Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What Makes a Gun Expensive?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-makes-gun-expensive-76298/)

Trez 11-13-2012 03:51 PM

What Makes a Gun Expensive??

I just really dont understand why the Garand I want is so expensive?? I mean why does a "International Harvester" stamp make a $600 gun into a $2000+ one?? IH made over 300,000 M1's, H&R made not many more but there still just $600 and can be gotten from the CMP any day of the week..
If you count Garands from all makers there were over 5 million..

Thats on par with a Mateba, and they only made 2,000 and theres nothing else like them.. (Besides a Webley) or the Medusa only 500 were made, but there only worth about $1,000??

Just seems weird that the "common" gun is worth more than rare ones... :confused:

95sniper 11-13-2012 03:54 PM

I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the time people dont know the true worth of what they have that is why you see really good guns at a steal and you see crappy guns marked up

nitestalker 11-13-2012 04:15 PM

I have a number of Garands. The IHC is at the top of the list as it has been for years. They are hard to find if you want to complete a collection. :)

BillM 11-13-2012 04:17 PM

The reason that IH Garands may be more expensive is that people are
willing to pay more for a IH Garand.

Why are they willing to pay more for IH?

Darned if I know. Perceived or real higher quality? Less "good ones" left
in the world? They come up for sale less often, thereby giving the
illusion of rarity? Doesn't really matter. As long as there people that
will pay a premium for IH manufacture, the price will stay up. You don't
like it--don't pay it.:)

chuckusaret 11-13-2012 04:18 PM

In my area I have recently seen several IH M1's and a Rock Ola M1 carbine in the $1,500 range.

The value of anything is based on what people are willing to pay.

Trez 11-13-2012 05:14 PM

It just seems weird to me a mass-produced gun that was made by multiple manufactures is worth more than one with low production numbers, and made by nobody else?

Ive seen a lot more IH Garands on Gunbroker than Ive seen Matebas and Medusas combined...

Why arent H&R Garands expensive? Like I said they didnt make very many more than IHC (less than 90,000), but they arent any more expensive than a Springfield (They made over 3 million)...

Orlando 11-13-2012 08:35 PM

The reason for the high $$$ of IHC Garands is there arent many available.
Werent a large number of them made to begin with and many of them were given, lent or sold (cant remember) to a allie country
HRA's used to sell at a higer premium until CMP received a big batch of them and now prices on them are no different than SA Garands
Its all about supply and demand

danf_fl 11-13-2012 11:18 PM

Something that nobody told you, but I had the chance to touch all IHC Garands. They all have a little gold in them. :)

Trez 11-14-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1013397)
Something that nobody told you, but I had the chance to touch all IHC Garands. They all have a little gold in them. :)

Well, why did you have to go do that for??? :mad:

The damn rifle costs more than my Scout! :p

WebleyFosbery38 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

Trez, dont try to buy a Webley Fosbery if you dont like the sticker on the IH Garands,. My 38 sold for 17K a year ago and a friend of mines 455 just sold for 23K. The reasons behind the numbers are many and deals are few and far between, the internet has made everyone an expert! Strangely, the WF Was a flop, low production and anemic sales, you couldnt give them away in the 30's.

Try to compare the price on a single penny made in 1909, The non VDB 1909 can go 20 bucks or less. The 1909 S-VDB can sell for $2500 all because of the VDB stamp, very rare, very collectable.