Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What is the most important lesson you learned as a child. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-most-important-lesson-you-learned-child-105295/)

rockratt 03-21-2014 01:47 AM

What is the most important lesson you learned as a child.

For me I think it would be respect for others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

winds-of-change 03-21-2014 01:57 AM

That the world does not revolve around me. And to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.

Rentacop 03-21-2014 05:45 AM

Probably something my father taught me about law or philosophy ...

He told me you can never trust someone once you've caught them in one lie . He explained why we have open courts and that you can walk in and watch a trial if you want . That sometimes you don't buy something because the price is too high even if you can afford it . He explained what a dictatorship is and that being in the military was like living in a dictatorship ( for him anyway ) . He often pointed out that if two people have a fundamental disagreement, only one of them can be right . He taught me about property rights versus the welfare state and a lot of Ayn Rand stuff . Your animals must be fed before you are . Don't make fun of other people's names . Act like a gentleman in any dispute ; don't make threats to call your lawyer, curse or yell .

My mother taught me to stand up for what is right . Also, to fight back if I am mistreated because it will discourage the perpetrator from doing it to somebody else . Not to be afraid to be a non-conformist . Not to blindly follow tradition . That credit makes it possible for people to buy cars they can't afford and never to do that . To watch out for crooked business practices such as " bait and switch " . She was generally opposed to drinking alcohol and had never gotten drunk , which set a good example . She taught me to use my brain to try to find creative ways to do things or to solve problems .

She passed on social customs too : Don't speak ill of the dead. Clean the house when company is coming . Be generous to guests . Don't correct people's grammar . Be considerate of others . If you borrow something, return it in the same condition and on time . If you have guests for dinner, find out what they like to eat and drink and have those on hand . Wash hands before dinner . Not to eat the last one of anything if guests were present . Not to be ostentatious .

Donn 03-21-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1535425)
That the world does not revolve around me. And to work for what you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.

^^^ Those three for sure. Took a while for #1 to sink in.

Axxe55 03-21-2014 05:51 AM

there were many life lessons my father taught my brother and i. from our treatment of others, our work ethic, to standing up for your beliefs.

we were taught to be accountable for our actions and our words. that honor was much than just a word and dgnity was something men of moral character had.

i can't just point to one thing and say it's the most important, simply becasue many of them coincide with one another.

TheSadPanda 03-21-2014 05:52 AM

I think the most important lesson I learned was this: Don't ask questions you can't handle the answers to. That has helped me many times.

danf_fl 03-21-2014 10:31 AM

If the cycle is to be broken, then I am the one to do it.

I cannot seek help from others until I have attempted to answer the problem or question myself first.

There are plenty of people who are willing to take, but there are also some who are willing to give.

WebleyFosbery38 03-21-2014 11:27 AM

Think more than you act!

yazul42 03-21-2014 11:27 AM

Never put a hairpin into an electrical socket,,,

trip286 03-21-2014 11:43 AM

Hmm... some folks didn't learn those life lessons as well as they wish they did.

I don't want to place a level of importance on anything I've learned in life, when it comes to true life lessons. But there's a couple things I've learned here and there that are common sense, yet enlightening at the same time.

Never corner anything meaner than you.

Friendly fire, isn't.

Your Lieutenant is going to get lost. Carry a map. (this applies outside of the military. Think of it as a metaphor)