What hiking boots??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What hiking boots??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default What hiking boots??

I need to climb something... something tall, like a mountain. Spring can't come soon enough.

Two years now, I've tried three different brands of hiking boots. 2009 was a pair of New Balance hiking boots, I liked them, they were comfortable and dry, but wore out too quick. I had to buy a new pair half way through the summer. My friend recommended Merrell. Those lasted the rest of the year and halfway into 2010. A different friend recommended Keen, which I wasn't impressed with. So this year, I'm strongly looking at Danner. Their hiking boot selection is not as extensive as I would like, but they look durable.

Basically, I want a boot that will last more than one year! What do you guys have/recommend?? I'm looking for preferably ankle cut and definitely water proof.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like Vasque.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Odd that your Merrells didn't last. I use them from Spring through Fall and get at least 2 if not 3 years out of them at work, play, everything.

I liked the Keens but mine wore out within the 1st year as well. I wear a pair of Solomans in the winter, I think this is the 3rd/4th winter, but the soles are almost gone now.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My light hikers are Merrells. They are fine with loads under 25 lbs, and light as a feather. No fatigue at the end of long day.

My serious boots are REI's and they are built to last a lifetime. I've used them for about 7 years, so far, in the Sierras. Raichle makes them for REI. I've used them with 70+lbs in the pack and been fine.

My hunting boots are Browning Kangaroos and they rock.

Super Feet insoles in all of them.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got the REI Monarchs, they work good, I haven't done to much hiking with 'em, but they've held up good.

A few friends of mine swear by Danners, I haven't tried them out yet but when I get my next pair of boots I will be.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I like Vasque.
loved my summits, but i cant advise as to what vasque has to offer these days...and or whether or onto they got too pricey, they werent the cheapest to begin with. they're very light and once they break in, they perform well in comfort and flexibility...

thats the only hiking boot ive had, my second pair of vasques are still going....

i would not recommend them for very cold temps though....thats one weakness they have.

good luck shopping, so much out there to sift through

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I really like Timberland boots. I am out in the field nearly every weekend, they have lasted about 2 years so far and have a lot of tread and support left.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Browse the Promotive Companies, there are a lot of choices and bargain deals. All I can really add, I mainly go barefoot.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #9

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

These are the ones that I am looking at for backpacking with 50+ lbs. pack weight.

http://www.rei.com/product/693828

Last edited by mrm14; 01-28-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I like Vasque.
I'm on my second pair of vasque. and althought i do not like my new vasque nearly as much (1st pair made in Italy, 2nd pair made in china) as the first pair they are great boots. I wear them everyday to work in the winter and outside working and hiking and hunting. I bought my first pair in 2003 and they are still in decent shape. I have had my current pair 2 years and they still appear to be brand new.
For me if a hiking boot doesn't last 5 years its not worth buying. That said I'd look at vasque and Asolo, both really excellent boots.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...