Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What are the most ridiculous gun myths?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #201
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Balota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Glenpool, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,745
Liked 1748 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
So do we call that "Combat Commando?"


Head? shouldn't you be aiming center of mass?
He didn't say which head!
__________________

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Balota is offline  
Shade Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #202
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,469
Liked 380 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default

Quote:
On 23 August 1999, Martin was charged with the murder of Barras, the attempted murder of Fearon, "wounding with intent to cause injury" to Fearon, and "possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life". Martin did not hold a valid Shotgun Certificate (licence), let alone the more restrictive Firearms Certificate he would have needed to posess the high-capacity pump-action Winchester shotgun.

English law permits one person to kill another in self-defence only if the person defending him or herself uses no more than "reasonable force"; it is the responsibility of the jury to determine whether or not an unreasonable amount of force was used. The jury at the trial were told that they had the option of returning a verdict of manslaughter rather than murder, if they thought that Martin "did not intend to kill or cause serious bodily harm". However, the jurors found Martin guilty of murder by a 10 to 2 majority.

He won his appeal not because he was not guilty but for the reasons bellow. Does he sound like a fit person to have a firearm to you. All I am saying is the case was not as black and white as some seem to think including the person that posted story.

Quote:
An appeal was considered in October 2001 by three senior judges headed by Lord Woolf, LCJ. Submissions by the defence that Martin had fired in his own defence were rejected by the appeal court. On this occasion the defence also submitted evidence that Martin was diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder exacerbated by depression and that his paranoia was specifically directed at anyone intruding into his home. This submission was accepted by the Court of Appeal and, on the grounds of diminished responsibility, Martin's murder conviction was replaced by manslaughter carrying a five-year sentence, and his ten-year sentence for wounding Fearon was reduced to three years.
__________________

Last edited by manta; 09-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #203
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pasquanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.Maine
Posts: 1,047
Liked 792 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
It is not safe to carry a glock with a round chambered because they have no safety.
I'm not so sure that one is a myth
__________________

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Pasquanel is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #204
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pasquanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.Maine
Posts: 1,047
Liked 792 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 View Post
If you play with it too much you'll go blind...or something like that.
Best to stop when you need glasses
__________________

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Pasquanel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #205
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Just got into an argument with an anti gunner. He listed plenty of myths, I listed plenty of facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Statistics for 2011

323 murders committed with a rifle (Includes all types of rifles)

496 murders committed with a blunt object.

728 murders committed with bare hands or feet.

1,694 murders committed with a knife

Source: FBI

Semi auto rifles are not an issue. They are very rarely used in crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Australia and the UK both have extremely strict gun laws. Lets look at their crime rates.

2011 Annual violent crime rate for UK - 120.73 crimes per every 10,000 people.

2010 Annual violent crime rate for Australia - 91.44 crimes per every 10,000 people.

Now, lets compare those rates to the US who has MUCH looser gun laws.

2011 Annual violent crime rate for US - 38.60 crimes per every 10,000 people.

Imagine that, countries with stricter gun control laws have higher crime rates.

Now let's focus on the US alone.

Chicago, and Washington D.C. have some of the strictest gun control laws in the US. Lets see how their crime rates compare to the rest of the nation.

2012 Annual violent crime rate for Chicago - 103.27 crimes per every 10,000 people.

2011 Annual violent crime rate for Washington D.C. - 120.21 crimes per 10,000 people.

That's looks pretty bad compared to the much smaller nation average doesn't it? I guess those gun laws just aren't working for them. If you look at other cities and states with anti gun laws, you will see the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antigunner View Post
I call bull****.



"www.policymic.com/articles/213…"





The average annual number of handgun deaths in the 5-year period before the legislation was put in place in Australia was only a little over 500. In the United States, the total number of hand gun deaths (1980-2006) is more than 32,000 per year. Firearms are involved in 68% of homicides, 52% of suicides, 43% of robberies, and 21% of aggravated assaults. With 60 times the number of deaths (and a similar number of families devastated) time will tell if the American people and politicians have the will to overcome the powerful lobbies of gun owners and manufacturers that have created the current gun climate and will resist change violently. There are currently estimated to be 310 million non-military firearms within the U.S, nearly one for every man, woman and child, but are controlled by a mere 35% of the population. If you add the firearms in military possession the number goes much higher. With this vast quantity of guns, even if legislation is passed tomorrow which encourages a reduction in this enormous supply of firearms and ammunition, it may take decades before the full benefits are seen. But Australia has shown that the benefits are out there if only we have the bravery, dedication and fortitude to try to achieve them.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Nice try though. Trying to limit numbers in USA by excluding some of most used firearms and then comparing it to countries that don't even have insane number of automatic weapons as USA.




Face it, buddy - most of you Americans are overgrown, spoiled brats who pull the gun out as soon as somebody doesn't hand you what you want. I wouldn't trust you with a stack of paper, even less so with deadly weapon. My country went through a period of civil war and we have more weapons than half of the Europe put together yet we don't kill each other as you idiots do.




Lemme guess - you're republican and proud NRA member, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
NRA member? Yes. Republican? No. I'm an independent with strong Libertarian beliefs.



Exactly where are you getting your 35% estimate? There is no gun registry, so the exact number of gun owners is impossible to calculate. Even more so since the number of gun owners have sky rocketed in recent years (based on the rise in the number of background checks done through NICS)



According to the FBI US Government, and the Centers for Disease Control, the weapon used the most in violent crimes is not a gun. It's a baseball bat.

Firearm Homicides - 11,463

NON Firearm Homicides - 16,799

Unintentional Falls - 24,792

Drug Abuse - 25,500

Unintentional Poisoning - 31,758

Motor Vehicle Accident - 34,485

Alcohol Abuse - 107,400

Unintentional Injuries - 118,021

Medical Errors - 195,000

Tobacco - 529,000



You are MUCH more likely to be killed by your own doctor, than you are by a gun.



Now then, as for Australia. Are you aware that Australia's violent crime rate is much greater than that of the USA's? Are you aware that there was a distinctive spike in crime after the gun bans were passed? Are you aware that the police are currently having trouble with criminals getting machine guns?

Criminals don't follow laws. Only law abiding citizens do.



Did you know that people who go through the process of getting a CCL (Concealed Carry License) are usually some of the most responsible citizens? The overwhelming majority (around 99%) will never commit a violent crime.

Pulling a gun on someone for not giving me what I want? That's call armed robbery, and is one of the reasons I carry a gun. See, we Americans have the right to defend ourselves. If we are put into a situation like that where are lives are in danger, we have the right to neutralize that threat. Most of the time, the presence of the gun is enough to defuse the situation. A CCL holder will rarely have to fire a shot.

Are you aware that in America, that guns are used 80x more to protect a life than to take one?



Here's a few more facts for you.

Women use guns 200,000 times a year to prevent sexual assault.

60% of Felons say they would not mess with an armed citizen.

An analysis of FBI statistics have shown that laws allowing concealed carry have reduced the number of murders by 8.5%, the number of rapes by 5%, the number of aggravated assaults by 7% and the number of robberies by 3%.

Gun free zones create an easy target for mass shooters. The vast majority of mass shootings (almost all) have taken place in a gun free zone where it is illegal for a law abiding citizen to arm themselves for their protection. Funny how mass shooters never target gun rich environments like gun shows, NRA conventions, and gun ranges.



Police vs Citizens

There are 794,300 police officers in America, and untold millions of gun owners.

The police have an 11.3% error rate. Citizens have a 2% error rate.

The average number of deaths caused by a shooting rampage when stopped by police is 14.3. The average number of deaths caused by a shooting rampage when stopped by a citizen is 2.3.

Police kill 606 violent criminals each year. Citizens kill 1,527 violent criminals each year.



I could go on, but I think you get the point of my argument.



Overgrown spoiled brats? Idiots? Ahh, person insults. That's REALLY making your argument strong :insert sarcasm:

Why don't you try being respectful instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antigunner View Post
OK, let me be clear on the sublect: CCL is a great thing, I agree - everyone should have ability to carry a weapon to defend themselves. I just prefer that it is not an assault rifle. As far as I'm concerned, main problem in USA is ability to buy crapload of firearms, some of which are quite serious hardware capable of harming a great number of people in short period of time.

As far as I'm concerned, every TRAINED ADULT should be able to purchase 1 semiautomatic handgun and certain amount of ammo.

If you need more weapons than that, you need a shrink. We're not talking about action figures collection here - if you want a crapload of weapons, you're need help.

NOBODY aside from military/police needs assault weapons. Again, as far as I'm concerned, anyone caught having assault rifle should be stuck in jail for 10 years, hard work included. Easy way to get criminal bastards off the streets and get them to repay their debt back to society.

Aside from my 2 cents, here are some interesting links for you, although I doubt they will change your mind...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/w…

I particularly like #8. Duh!


8. More guns tend to mean more homicide.

The Harvard Injury Control Research Center assessed the literature on guns and homicide and found that there’s substantial evidence that indicates more guns means more murders. This holds true whether you’re looking at different countries or different states. Citations here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…




For this one, you just can't ignore the fact that ONLY countries worse in firearm related deaths are those with strong drug cartels. Even countries as former Yugoslavia, who had civil war and have extremely high number of personal firearms have lower death rate than USA. If that is not troubling, I don't know what is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12…




Good news is, you are getting better in driving. Bad news is, you still don't know how to handle a gun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

smartgunlaws.org/gun-deaths-an…




This one speaks for itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the last fact to consider - we're only talking about DEATHS here. How many more were wounded, sometimes quite seriously but survived? I believe that would significantly increase number of people who suffered due to lax gun laws.




Live long and prosper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
So what makes you think that owning more than one gun means your crazy? Millions of people on more than one gun. They use them for sport, hunting, and fun. I own plenty (including the type you want banned). I don't want to hurt anyone.

They also use them for self defense. I know plenty of people who have multiple guns for concealed carry. They'll chose larger ones in the winters when their choice of clothing makes them easier to conceal, and they'll choose smaller ones in the summer.



"Assault Weapons" are NOT an issue. The media presents them in a false light. The are rarely used in crimes, used a lot for self defense, and used mostly for sporting purposes.

Most police officers agree with me.

www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislat…

www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislat…

That figure you called BS? That came from the FBI.

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/…

(BTW, look at the numbers. California which has extremely strict gun laws and an "assault weapons" ban has more murders, and more murders caused by rifles (including ALL types of rifle) than Texas which has no "assault weapons" ban or strict antigun laws.)

California - 1,790 murders. 45 caused by rifles.

Texas - 1,089 murders. 37 caused by rifles.



More guns equal more homicide? The facts prove that to be pure BS.

Gun ownership has skyrocketed since the 1990s. Gun are being produced faster than ever before. Using your logic, this means that violent crime and murder has also skyrocketed. Let's look at the numbers.

1993 - Violent crime rate was 747.1 per 100,000 and the murder/nonnegligent manslaughter rate was 9.5 per 100,000.

2000 - Violent crime rate was 506.5 per 100,000 and the murder/nonnegligent manslaughter rate was 5.5 per 100,000.

2011 - Violent crime rate was 386.3 per 100,000 and the murder/nonnegligent manslaughter rate was 4.7 per 100,000.

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/…

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/…



Wikipedia? Not what I'd call reliable. Most of those countries you talk about have strict gun control too. As for the cartels, I wonder why they are able to kill so many people. Maybe because the citizens can't arm themselves and defend themselves?

Smartgunlaws.org? Extremely biased source (notice I'm using the FBI, other federal agencies, and police sites for my sources. They aren't biased.). I will like to point out that while guns are used in a lot of suicides, they do not cause them. Look at Japan as an example. They have extremely strict gun laws and a higher suicide rate than the USA. If people want to kill themselves, they will find a way.

Bloomberg? Take out the stats for suicide (see above) and that number changes drastically.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #206
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
boatme98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mid Tennessee
Posts: 3,665
Liked 1871 Times on 1189 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Best to stop when you need glasses
But I keep needing thicker glasses!
__________________
boatme98 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #207
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Just got into an argument with an anti gunner. He listed plenty of myths, I listed plenty of facts.
you done good Aaron! countered with hard facts and proof.

i thought it kind of funny his little sarcastic remark about you being an NRA member!

Damn Right we belong to the NRA!
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #208
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Missouribound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

........that "90% of the American people want registration"

__________________

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Missouribound is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #209
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
........that "90% of the American people want registration"
i'm damn glad i'm part of the 10% then!
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,512
Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default

[REGARDING : "A 22 can't really kill you."


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It can only barely kill you.
YEAH! And then, you're only really 78% dead!

My all-time favorite is the old 45 fable:

The air turbulence from a 45 round may start an earthquake, will

make it rain for three days, rip the exposed skin RIGHT OFF YOUR BODY,

temporarily blind you, and make you sterile.

If you are HIT DIRECTLY with a 45ACP, it will knock you out of your shoes and socks,

strip all your clothes off, knock you through the wall behind you, kill

you before the body hits the ground, which will flip over backwards five times

landing three blocks away, AND leave a mark on your children, and

grandchildren to the seventh generation.
__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 09-09-2013 at 02:03 AM.
therewolf is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Am I Being Ridiculous? Olympus The Club House 12 12-18-2012 06:55 AM
ridiculous gas tubes Rocc05rx8 AR-15 Discussion 17 04-21-2012 10:40 PM
...i want a ridiculous gun usmcprofessional General Handgun Discussion 42 09-24-2011 01:23 PM
This is getting to be ridiculous. Shihan Politics, Religion and Controversy 19 11-26-2009 04:09 AM
This is Ridiculous Shihan The Club House 10 10-07-2009 05:53 AM



Newest Threads