In What ERA would you have liked to live???... - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

In What ERA would you have liked to live???...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So your one of those new world types? I am too to an extent, biggest difference between me and die hard new worlders is I just think there's things God just didn't see fit to tell us. You have to admit, the time issue has some mystery. I asked a theology professor (who is a new worlder) how he accounts for dinosaurs and the billions of years scientists say our earth has been here. He brought up a really good point when he asked me "just what does that have to do with your salvation?" I haven't worried about the age of the earth since then.

I don't know how old the earth is, I said 6000 years to spite the moderator who basically said I had to live forever to enjoy my fantasy because he takes his fantasies too seriously or just enjoys ruining others fantasies, not sure which.
"---------\_/

Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #42

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
I don't know how old the earth is, I said 6000 years to spite the moderator who basically said I had to live forever to enjoy my fantasy because he takes his fantasies too seriously or just enjoys ruining others fantasies, not sure which.
Oh, okay. I've been into some of those debates, and always looking for new view points.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Oh, okay. I've been into some of those debates, and always looking for new view points.
You have a great point but I doubt the powers that be would allow us to debate it. Wouldn't be much of a debate anyway, we think alike it seems.

I always just go with: If I was supposed to know, the bible would say so.

I figure the dinosaurs and such were here sometime between day one and the creation of man.
"---------\_/

Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #44
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

The bible is a good historical reference book and NOT a science book.

aaaand here we go.....

>>ducking<< INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
You seem to have a misconception of how good cars were in the old days.
In the '50s and '60s a car was considered worn out at 50,000 miles. Now it is not unusual to get 200,000 out of a car. The older cars had bad brakes, no seat belts or air bags, they had glass that would cut you to ribbons and steering columns that could penetrate your chest in a fender-bender. Tires were not near as good as today.Ten to fifteen miles to a gallon of (.$29 ) gas was considered average

Cars are one of the things that have improved a great deal in my lifetime.

And that's why my '50 Chevy Stepside was still going strong with the original motor and drive train when I sold it back in 2002? Huh. And to think, my '05 Focus didn't last 5k miles before it needed a new computer and cv axle.

Nah... The new ones may last longer (in some cases), but the older ones were infinitely easier to fix. Where I had no choice but to put the focus in the shop, I could fix about anything on my '50 Chevy with a hammer and duct tape. And my '65 Ford F100. And my '70 Cougar.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
The bible is a good historical reference book and NOT a science book.

aaaand here we go.....

>>ducking<< INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, a person has to just choose for themselves who they're going to believe-God, or the scientists.

I believe in my God. I just think that it's possible there are unanswerable questions, and some of them are unanswerable because there's no good reason for them to be answered. Like the age of the earth. It doesn't concern my faith and salvation, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #47
fmj

Quote:
And that's why my '50 Chevy Stepside was still going strong with the original motor and drive train when I sold it back in 2002? Huh. And to think, my '05 Focus didn't last 5k miles before it needed a new computer and cv axle.

Nah... The new ones may last longer (in some cases), but the older ones were infinitely easier to fix. Where I had no choice but to put the focus in the shop, I could fix about anything on my '50 Chevy with a hammer and duct tape. And my '65 Ford F100. And my '70 Cougar.
With a non vented gas tank behind the seat NEVER for the life of me could i figure THAT ONE out.

But yeah, there was more (good quality) steel in the drivers door of that truck than there is a full size luxury car these days. Engines that actually had compression and HP. I could go on and on for days....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #48
fmj

Quote:
Really, a person has to just choose for themselves who they're going to believe-God, or the scientists.

I believe in my God. I just think that it's possible there are unanswerable questions, and some of them are unanswerable because there's no good reason for them to be answered. Like the age of the earth. It doesn't concern my faith and salvation, so it doesn't really matter to me.
FMJ <---- is spiritual...not religious.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #49

Yeah, the gas tank was nuts. And that 300cid straight 6.... top speed in mine, with a 3 on the tree, was 55mph going down hill. But I pulled a big rig (no trailer) to a truck stop with it.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
FMJ <---- is spiritual...not religious.
As am I. I read the book, have fellowship with other believers, and I don't go to church.