Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What got you into guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I've always been into history, especially WWII. My grandpa was in the 5th armored division during the war.

The historical standpoint is 99% of why im into guns, thats why most of mine are milsurps.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Good question; every letter to Santa from the first i dictated until the one that got me that bolt-action .22 on Christmas #6 had a request for a "machine gun" at the top. I blame that tactical baby rattle.

I will say, the first time i fired that .22 it was to kill a squirrel that Christmas morning...and squirrels do resemble tiny bears somewhat...

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2726 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 16718

^^Eeek..! Ban "Tactical Baby Rattles" , For the childrens..!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

No idea. My Dad hunted when I was a kid. Unsuccessfully I might add. I think he just wanted to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours on a Saturday morning during the season. He fished when it was warm enough. That's his real passion. He's trying to break into the professional angler scene, like Bill Dance and his like. He's not far from it either.

That was back when he was a loving Dad, willing to come home after work instead of getting high and drunk at the bar.

I remember watching him from the front steps, walking out to his old truck with his Marlin .30-30. And then one day he asked me to carry it for him. I was maybe 4 or as young as 3.

He was never a big gun guy, but I bugged him like crazy to let me shoot it. He wouldn't of course, but he borrowed or bought a Marlin 60 and took me out a few times. Then he got me a Daisy Quicksilver pellet/BB rifle. I was 4.

My firearms safety and operation training consisted of, "line that peg up with this notch back here. Don't shoot yourself or anyone else."

Ear plugs? What are those?

When I was 9 I had pretty much commandeered the 60. That same year I was taken on my first dove shoot, a few days before my tenth birthday, where his friend let me shoot a Remington 870 12 gauge. I went nuts over shooting a big boy gun, and later that year I received one for Christmas, a mossy 500 in 12 gauge. Somewhere in between all that, my paternal grandad let me shoot his old Colt .22 semi auto pistol. I want to say it was a woodsman, but it looked so much like a Walther P-01 that it's not even funny.

Two years later, Mom and Dad split. Moving in with my maternal grandparents, I spent a lot of time in the woods. Had a lot of emotional crap for a 12 year old to deal with. Granddad told me to start taking his old .22 with me, in case of snakes or any other trouble (meth labs were just beginning to catch on in those parts, out in the boonies). It was a 9 shot revolver, DA/SA. I think an H&R.

It just kinda progressed from there.

That old .30-30? It was fired the last season before they split up. May be the only time it was ever actually fired at a deer. A clean miss. I don't think it's ever been cleaned. Didn't work at all the last time I tried to shoot it. Wouldn't feed... managed to get it to fed... Then it wouldn't fire, never got it to either. And then it wouldn't eject. Told my Dad about it. He placed it in the closet with a promise that, "one day, I'll just have to take it to a gunsmith..."

Knowing my Dad, it may actually still have that unfired round in the chamber, in the back corner of the closet, collecting dust.

Last edited by trip286; 03-14-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #15

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Default Guns...???

Can't really remember a time when there wasn't a firearm of some sort around... I'm the son of a law enforcement officer and hunter... HE was the son of a WW2 vet and hunter... who was the son of a WW1 vet, bootlegger and yes..hunter. MULTIPLE generations of shooters passing it on and having fun doing it.

Now it's my turn!! My boy started shooting when he was 5... I bought him his first rifle when he turned 8... now he'll 11 and says he wants a 22lr pistol for his next birthday. I am soooooooo proud!!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #16

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

In the early 2000's I was repossessing cars and got shot at and chased over a Volvo I ended up buying for $300(for spite) and swore I'd never pick up another without a gun, and the next time I would be able to defend myself. Bought a Glock 21 and have been carrying daily sense.

My family has some military history but I've never been big into guns until I needed one..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2726 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 16718

Well Trip , I liked your story and it brings you to the "Human Level"..!Sad , but human.! We all got here by different paths , but we all have the appreciation and belief of what our fore-fathers had bestowed upon us !

There are those that would threaten us and our God given right to ..BREATH.!
As long as we do not impose upon others , they , in return best not "Impose"
upon us..! The arrogance of others does have some advantages..!

They see an introvert , timidness , shyness , easy prey , apathy.......!
PASSIVE until PROVOKE..! Please do , under estimate..!

My beliefs and the need has only increased , live and LET LIVE..! I come from sheep , but by choice , wear the Garb of the sheep dog..! Ever watching..!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 739 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Wife and kids were attacked by a pitbull... nobody was hurt. I tried kicking the dog, but hitting a telephone pole with a rolled up newspaper would have been more effective. Made me realize that I needed help protecting my family, whether it be zombies, loose dogs, or aliens.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19581 Times on 11113 Posts
Likes Given: 49291

pretty much through my father in the late 1960's when he started target shooting and reloading. he bought a Winchester M70 in 243 and a Browning SA-22 for target shooting. then a couple of years later he added a couple of pistols for fun shooting, a couple of Walther PPK's IIRC. one was a 380 and i can't remember what caliber the other one was now, maybe a 32.

the first shotguns were from my grandfathers small collection of firearms along with a 9 shot H-R revolver.

neither my father or grandfather were into hunting, but i did go hunting with my uncles and cousins. my father only really cared about making very small groups on paper! my grandfather only kept guns as more like tools that had a specific usage. many years later, i found out why my grandfather wasn't big into guns and it came from his service in WWII. my father said he saw too much killing and just didn't have a big desire to use them recreationally anymore.

but guns in some fashion have been a part of my life, sometimes a small part and sometimes a larger part. i have kept them from the time i was a teenager until now for protection and always will. many times in the past they were a part of a sport and hunting. now mostly SD and target shooting.

BTW, my father still has the M70 and it's still just as accurate even 40 plus years later!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
In the early 2000's I was repossessing cars and got shot at and chased over a Volvo I ended up buying for $300(for spite)...

Nooooo my bucket/volvo!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This