Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What does your avatar mean, if anything? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-does-your-avatar-mean-if-anything-54685/)

Vincine 01-03-2012 12:47 PM

What does your avatar mean, if anything?

Someone PMed me asking about my Avatar. So I explained it:

The 'Golden Spiral/Rectangle' is math. It's the Fibonacci number sequence. It represents science, analysis, the Scientific Method, the Enlightenment, etc. It’s found all throughout nature, most visibly in the Nautilus shell.

The shell represents nature, natural laws, Mother Earth, the Wheel of the Year, etc.

The two of them adjacent each other display their 'oneness'. It indicates that analytical science and the spirituality of nature are not in conflict. I experience awe and have reverence for both as they’re different views of the same thing.

Basically it symbolizes my Pantheism. I seem to be a 'Born Again Pagan'.

Why have you chosen the avatar you use?

kenhesr 01-03-2012 01:09 PM

Mine isn't quite so cerebral - I just like Boston Terriers!!!

alsaqr 01-03-2012 01:24 PM

My avatar is a photo of an ammo destruction shot at night in Saudi Arabia in 1992. There were over 40 tons of 4.2", 105mm and 155mm WP projectiles and about six tons of C-4 from MICLC.

Shoobee 01-03-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Vincine.

Mine is a USMC officer's sword.

ScottA 01-03-2012 01:30 PM

I change mine up quite a bit, but it always has something to do with my #1 passion. There is no faster way to turn money into gaseous vapor.

TimKS 01-03-2012 01:32 PM

Does mine really need to be explained? :D

Vincine 01-03-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr (Post 666148)
My avatar is a photo of an ammo destruction shot at night in Saudi Arabia in 1992. There were over 40 tons of 4.2", 105mm and 155mm WP projectiles and about six tons of C-4 from MICLC.

My father’s family’s had a metal supply depot in Sicily. It had a turntable for trucks to roll onto. It would spin around to facilitate loading of metal rods, beams, pipes, etc. onto the trucks.

When the Nazis rolled into town they thought it was a perfect place to put their munitions, so they took it over. Before the Allies advanced up the valley, the Navy made sure they thew a couple of shells into it. The Allies had dropped leaflets giving the town’s residents some time to leave before the shelling. The residents went to a nearby hillside where they kept their vegetables in the caves. They all sat on the hillside to watch the fireworks and comment on who's house just got hit and who's didn't. My father said the town exploded for three days.

PanBaccha 01-03-2012 02:26 PM

Pan Baccha ... two individual gods of eros of antiquity. :cool:

danf_fl 01-03-2012 02:30 PM

Okay. I'll play.
Mine is a self promotion of a sort.

c3shooter 01-03-2012 02:56 PM

If you have ever seen the movie Cool Hand Luke, you will remember the well known line uttered by Strother Martin.