What Got You Interested in Guns? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What Got You Interested in Guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My father got me interested in guns, shooting, hunting. I never had a BB gun, started out with his dads single shot 22. Then moved up to the bigger stuff.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #22

Liked 336 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My Dad started my brothers and I when we were about 6 years old. Been shooting ever since then.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My Father, he was a LEO when I was groing up, he was also a firearms instructor and on the pistol shooting team, later he ran the acadamy until he retired. So basicly I was around guns and shooting since I was about 7. He took me hunting and to the police range and instilled a love for shooting that hasn't waned even a little bit. He's 71 now and had a stroke 2 years ago that left him in a wheelchair... I now take my son who will be 16 in May, shooting and hunting and he has also developed the "itch". It is some great times we get to spend together. I still remember clearly the first time my Pop took me to shoot, standing behind me showing me how to hold, see the sight picture, now slowly squeeze...
Thanks CA,for asking.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well? Who's next?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My grandpa got me started. They were dirt poor, and he literally fed the family by hunting and fishing. I absolutely loved helping him and learning from him. To this day, he holds the record of "World's Best Outdoorsman" to me. I'm trying to make him proud by teaching my son the same things he and my father taught me. Damn allergies are acting up...

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #26

My dad got me started. He took me along hunting from early on. Back in the day I wasn't allowed to hunt elk with him because you have to be 12 to shoot a bolt action rifle legally. Something to do with the hunting license.

He did however let me fire his AK4 (Swedish G3A3) out in the woods behind our house.

We also went fishing frequently, and there's nothing like the patter of rain on top of metal siding as you wait for a rainbow trout to cook in aluminum foil.

He passed away when I was eleven, so I never really got into the actual shooting part of hunting, but he gave me plenty of experience when it came to driving and tracking game. After he passed I gave up on hunting and fishing, and haven't done it since. It's high time I got back into it.

Once I moved to the states I joined the NRA first thing and bought my first pistol half a year ago. I am now saving up for a 1911 and an AR.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a boy I was always interested in guns. We had many in the house but we didn't shoot often, and as my father grew older he and his friends swithched from hunting to golf. I spent most of my formative time on the golf course with my father. Having the firearms in the house did however allow him to pass on a general respect for the weapons and teach the essentials of firearm saftey.

My grandfather gave me my first rifle when I was 9, however it was hardly used as my father's interest had moved to golf.

When I moved out on my own, I bought my Mossberg 12 gauge for home defense. I picked the 12 gauge because it was affordable it was versatile, and I didn't have to register it.

More recently I purchased my first pistol, as I finally had the time and money to acquire some training and afford the purchase.

My next purchase will be a safe so I can take control of my father's collection, and from there I need a nice rifle with high capacity magazines.

So defense was my first priority, ability to hunt and protect myself in the zombie apocolypse is the second, and just plain fun will be the third.

When I get to the fun stage I'll get my first 1911.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #28

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Damn allergies are acting up...
You have a Costco nearby? They sell a Zyrtec knockoff that sells for a FRACTION of what the brand-name costs. I've been great so far this allergy season, which they say is going to be the worst in years, maybe decades.

Sorry about the thread detour.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
You have a Costco nearby? They sell a Zyrtec knockoff that sells for a FRACTION of what the brand-name costs. I've been great so far this allergy season, which they say is going to be the worst in years, maybe decades.

Sorry about the thread detour.
I found an old pic of you...
donkey20oatie20image1.jpg  

Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #30
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dad always had guns when I was a kid. But the only time we got to shoot was when we'd go down to the farm he grew up on. Trips to Grandma's house didn't come along very often so they were special, and to be able to have one on one time with dad learning about guns and the rite of passage that goes along with them was priceless. He'd take my sister and me down to the creek and we'd get to shoot turtles (read, the water).
It wasn't until I was probably in 7th or 8th grade that dad started taking me deer hunting for the weekend, and when we went it was just he and I, so looking back, those times were more special than I ever knew. Time spent around a camp fire, talking.

I never got a BB gun. My first was a Marlin Model 60 when I was 14 and then I got a Browning BPS for gradation. I still have them both.