What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1904 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Default What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.

For me I think it would be respect for others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8527 Times on 5093 Posts
Likes Given: 11152

That the world does not revolve around me. And to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #3

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Probably something my father taught me about law or philosophy ...

He told me you can never trust someone once you've caught them in one lie . He explained why we have open courts and that you can walk in and watch a trial if you want . That sometimes you don't buy something because the price is too high even if you can afford it . He explained what a dictatorship is and that being in the military was like living in a dictatorship ( for him anyway ) . He often pointed out that if two people have a fundamental disagreement, only one of them can be right . He taught me about property rights versus the welfare state and a lot of Ayn Rand stuff . Your animals must be fed before you are . Don't make fun of other people's names . Act like a gentleman in any dispute ; don't make threats to call your lawyer, curse or yell .

My mother taught me to stand up for what is right . Also, to fight back if I am mistreated because it will discourage the perpetrator from doing it to somebody else . Not to be afraid to be a non-conformist . Not to blindly follow tradition . That credit makes it possible for people to buy cars they can't afford and never to do that . To watch out for crooked business practices such as " bait and switch " . She was generally opposed to drinking alcohol and had never gotten drunk , which set a good example . She taught me to use my brain to try to find creative ways to do things or to solve problems .

She passed on social customs too : Don't speak ill of the dead. Clean the house when company is coming . Be generous to guests . Don't correct people's grammar . Be considerate of others . If you borrow something, return it in the same condition and on time . If you have guests for dinner, find out what they like to eat and drink and have those on hand . Wash hands before dinner . Not to eat the last one of anything if guests were present . Not to be ostentatious .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-21-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #4

Liked 459 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
That the world does not revolve around me. And to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.
^^^ Those three for sure. Took a while for #1 to sink in.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there were many life lessons my father taught my brother and i. from our treatment of others, our work ethic, to standing up for your beliefs.

we were taught to be accountable for our actions and our words. that honor was much than just a word and dgnity was something men of moral character had.

i can't just point to one thing and say it's the most important, simply becasue many of them coincide with one another.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #6

Liked 438 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 134

I think the most important lesson I learned was this: Don't ask questions you can't handle the answers to. That has helped me many times.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3393 Times on 1943 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

If the cycle is to be broken, then I am the one to do it.

I cannot seek help from others until I have attempted to answer the problem or question myself first.

There are plenty of people who are willing to take, but there are also some who are willing to give.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7916 Times on 4064 Posts
Likes Given: 9070

Think more than you act!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Never put a hairpin into an electrical socket,,,
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hmm... some folks didn't learn those life lessons as well as they wish they did.

I don't want to place a level of importance on anything I've learned in life, when it comes to true life lessons. But there's a couple things I've learned here and there that are common sense, yet enlightening at the same time.

Never corner anything meaner than you.

Friendly fire, isn't.

Your Lieutenant is going to get lost. Carry a map. (this applies outside of the military. Think of it as a metaphor)
People Like This