What Got You Interested in Guns?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > What Got You Interested in Guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default What Got You Interested in Guns?

Like the title says, what got you started? New member, old member, doesn't matter, what's your story?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a kid growing up in a small town in the mountains of Arizona (yes, there are mountains in AZ!), we did everything outdoors, and hunting/shooting/fishing was a big part of it. I joined the NRA as a kid through the Boy Scouts and also because my father was an outdoorsman and he made me. I've been a member ever since.

My Dad, my friends, and I always had plenty of rifles around, never handguns. That probably explains why I love pistols so much now, because I got into them much later in life.

Now that I've collected some good pistols....I find myself being drawn back into long guns more and more. I'll always love the pistols, but the whole concept of getting WAY out there that fascinates me, I think.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I watched Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickock, The Lone Ranger and Gene Autry on TV. I fantasized about being a cowboy and fighting the bad guys. I has a fanner fifty (actually two and wore one rig backwards) while a youngster.

My Dad got me interested in shooting by taking me shooting. I still have the family Winchester Model 90 .22 he taught me to shoot with. It was always a passion but I never had the money to properly get into the sport.

When I finally got my act together, my Dad gave me his guns. I taught my son and daughter to shoot with that same .22 I learned on. I decided it would be prudent to expand on the families weapons holdings only within the past 8 years and acquired a few more pieces.

I used to hunt and may again soon. I like to shoot targets and learn about how firearms work. This is why I am planning an AR build soon and my son wants to do an AR-10. He apparently has more money than I do!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Snakes!! I grew up in Arizona on a ranch as well, rattlers were everywhere.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

We always had guns around the house as I grew up. Got my first rifle at 10 and handgun at 12. Never was into hunting at all but I loved shooting of all types. My stint in the Air Force prevented my involvement for over 20 years as it was just difficult to maintain them as I moved around so much. Had a couple around the house but was really out of the "sport" during that time. Really got back into collecting and shooting 7 years ago and I'm having fun.

Besides, my guns are holding value a lot better than my stocks or cash are...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Like the title says, what got you started? New member, old member, doesn't matter, what's your story?
My parents split when I was 12 and my uncle gave me an old .410 Which was our primary source of meat for several years

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I first got into guns as a kid because my grandpa left me his shotgun when he passed. But then I didnt really shoot for about 10 years, then in my 20's I had a neighbor that hunted elk and wanted me to come with him. So I went to the gun store with the intentions of getting a 30.06, but instead came home with a 1911. Man that thing just looked so cool, I had to have it.

Well, hunting season was approaching so I went back to the gun store, picked up a Browning 30.06, and the owner through in a remington 597 in on the deal.

Now......I have 30 guns.....my wife will only let me get a max of one a year now.

I just love collecting them, the security it provides, and the sport of hunting or being at the range.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.
What he said

Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hunting with my dad. It wasn't a big deal, just something we did.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello