What does SHTF mean to you? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

What does SHTF mean to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
SHTF –

I think the essential meaning of this term, on this board, is when society as we live it has broken down to taking care of yourself, your family and preparing to be able to do so for longer than a few hours during a power outage.

If you are warm and dry and safe with food in front of you and water to drink, while 15 miles away people are tearing each other apart to get to the last loaf of bread and peanut butter on a convenience store shelf, I would say perspective could change drastically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
With all due respect JD I believe your list to be more of an inconvenience that a SHTF scenario. I think of something of a nuclear or astrological event that will ultimately make us show the world what we are worth. The total breakdown of society as we now know it.
I tried to address that Joe. Each person is going to view their version of SHTF differently based on where they are at the time of the events happening TO THEM.

If you were white, and in Los Angeles when that riot broke out ala Reginald Denny, you might have a FAR different take on what SHTF means to you.

If the society around you, as you know and rely upon it, is no longer capable of providing such, you are on your own.

The degree to which you are on your own will be subjective to each person and the amount of SHTF feeling you have will be based, I believe, on exterior pressures that you can not control.

On foot on unfamiliar terrain? Probably not a big deal.

On foot on unfamiliar terrain trying to escape an area that has a pending natural disaster? Perhaps a little more serious.

On foot on unfamiliar terrain dragging a wounded or sick family member or buddy trying to escape a pending natural disaster? Probably even more serious.

Crossing unfamiliar terrain, with a wounded or hurt buddy, trying to escape a pending natural disaster while being chased by a rabid pack of Space Zombies and trying to fight off the first effects of a 48 flu virus?

Well. Everyone has a threshold where SHTF has officially been reached.

JD

Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
MGH

I think they are interchangeable; my family, for example, will be at our cabin fishing and growing potatoes while everyone else is fighting over the last bag of fritos.If someone tried breaking in to our cabin it would turn into a home-evasion scenario.

So I think the SHTF scenario might just be a combination of all the standard violent crimes we are seeing today.

Our initial instincts would be the same as right now: if we have supplies, we protect them; if we don't, we try taking them by force if needed.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I read thousands of posts of people looking for the famed "SHTF" gun, but in most cases I get the feeling these people use "SHTF" and self defense/home defense interchangeably. They say they want a SHTF gun, but then they describe their purpose and it looks to me like they actually want a home defense gun.

The following are my definitions that I have acquired over my years of shooting and being in LE.

To me-
SHTF
means total anarchy. Full blown Zombie alert and the "Y" virus has taken over. Martial law has been instated and the criminal element has over taken law enforcement. You now have to worry about being robbed anywhere you go and there is a good chance you are at war and must defend yourself/family around every corner. This is when you grab your SHTF weapon, the military carry an M4, cops carry AR's and me I'll probably grab my AR.

Home defense means just that. You are at home and some POS gets inside and you need to defend your family. This is not like SHTF where you can prepare to a certain point. You can't load extra mags, turn on a red dot sight, etc. This is grab and go, right now. Most people have a "night stand gun" for this. Me I have my 590 with a surefire forend loaded with 00.

Self defense is slightly different. This is when you go out in your everyday life and need to have something to protect yourself/family with if you are confronted with a threat. Most of the time this is a handgun concealed carry. This is a dark alley walking to your car and some dirtbag decides he wants your wallet and is going to hurt you to get it. Cops carry sidearms, me I carry an XD40 SC, a G22 or my new 1911 dependent on the situation.

What do these terms mean to you? Are they really interchangeable? To me you can own a multipurpose gun for all the situations above, but all the situations above are not the same. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? No. Does someone who wants a SHTF but needs a home defense going to get any different advice? No, but I just want to know what you guys think.
First off, I want to thank you for pointing out that a real SHTF scenario would involve zombies. I've been trying to warn people for a long time and now I see that some are thinking like me. Every gun purchase I make involves me asking myself: Is this accurate enough for headshots? Is it powerful enough do destroy a zombie's brain? Could I teach someone in my family to shoot it easily so they don't get eaten? Sadly, I do not own a rifle, and yes I know I am a douche for not getting one yet.
I have a Charles Daly 12 gauge with pistol grip for home defense, an XD .45 Tactical for personal defense, a Rossi .38 Special as a back-up, and a Smith & Wesson .40 cal to lend to a friend in need.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're driving through the Rocky Mountains, in the middle of no where. No Cell, No Phones, No CB and your car takes a crap...(SHTF)!

The Government decides it is going to confiscate firearms, large fixed blade, folding knives and swords; by force....(SHTF)!

There is a total collapse of society, anarchy ensues, all hell breaks loose....(SHTF)!

Or perhaps an asteroid, volcano, earthquake, flood or tidal wave. Take your pick!!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
First off, I want to thank you for pointing out that a real SHTF scenario would involve zombies. I've been trying to warn people for a long time and now I see that some are thinking like me. Every gun purchase I make involves me asking myself: Is this accurate enough for headshots? Is it powerful enough do destroy a zombie's brain? Could I teach someone in my family to shoot it easily so they don't get eaten? Sadly, I do not own a rifle, and yes I know I am a douche for not getting one yet.
I have a Charles Daly 12 gauge with pistol grip for home defense, an XD .45 Tactical for personal defense, a Rossi .38 Special as a back-up, and a Smith & Wesson .40 cal to lend to a friend in need.
all I gotta' say is "double tap" with buckshot and don't be gettin' stingy with the ammo.

as a bonus, there usually is no head left with a slug or a closer range buckshot...
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry for a bone headed question such as this but would someone please tell me what SHTF stands for exactly?

Thank you

Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Sorry for a bone headed question such as this but would someone please tell me what SHTF stands for exactly?

Thank you
Sh*t Hit The Fan - End of Days, it's you and yours against the savage beasts of the land......

Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sh*t Hit The Fan - End of Days, it's you and yours against the savage beasts of the land......

Thank you sir

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This one may be useful to know as well: TEOTWAWKI= The end of the world as we know it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
This one may be useful to know as well: TEOTWAWKI= The end of the world as we know it.
That already happened in the last presidential election.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."