What if necessity is the mother of our invention?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What if necessity is the mother of our invention?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 947 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default What if necessity is the mother of our invention?

What if necessity is the mother of our invention?

What necessity, and what invention?

Lets assume, for a moment, we have our guns confiscated. All gone, overnight.

Hundreds of millions of firearms, and billions of rounds of ammo, all taken away.

Not that. It will happen, but what if?

Somebody, somewhere, with ideas rolling around inside their brain, will come up with something better than a hollow branch of a tree, filled with gunpowder, shooting stones. That is essentially all we have, all we are fighting for, gunpowder in a stick.

Maybe, necessity is the mother of invention, and all we need is a reason to invent the next level of self protection.

They can have my AR collection, if I can have Kirks phaser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_Star_Trek

This is a list of weapons used on the Star Trek shows. Sure that was all science fiction, but all inventions begin as the daydream of someone.

What invention can we all take advantage of, not yet developed, to take personal protection to the next age?

Last edited by AR10; 02-10-2013 at 03:27 AM.
CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, we wouldn't necessarily need a cartridge to hold propellant. CNG, CO2 even air work for propelling projectiles. Cartridge cases wouldn't even be necessary. Lasers will still be available and I'm positive there are other things that I have no knowledge of. I'm sure there are greater minds than mine already working on alternatives.

I'm also pretty sure that there are literally tons of powder, projectiles, brass and primers scattered around the countryside that have been misplaced. Probably a gun or two as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm actually thinking of trying to build a coil gun.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 708 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Well, we wouldn't necessarily need a cartridge to hold propellant. CNG, CO2 even air work for propelling projectiles. Cartridge cases wouldn't even be necessary. Lasers will still be available and I'm positive there are other things that I have no knowledge of. I'm sure there are greater minds than mine already working on alternatives.

I'm also pretty sure that there are literally tons of powder, projectiles, brass and primers scattered around the countryside that have been misplaced. Probably a gun or two as well.
That reminds me, my couch has some 22 shorts in it, I knocked over a box and they fell down inside it... Got a small hole in the bottom, maybe i can dig em out

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 02-10-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 947 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
That reminds me, my couch is full of 22 shorts, I knocked over a box and they fell down inside it... Got a small hole in the bottom, maybe i can dig em out
You are going to have to update your Signature Line!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #6

Liked 708 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
You are going to have to update your Signature Line!
I remember some saying something about 22 shorts, I believe it was you, anyway I thought I'd try em out, spilled the brand new box

I got most of them but I know there are still some in there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Contrary to popular belief necessity is not the mother of invention.

LAZINESS is!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The simple little "Molotov Cocktail" has brought down more great Armies than many rifles.

molotov.png  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #9

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you want some good ideas just do a little research on Army Field Manuals such as two that I used while in the military, FM3-11 an FM90-10 for preparation of explosive field expedients. That is if you would like to take out a platoon of bad guys or an armored type vehicle. Most can be made with ready available materials.

If the SHTF I am sure the millions of veterans will surely put their past training and past experience to good use.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

They are trying to make a weapons system using lasers. IIRC, right now the system is huge, uses a lot of power, and is no where near as effective as a gun. Someone correct me if this has changed, it's been a while since I've heard anything about it.
I think they planed on mounting the system in a Boeing 747 and using it to shoot down missles from long distances. I could see them wanting to use it as a gun, but it has a LONG ways to go.
You know whats funny about guns? They are simple. A hollow tube with powder and a projectile shoved down them is all they are. It is entirely possible to make a .22 or a shotgun with stuff you can get at the Home Depot. (I am NOT recommending you try though. That can be dangerous, and possibly illegal. Please don't even think about it.). The point is, they will never get all guns out of the hands of civilians. All it takes is someone with a CNC, or a machinist, or just someone who is resourceful to make a gun. Remember that AK-47 made from a shovel? It wasn't pretty, but it worked.