What events stand out in your mind? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

What events stand out in your mind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

(1) My wedding day
(2) Turning "Blue" (completing Army Infantry course)
(3) my first alcohol experience
(4) 9/12, America suddenly realizing they were Americans
(5) ineffable with a lightning fast comeback regarding someones first "experience"

Old 11-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

1. JFK assassination - being from DC it really hit home.
2. Seeing the Beatles at DC stadium during their 1st US tour - 1964. Beatlemania begins!
3. 1968 - the whole f**king year: Tet Offensive - MLK assassination - RFK assassination - Riots -Democratic National Convention, Chicago - Nixon elected President - etc. - etc.
4. Armstrong's Moon walk.
5. 9/11/01

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
1. Berlin wall I remember that.
2. Y2K (I was hoping and praying for it to fix my credit back then) This was a somber time as I was visiting my cousin who was dying from emphyzema and years of being an alcoholic. Which a lot of that stemed from he two tours in Viet Nam.
3. World Series Earthquake (October 17, 1989 at 5:04 P.M.) I was in the garage when everything started swinging and falling off the walls.
4. Challanger happend at 8:39 in the morning. I was getting ready for school. We watched some of it on the TV in school.
5. 9-11 I was at work and had just gave a Rabies shot to a dog when we got the call to shut down and send people home. It was very quiet that day and I hate to say it but I went fishing. They shut down the base and said to go home and wait. All people who didn't need to be on duty were sent home.
I forgot about Y2K. I spent it sitting in front of the "Bat Phone" with a loaded side arm on my thigh and a loaded rifle in my hand. It was my job to initiate the alert process if **** hit the fan and the Guard was needed to quell civil unrest.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
4. Challenger happend at 8:39 in the morning. I was getting ready for school. We watched some of it on the TV in school.

That was the day I enlisted, I was at the MEPS and it was on the TV right before I took my oath.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I'm only 24, but here are mine.

1. Sept 11, 2001- I was in school taking the I-step test to graduate high school in 04'. I had a lot of friends who signed up for military service that day.
2. First car accident- I found out that Buicks are built like tanks, at least when you hit em with a Dodge Neon.
3. The day I shot my first deer.
4. Two weeks ago when I saw my babies heart beat on the ultrasound- Yes, I know what causes that!!! LOL
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

1. The day I married my wife.

2. The birth of my first child (daughter).

3. The birth of my second child (son).

4. The birth of my third child (another son).

................yeah I know, I'm a big into family, and I'm a bit of a sucker sometimes...lol.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

1. Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon at my grandparents' house. (They had a TV!)
2. RTC GLAKES when the Islamofascists took over our embassy in Tehran.
4. In the Airborne Transceiver lab at NATTC Memphis when the instructor came in, flicked his cigarette behind one of the benches, and announced the news of Desert 1.
3. Anwar Sadat assassination. I recall Tom Brokaw warning that the footage had not been viewed by anyone prior to its transmission, and it was some pretty grim stuff. I stood where it happened a few years later.
4. Dropping my seabag in my room at the Borinquen barracks in Puerto Rico after a short-notice flight in from the ship, turning on the TV and watching live coverage of Waco. The only one of these which made me cry, BTW. Both for the victims, and for our nation.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most of the above plus I remember the exact spot I was standing and what I looked at when the news flash of the attack on Pearl Harbor came on the radio. Also my exact location at the time of JFK's death.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

God, so much of our memories are based around National Tragedy.

I was looking over the list and the day The Marine Barracks were hit in 1983 came to mind. I was watching the news with my dad, I remember how mad he was, just livid, and while I was still pretty young, I learned on that day that True Evil existed and that you can't take "people doing the right thing" for granted.

So many, so many innocent lives lost and those days are what stand out the most, with a few exceptions obviously.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #20

These are in chronological order, other wise #4 would be number one

#1 I remember watching the helicopter retrieving marines from the embassy in Viet Nam, it was what got me to start watching the news.
#2 Reagan shooting and then finding out that John Hinkley Jr. was only trying to impress Jodi Foster
#3 911
#4 becoming born again for sure "putting Jesus first in my life" beyond the shadow of a doubt
#5 death of my dad