What Happened to TV???? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What Happened to TV????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have a few shows i like to keep up with on TNT and A&E channels along with The History Channel 2.

HuluPlus and NetFlix are pretty good sources for movies and TV programs.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1493 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
I unplugged my TV a few years ago when they went all digital, I could not get any stations. I watch it when I go out of town and stay in a hotel, enjoy about 20 mins or so, then realize, I ain't missing anything worth watching.

I remember back in the day, you could have 3 generations of a family sit down and watch TV together. That would be creepy as heck now days.
That's not an issue because sadly 3 generations don't get together today for 99% of the families out there.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #33

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That's not an issue because sadly 3 generations don't get together today for 99% of the families out there.

True that. I remember my folks got my Grandparents cable. Now this was years ago, but even back then my Grandmother had it canceled, because of the language and 'sex'.

Now, I can still hear the music from a soap opera from when I stayed with them, but she drew a line.

Back in the day, yep, I am dating myself, but TV was family friendly. Now days, you can have it.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #34

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

T.V. is set up to manipulate the viewer . There are sexual cues galore ; near upskirt shots at the beginning of commercials, subliminal sexual stuff in commercials such as women reacting as cream squirts out of a tube of moisturizer , news programs that constantly tease the viewer with hints on stories that will be covered later, news presented for shock value instead of importance ( eg. "a woman murders her child" instead of coverage of the Iraqi Islamists ) . News programs kept Obama's name on the screen constantly as a subliminal way to give him name recognition and consequent election victory .

Reality shows aren't .

Advertising of food links it to various recreational activities and sex, which may be one cause of our obesity epidemic .

One has to wonder whether all of the sexual stimulation is leading to more child molesting and date rape .

Attention spans shrink . Deep thinking is discouraged .

People see opulant lifestyles on T.V. shows and then go into debt buying things they think are in " normal " households .

'Gun control ' is sold on the news, via the psychological principle of " association " . Entertainment programs are often veiled anti-gun propaganda . ( eg. McGyver, Quincey, The Gun, Dragnet ) .

Men watch T.V., unconciously looking for sexual satisfaction it will never deliver .

We can only ponder the lost educational opportunity, the lost chance to encourage better citizenship, the lost chance for pleasant and objective newscasts , the lost chance to advance our popular culture . And don't get me started on CNN .

For more info, read Subliminal Seduction by Wilson Bryan Key and Media Sexploitation by the same author . Also read The Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard .

Last edited by Rentacop; 08-16-2014 at 05:26 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 08-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #35

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
T.V. is set up to manipulate the viewer . There are sexual cues galore ; near upskirt shots at the beginning of commercials, subliminal sexual stuff in commercials such as women reacting as cream squirts out of a tube of moisturizer , news programs that constantly tease the viewer with hints on stories that will be covered later, news presented for shock value instead of importance ( eg. "a woman murders her child" instead of coverage of the Iraqi Islamists ) .
Reality shows aren't .

Advertising of food links it to various recreational activities and sex, which may be one cause of our obesity epidemic .

One has to wonder whether all of the sexual stimulation is leading to more child molesting and date rape .

Attention spans shrink .

People see opulant lifestyles on T.V. shows and then go into debt buying things they think are in " normal " households .

'Gun control ' is sold via the psychological principle of " association " .

Men watch T.V., unconciously looking for sexual satisfaction it will never deliver .

We can only ponder the lost educational opportunity, the lost chance to encourage better citizenship, the lost chance for pleasant and objective newscasts , the lost chance to advance our popular culture .

For more info, read Subliminal Seduction by Wilson Bryan Key and Media Sexploitation by the same author . Also read The Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard .
Or, just unplug the TV. Maybe read a book.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #36

Liked 1891 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
True that. I remember my folks got my Grandparents cable. Now this was years ago, but even back then my Grandmother had it canceled, because of the language and 'sex'.

Now, I can still hear the music from a soap opera from when I stayed with them, but she drew a line.

Back in the day, yep, I am dating myself, but TV was family friendly. Now days, you can have it.
I'm not currently "dating myself"...but i think everybody has at one time or another...................

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6859 Times on 3442 Posts
Likes Given: 7435

Movies and TV has about 80% crap, 15% Piss and 5% worthy of watching. Some of the Science stuff, some of the history stuff, Pickers, Crabbers, Tuna dudes and a few others amuse me, most of the other crap isnt worth wasting my time on.

The news is the biggest let down across the board, its mostly all bad and mostly badly presented and sided according to which outlet you look at. I do like "The Five"-

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/hosts

Kimberly Guilfoyle - Hot and spicy, says what she thinks and she has super legs
Greg Gutfeld - Smack down Champion, master of wordology
Juan Williams - He's a Crossover commenter and can bring it on from any direction
Bob Beckel - He's a Liberal I wanna have some beers with

I like the rest of them also, news can be balanced, fun and serious at the same time...

Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Movies and TV has about 80% crap, 15% Piss and 5% worthy of watching. Some of the Science stuff, some of the history stuff, Pickers, Crabbers, Tuna dudes and a few others amuse me, most of the other crap isnt worth wasting my time on.

The news is the biggest let down across the board, its mostly all bad and mostly badly presented and sided according to which outlet you look at. I do like "The Five"-

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/hosts

Kimberly Guilfoyle - Hot and spicy, says what she thinks and she has super legs
Greg Gutfeld - Smack down Champion, master of wordology
Juan Williams - He's a Crossover commenter and can bring it on from any direction
Bob Beckel - He's a Liberal I wanna have some beers with

I like the rest of them also, news can be balanced, fun and serious at the same time...
I watch THE FIVE, and RED EYE quite a bit, since i'm on a different shift about every other week at work. Far as i'm concerned, about the best stuff on TV...And FOX NEWS has quite a few foxy females....Banderas is on the weekends...

Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #39

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

FOX News reporters speak in ghetto slang :
" We'll be all over that story "
" What da mom says and what da cops say "
" 24-7 "
It would be better if they'd learn to report in formal English if " ya get where I'm coming from " .

FOX started the trend toward using women in short skirts as sexual bait to get viewers . It is sleazy and looks silly when half-dressed women are sitting with a man in a suit .

Still, FOX is the only real news on T.V.

I swear that if Obama took a crap on stage during a press conference, Bob Beckel would spin the matter as follows : " I doubt there's one President who hasn't done something embarrassing and the Republicans are playing this up as much as they can " .
Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #40

[QUOTE=Rentacop;1621257]FOX News reporters speak in ghetto slang :
" We'll be all over that story "
" What da mom says and what da cops say "
" 24-7 "
It would be better if they'd learn to report in formal English if " ya get where I'm coming from " .

FOX started the trend toward using women in short skirts as sexual bait to get viewers . It is sleazy and looks silly when half-dressed women are sitting with a man in a suit .

Still, FOX is the only real news on T.V.

I swear that if Obama took a crap on stage during a press conference, Bob Beckel would spin the matter as follows : " I doubt there's one President who hasn't done something embarrassing and the Republicans are playing this up as much as they can " .[/QU

They still have "Old man in a suit" news (Scott Pelley, Brian Williams) Try that...Some of us dont mind a little "trim" with our news.......