Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What if your guns got stolen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What if your guns got stolen?

could you provide the details that law enforcement would need to get them back to you? or at least be able to try?
i have photos of all my firearms with their serial numbers, model numbers, & specific details about each of them on the photo.
if any of them go missing (unlikely, because they're all locked up), i could immediately hand the photo(s) to a cop & at least hope they would be recovered.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Yes I have all the info. No firearms are almost never recovered. You are better off giving the info to your insurance company.

I don't need No stinking signature.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Yes I have all the info. No firearms are almost never recovered. You are better off giving the info to your insurance company.
Exactly......and start watching local pawn shops

Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1347 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Exactly......and start watching local pawn shops
Why would a thief risk a pawn shop when he can sell his goods to his buddies for a premium price? Unless the thief gets busted with all the goods your gun is gone.

Take reasonable precautions. Get a safe. Get a rider on your insurance to cover the cost of your guns. Pay your NRA dues. The NRA gives you $2,500 gun insurance for free. If you rent a room from a friend or live with a relative their insurance does not cover your stuff. Keep your home and vehicle locked. Even if your car is in a locked garage the insurance will not pay if your vehicle is unlocked.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Why would a thief risk a pawn shop when he can sell his goods to his buddies for a premium price? Unless the thief gets busted with all the goods your gun is gone.

Take reasonable precautions. Get a safe. Get a rider on your insurance to cover the cost of your guns. Pay your NRA dues. The NRA gives you $2,500 gun insurance for free. If you rent a room from a friend or live with a relative their insurance does not cover your stuff. Keep your home and vehicle locked. Even if your car is in a locked garage the insurance will not pay if your vehicle is unlocked.
I get people trying to sell me stolen guns all the tine at the shop. So apparently YOUR the one that's uninformed mon ami. Ya the things you said are good ideas but people still sell ALOT of stolen guns to pawnshops or gunsmiths if they have their own distribution stock.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2713 Times on 1592 Posts
Likes Given: 16660

Two weeks before this last Christmas,I had and emergency while I was target shooting. A main pipe from my house to my well burst.

In my haste,I flipped my breaker to the pump off and ran to the nearest hardware store. I'd forgot I was packing my .45. While in the store,someone busted my passenger side window out where my G36 was.

It was posted,(No Firearms),but I knew that. I was in a hurry and not thinking.
I would have left at home.
Police show up,take all info,dust for finger prints and I didn't have serial No. with me . Had to call then go in and fill out some paper work.
If you own a Chevy Silverado,you know the glove box has no lock.GPS,36,cd,s
and all my change.

I have not heard any news since.No gun,got to learn what crappy insurance I had to.Made several calls but to no avail.
Good Luck to ya!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:

I had some one burglarize my home. Took my flatscreen, xbox (brand new), games, surrond sound and high end stereo. Had all my serial numbers and they turned up in a pawn shop. Dumbass got alot of trouble. Burglary, b and e, reciving stolen property, and a few other things. And of all people it was a nieghbor

Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had 2 pistols stolen, had serial# for 1. I just never thought it could happen and was unprepared pistols were in a pistol safe and I had the keys, could not bolt safe down due to being in a rent house with hardwood floors. They took safe and all don't know if they ever got safe open but I do know police did not really investigate because at the time step son was main suspect and he was never questioned

Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #9

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Why would a thief risk a pawn shop when he can sell his goods to his buddies for a premium price?
Because usually thieves are lazy and often stupid, they want to unload the goods fast and don't so much care about getting top dollar, just gettin any dollar is good for them as they don't have any investment in the goods.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

orangello Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I need to update them for my Christmas pistol, but images of the rest, including serial #'s, are stored on photobucket in a private account (free).

All of the firearms offered to me privately that i knew to be stolen were priced to move. I really liked the feel of that Kahr PM40, but i didn't want one that was hot or particularly in .40. I could've had it for $100. If my firearms were ever stolen, i would be checking with pawn shops and some individuals who would be likely to know about recently liberated goods offered for sale. I do wonder what paperwork would be required for me to claim them, as some were bought privately from non-licensee's.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.