What kind of environment do you live in? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What kind of environment do you live in?

View Poll Results: What kind of envionment do you live in, mostly.
Urban 6 12.50%
Suburban 17 35.42%
Rural 24 50.00%
Wilderness 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #71
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7190 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 7970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
at one time we did have our own well here on the property, but now have community water supply. we don't have sewer service, but a septic tank. our mail comes by a lady who drives a Jeep. our road is a blacktop that was only paved about 20 years ago, with it being red dirt before that. no cable. cell phone reception is very poor being so far away from the nearest tower. we even still had party lines in the 1980's.

i am about 6 miles from a town with a population of about 100 people and about 10 miles from a city with a population of about 18,000 people. the entire county has a population of about 25,000 people.
Sounds allot like here, little towns dotting the countryside connecting a few small cities and a couple larger that are quite a distance apart. Funny thing was that in NY's heyday, most of these little ville's had Railroad service within a mile or two, even Vincines northern remote mountain region had reliable and speedy transportation. We have an old abandoned line 1000 feet down the hill behind my home. We could transport anything anywhere and get goods from anywhere, little rural areas were very profitable back then.

That all died when the Interstate Road system came through. The same thing is now killing the small farms in the state. Trucking is too expensive when your traveling all over hill and dale to pick hundreds of small loads. They want one farmer that can fill a semi tanker a day not 9 smaller ones (forget the fact they have to truck hundreds of tankers of toxic and vial liquid cow piss, crap and truck in hundred of loads of feed to and from towns surrounding their milk manufacturing facility). A single freight train with a 4 man crew could ferry the goods of 1000 farms and 200 manufacture across the state whereas it takes 300 semis, 4 planes and 200 UPS trucks to do the same today.

Even though the road in front of my house is now a pretty busy State Route, its actual name is "Bearpath Road" or The Bearpath as we call it. Not far from Oxbow Road, we are all about hills and valleys around here. All Named appropriately cause of their very steep climb and only became fit for wagon wheels about 100 years ago. Even rural can have traffic, our road is the main connection through the hills to all points on the compass in CNY. I often catch people stopping to hit my Wifi cause Cellphone can be spotty! I dont like all the noise it creates, a few truckloads of insulation and new windows have helped immensely and we cant hear it in the backyard so its not so bothersome anymore.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 827 Times on 646 Posts

i guess im one of those lucky guys. i can change it when i feel like it.
i live in an urban area in va beach for the summer.
i live in the suburbs in conn. in the winter.
then i live in the rural area spring and fall in the mo ozarks.
hard work, service to country, and favor from the LORD granted me this life.
its a wonderful life.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/