Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 385 Times on 222 Posts

My father taught me lots of things. My biggest one is a "mans word is a mans bond" when I tell someone I'm going to do something I do it or have one hell of an excuse not to. The bad thing about it is my father is the biggest hypocrite. I guess that makes what he taught me more meaningful.But really I just do what is right and respect others. You know the golden rule and all. I pretty much brought myself up since I was a teenager. Mother and father were there but not really. If I got good grades or did something right nothing was said but if I got bad grades or did something bad I got my ass handed to me or my head shaved. I called it tough love.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #42
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 211

"This above all, to thyne own self be true."

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

People Like This 
Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #43
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
After giving my mother a hard time at tha age of 16, she says wait till your father gets home. 0ne thirty in the morning I'm pulled out of bed and given the beating of my life............Honor your parents and keep your mouth shut..........
I had that happen more than once. When I was a teenager and sneaking out my parents wouldn't wait up to ground me. They would let me come home get to sleep at around 3:30 - 4 am then come wake me up at 5:30 to make me do yard work and start my punishment.

My Dad always said "If a man ask you to lie for him, he will lie to you.", and when I got older in regards to working and what not "If they complain to you about other people, they complain to other people about you.".

It's all so true.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #44

Liked 170 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 144

My grandfather gave me 2 pieces of sage advise.
1- never trust a fart
2- find a DR with small fingers
These have served me well......lol

Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #45

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Not playing in traffic would be the childhood version of the lesson, although the adult version is traffic vigilance.

Traffic kills more Americans than anything else. They obviously have not learned to take it seriously.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #46

Liked 127 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
I was taught some ways to deal with bullies :

A family friend said to get my brother and the two of us jump the bully .

My mother told of a relative who used a chain his brother gave him to ambush a bully . The bully never saw the chain but he felt it , let out a scream and never bothered the guy again .

Another story was of a teenage girl surrounded by a group of teens taunting her . She picked the weakest link, a 6-year-old boy standing with his teen brethren, and kicked the little boy in the shins as hard as she could . She ran for her life as the bullies, too busy caring for the little boy, stayed behind .

A news story appeared of a bullying victim being told he'd be attacked after school . When the bully showed up, the 15-year-old victim drew a .45 . The bully tried to hop a fence to escape and was shot dead . What a pity !

A gang of kids was bullying a guy's brother so he found the least tough kid in the gang and beat him up . The bullying stopped .

A good tough little boy was beaten up by a group of little boys. His mother took him to each of the bullies' homes to beat them up one at a time, one on one .
Our elementary school bully ended up in state prison eventually anyway.

I wish I had put him out of his misery back in elementary school with my dad's 22LR revolver.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19859 Times on 11278 Posts
Likes Given: 50043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Our elementary school bully ended up in state prison eventually anyway.

I wish I had put him out of his misery back in elementary school with my dad's 22LR revolver.
Shoobee, that's called murder.

then you would be in prison.
People Like This 
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #48
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5636 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I was raised by my grandparents (ww2 vets ands what not) ands I can tell you form them it's always been this way.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story I've always been told. Probably why Texas is full of BS. lol.
Austin, your now Shooter? Hmmm, are you under the witness protection program? If so, your cover may not be as good as you hoped!

I think my experience with the older generations has showed me they knew how to talk and work at the same time. Unfortunately, today it seems people talk lots about the job at hand and end up doing less doing than talking. At work, we meet 6 times about the same thing that would have taken a couple hours to fix had we just gone ahead and done it.

Sometimes it seems there are 5 people at the table telling one what to do, when and how to do it but nobody there when it comes to doing the dirty deed when the time comes to geterdone!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #49

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Pick a side between two friends, you
make an enemy.

Pick a side between two strangers, you
make a friend.

Unload every firearm, as soon as you get
your hands upon it, it is always loaded.

The effort put forth in obtaining something
greatly influences your opinion of it's
value.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #50

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

My football coach, Paul "Hoss" Starr, who played with Sam Huff at West Virginia in the 50's taught me about being on time. He used to say, "there is no such thing as being on time, you're either early or you're late". I am a very punctual person because of that. It's one of my pet peeves, having to wait on someone.