What the he!! do you say??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What the he!! do you say??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1111 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What the he!! do you say??

Called one of my best friends last Saturday to see if he had to work this weekend. We have drug each other to gun shows, car shows, swap meets, and every home or outbuilding project that got us in over our heads for the last 30 years.

We are putting a pole building up at my dads and that call was for help setting trusses. Again we have been doing this for 30 years and I at least have no clue who owes who a favor at this point, and I doubt he has any Idea either.

The conversation went like this: Are you working next weekend?

" I don't know, mom called last night she has been diagnosed with an extremely rare and extremely aggressive form of leukemia and has between 2 days and 2 weeks to live.

Holy Sh!t. What the hell do you say?

Besides " Anything you need I am here" I mean it absolutely, but it sounds so inadequate for a friend this close.

Last edited by F4U; 08-08-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Um, there's not really much you can say. I guess all you can do is be there for him.

Very sad. My condolences to you, your friend, and his family/friends. Prayers inbound.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Pretty awful. I'm sorry. All you can do is comfort you friend and be there as much as possible.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Called one of my best friends last Saturday to see if he had to work this weekend. We have drug each other to gun shows, car shows, swap meets, and every home or outbuilding project that got us in over our heads for the last 30 years.

We are putting a pole building up at my dads and that call was for help setting trusses. Again we have been doing this for 30 years and I at least have no clue who owes who a favor at this point, and I doubt he has any Idea either.

The conversation went like this: Are you working next weekend?

" I don't know, mom called last night she has been diagnosed with an extremely rare and extremely aggressive form of leukemia and has between 2 days and 2 weeks to live.

Holy Sh!t. What the hell do you say?

Besides " Anything you need I am here" I mean it absolutely, but it sounds so inadequate for a friend this close.

This conversation is going what I THINZ,G
You don't "say" you do. Get your a$$ over there and help him do whatever it is that needs to be done. Clean the freakin' windows if that's what it will take to be there for him. Do food runs, answer the phone, or just listen. Whatever it takes to ease the load.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

Cook a meal for him and the family. Ask for particular errands you can do for him.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

Liked 2028 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I agree with everyone else here. My good friend died a few months ago. While he was in the hospital his wife was with him. One night I dropped off a bucket of fried chicken. It was only like $12. But they acted like I just bought them a new car.

My grandmother died from leukemia several years back. My mom brought her to live with her for the last bit of time. She lasted about a month I think. It was very difficult. Just try to be there for your friend. Do whatever you can.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

This is the best time to be the best best friend

you've ever been. It will mean a lot him that you are

there for him now. And my condolences. Our prayers

are with you, and him. We have a friend who's mother

is terminal with cancer, sometimes she just needs someone to

talk to, and vent.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 1377

My friend lost his dad a couple years ago from pancreatic cancer. I told him" I don't know what to say". Just listen.It turned out for us to be the thing to do because he would let me know what I needed to do. Sorry and wish you guy's the best.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I would've said, "Tell her to be a woman. Take some Pepto Bismol and walk it off." But then outloud I would've said, "I'm sorry to hear that man. Let me know if you guys need anything."

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

That's a tough one, and a situation I've experienced from both sides of the aisle, so to speak. "I'm here if you need anything" is the best I can come up with, and asking for specific needs.

When my Dad went into the hospital with aggressive pancreatic cancer, within a couple of days we (my sisters and I) realized that he likely would not leave alive. It took a week, and what did NOT help was people wanting to pray with him (he was not religious and had a dim view of preachers in general) and spoke hollow words more for the comfort of the speaker than for Dad or us. The neighbors who watched the house while empty, the friends and family who spent the night in the ICU waiting area, everybody who spelled us so we could get some sleep in the round-the-clock bedside vigil, the folks who took us out to eat or made food runs, THOSE things helped.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Doc3402 Likes This