Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What does it take to walk away from a gunfight? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/what-does-take-walk-away-gunfight-6446/)

dirtysouth 08-21-2008 07:05 AM

What does it take to walk away from a gunfight?

We as a fourm have been talking alot about could you pull the trigger if you had to? Or what does it take to leave a gunfight alive? Or how fast are you drawing your gun? Is walking away going to make me a chicken? You hear words like situational awareness. Some people might not know what that means.

Situational awareness is the perception of environmental elements within a volume of time and space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status in the near future. It is also a field of study concerned with perception of the environment critical to decision-makers in complex, dynamic areas from aviation, air traffic control, power plant operations, military command and control — to more ordinary but nevertheless complex tasks such as driving an automobile or motorcycle (and carrying a firearm).

Well what does it take to walk away from a gunfight? Everybody has there opinon. Here is an opinon of one member "Nobody can truly answer that question until faced with a conflict." (RL357Mag). I have to say that i agree but there are things that we can do to give us that edge. Practice! Im not talking just practicing with your firearm, You have to practice Situational Awarness (SA). You cant just expect to be able to just do this. You have to train yourself to look at your enviorment and what is around you. I like how this guy summed it up. Step 1. Pay attention to what is going on around you
Step 2. If something says "Leave NOW" pay attention to that voice
Step 3. Do NOT state "If you do X, I will do Y." Why give advance notice of intentions? The word "STOP" should be adequate.
Step 4. If you HAVE to bite, bite HARD. (c3shooter)

Practicing with your firearm is important also. You say well then what do i practice, from how far do i practice, and what do gun do practice with? This is what i belive. Practice accurcy, shooting from cover,from differnt position, with both hands, practice your draw is it clean and smooth you dont have to be fast you just have to make sure you have that draw down from concealment. This is what one of our memebers says about the draw of a weapon.

In my opinion having a weapon available on your person is far more important in the real world than quick draw skills and having all of these so called experts running around insisting otherwise is nothing but a detriment to our cause of self protection .

Why ? Because most people even on duty Police never really have these skills and many more people due to physical reasons "something as simple as Arthritis in the hands even a mild case" never will , yet to deny them the ability of self defense is insane just because they can't draw and fire X# of shots in 1 1/2 -2 seconds .(BigO01)

From how far do I practice? As far as you feel comfortable shooting accuratly. That doesnt mean a bad guy is going to come up to you can you hit me at this distance. Sometimes the decision to engage doesn't belong to you. You do what you have to do over that distance initially chosen by someone else. It could be six feet; it could be 150 feet. Doesn't matter! What does matter is winning; and, a seasoned gunman will know and will do whatever he has to in order to survive the fight - Period. (G21.45)
Some people think they are real slick with a gun. They say i can draw a gun in 1.5 seconds and shoot 2 rounds dead center of the head. Nobody is going to get me. I say to that can you do it when faced with an armed attacker comming at you. Can you do it with somebody shooting at you.

What gun do i practice with? What ever gun your going to carry on you to defend your life and your loved ones.

Is walking away from a fight that you see comming going to make you a coward? You can call it "cowardice" if you want too, but personally I think that examining a situation, and the future impact, is more clear headed and less likely to land you in cuffs, or worse, than being the Testosterone Poster Boy for the Left.... (Dillinger).
Anticpation of a situation could very well save your life in a gun fight, Because you could very well get out of there before there is even a fight.Action, in and of itself, may or may not be useful. Lots of people take action when confronted. So what? Too many times that action is entirely inappropriate and may get them killed! In my opinion the one answer that is more correct than all the others is ..... ANTICIPATION!

When you anticipate, you form plans; you decide between choices; you gauge the situation; you gauge your opponent, and actively seek to exploit any perceived weakness, emotional foible, or tactical mistake he might demonstrate. Simply stated: You've got to be one small step, and one short second ahead of the other guy. When confronted you have to be able to demonstrate an immediate ability to be instantaneously lethal. (G21.45)

Your body language plays a big factor weather your going to be attacked sometimes. If you go around looking all scared and soft somebody is going to get you. If you show people HEY IM NOT GOING TO TAKE YOUR SHI!!!! they are more likely to leave you alone. Either one the person is aware and sees the trouble coming and their body language usually ends the confrontation before it begins , placing ones hand on even an unseen gun in preparation to draw will usually make a punk back down and go find another target (BigO01)
Here is a quote from somebody that i have read for many years.

Clint Smith; if a fight finds its way to us,
it will not be what we want it to be, it
will be what it is.

Here is an article that might give you some insite

Bruce N. Eimer in his artical on Psychhlocical Preparedness for Combat Survival says
"Winning a fight for your life and surviving depond on both psycholocical preparedness and well practiced fighting skills. In this article, I focus on psychological preparedness for combat survival in the context of self defense. It encompasses four key elements Situational awarness; Positive self-talk; fear control; and mental reherasal."

The first key element is “Situational
Awareness”. Situational Awareness means
being your own bodyguard. It means learning
Colonel Jeff Cooper’s color codes and training
yourself to tune into the appropriate level of
awareness to the circumstances.

The second key element is “Positive
Self-Talk”. Self-talk is the voice we all have in
our head that tells us what’s going to
happen and what will happen if that does
happen.

The third key element is “Fear Control”.
Noted author and security consultant Gavin
de Becker wrote a book about The Gift
of Fear. By that he means that fear is not
necessarily a nuisance to be ignored, denied,or stuffed away. Fear is a feeling that should
be acknowledged and then responded to as a
signal that there may be a problem or threat
that needs to be dealt with.

“Mental Rehearsal”, which is the fourth
key element of psychological preparedness
for combat survival is like “dry practice”.
It enables you to practice employing all
of the above techniques and your physical
and tactical training in your mind enough
times so that if the real deal ever transpires,
you are ready.

FOR FURTHER INFO HERE IS THE WEB SITE
http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/Eimer-Aug04.pdf

The Tactical Pistol,
explain the best defense against an attacker.
It’s a decisive, aggressive, lightning quick,
ruthless and vicious counter-attack that takes
your attacker by surprise.
In order to be ready, we must remain
ever on alert. As individuals, we can never
afford to let down our guard. So, you would
do well to etch the following ideas into your
subconscious mind: 1) I pay attention to
everything around me. 2) I let no one slip
through my guard. 3) If physically attacked,
I immediately counter-attack like a lion and destory my attacker.

In closing only person that can decide who is going to walk away is you.

"The society of late twentieth century America is perhaps the first in human history where most grown men do not routinely bear arms on their persons and boys are not regularly raised from childhood to learn skill in the use of some kind of weapon, either for community or personal defense - club or spear, broadsword or long bow, rifle or Bowie knife. It also happens to be one of the rudest and crudest societies in history, having jubilantly swept most of the etiquette of speech, table, dress, hospitality, fairness, deference to authority and the relations of male and female and child and elder under the fraying and filthy carpet of politically convenient illusions. With little fear of physical reprisal Americans can be as loud, gross, disrespectful, pushy, and negligent as they please. If more people carried rapiers at their belts, or revolvers on their hips, It is a fair bet you would be able to go to a movie and enjoy he dialogue from the screen without having to endure the small talk, family gossip and assorted bodily noises that many theater audiences these days regularly emit. Today, discourtesy is commonplace precisely because there is no price to pay for it."

Samuel Francis

matt g 08-21-2008 07:17 AM

Application, application, application.

BigO01 08-21-2008 09:03 AM

NO one is ever going to walk away from a gunfight , you may avoid a situation that looks like is going to turn violent or that gives you bad vibes but at those points it isn't a gunfight .

When the bullets start flying close to you , you have only two choices either pull your own gun and join in the frey or get behind some solid cover and start praying .

Some may consider minding your own business in a situation where you hear gunshots and turn and go in the other direction "walking away" I don't , I would no more charge around the block gun in hand to gunfire than I would kick down a neighbors door just because I heard a screaming coming from the home .

For all you know it's the cops in a fight and with the neighbor a women could have just been given a hugely expensive piece of jewelry as a present or won the lottery .

taseal 08-23-2008 05:49 AM

do anything you can to walk away from it. be the big person... I don't carry so if I see trouble, I just walk away. I hope to god I never have to kill someone

taseal 08-23-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigO01 (Post 37206)
NO one is ever going to walk away from a gunfight , you may avoid a situation that looks like is going to turn violent or that gives you bad vibes but at those points it isn't a gunfight .

When the bullets start flying close to you , you have only two choices either pull your own gun and join in the frey or get behind some solid cover and start praying .

Some may consider minding your own business in a situation where you hear gunshots and turn and go in the other direction "walking away" I don't , I would no more charge around the block gun in hand to gunfire than I would kick down a neighbors door just because I heard a screaming coming from the home .

For all you know it's the cops in a fight and with the neighbor a women could have just been given a hugely expensive piece of jewelry as a present or won the lottery .

the only time I won't pull away is if i'm being shot at, which I'll still try to run away...

RL357Mag 08-23-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taseal (Post 37500)
do anything you can to walk away from it. be the big person... I don't carry so if I see trouble, I just walk away. I hope to god I never have to kill someone

Ummmm, with what? Your hands?

taseal 08-23-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 37524)
Ummmm, with what? Your hands?

uhhh, a gun maybe?

RL357Mag 08-24-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taseal (Post 37500)
I don't carry so if I see trouble, I just walk away. I hope to god I never have to kill someone

well, it would seem you need to carry a gun before you can use a gun....

taseal 08-24-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 37620)
well, it would seem you need to carry a gun before you can use a gun....

good point :) lol

JPBeck 08-24-2008 04:02 PM

Nice write up thanks for taking the time.