 12047 Posts
Likes Given: 52948

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Axx, my brother. Murderer is a legal term. Snipers kill people and depending which side of the fence they are on, they may or may not be murderers. The case of the FBI sniper at Ruby Ridge. He shot an infant in it's mother's arms. Wouldn't this be called a murder?..The guys in DC were clearly murderers, Oswald, murderer, The guy in the Texas tower, murderer, FBI guy at Ruby Ridge,.............Write in your own verdict. I am just saying that they used sniper skills. It was not point and spray, it was not drive by, and it was not even walking from office to office at the Navy Yard, shooting random people. They fired from a concealed "nest" or position They selected their targets, and then using their scopes, breath control and trigger squeeze, hit the target. The inocent never saw it coming Sniper is just a word. It does not apply or denie sainthood based on the shooter's motives
i agree to a point. IMO, a sniper is someone who is authorized to make that shot or kill, military or SWAT member. anyone else we can hang any other label we want to on them, murderer, assassin, killer, ect.,,,,,

yes they may use the same skill set as sniper, but for all purposes, are nothing more than a killer or murderer IMO.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #266

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i agree to a point. IMO, a sniper is someone who is authorized to make that shot or kill, military or SWAT member. anyone else we can hang any other label we want to on them, murderer, assassin, killer, ect.,,,,, yes they may use the same skill set as sniper, but for all purposes, are nothing more than a killer or murderer IMO.

Guess I'm nit picking here, but what you said was that a "sniper"/"sharpshooter" has to be given an order to actually make his intended kill.

Would that not mean if someone in a terrorist cell was given an order by the one leading it to go out and kill as many innocent people as possible, he'd be a sniper?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #267
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21216 Times on 12047 Posts
Likes Given: 52948

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Guess I'm nit picking here, but what you said was that a "sniper"/"sharpshooter" has to be given an order to actually make his intended kill.

Would that not mean if someone in a terrorist cell was given an order by the one leading it to go out and kill as many innocent people as possible, he'd be a sniper?
technically yes, IMO. just because the person is on the other team, doesn't make his orders any different than the ones our soldiers get. he just playing for the opposing team!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #268

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The word "Sniper" was coined around 1770. It was a British word for a shooter who could hit the elusive Snipe. During the Battle Of Freemans Farm on July 7th of 1777 American rifleman hid and shot "Redcoats". American Tim Murphy killed an English officer at 400 yards. The term "Sniper" was the same as the Civil War term Sharp Shooters. It is now used more often as negative description of the felonious use of a firearm.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #269

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7
Here's another: Ammo will cook off in a fire.
.... It will

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #270

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
You're right. It would take an entire thread... This one!
There isn't enough bandwidth on this forum to list all the ridiculous gun myths.