What does it mean to you?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

What does it mean to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default What does it mean to you?

What does it mean to you to be a shooter and outdoors men? Beyond the zombies and defending ones self what does it mean to you?

For me it is about sharing a passion for a great sport. It is about being the guy on the firing line that sees another shooters struggling with something and going over and offering some advice or help. It is about having good fun with the whole family. It is about meeting new people at the range. It is about having a passion and love of something that can be passed down from generation to generation. It's about seeing the guy two benches down checking out your new AR and you saying here is 30 rounds you want to give it a go? It is about having a single mom neighbor stopping by to say hey my son wants to learn how to shoot would you be able to teach him how to shoot. It is about seeing the Eyes of a new shooter when the pull that trigger for the first time and hitting the target. It is about saving all your American Rifleman and American Hunter Mags to give to the neighbors son for him to read.

So lets here it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What does it mean to you to be a shooter and outdoors men? Beyond the zombies and defending ones self what does it mean to you?

For me it is about sharing a passion for a great sport. It is about being the guy on the firing line that sees another shooters struggling with something and going over and offering some advice or help. It is about having good fun with the whole family. It is about meeting new people at the range. It is about having a passion and love of something that can be passed down from generation to generation. It's about seeing the guy two benches down checking out your new AR and you saying here is 30 rounds you want to give it a go? It is about having a single mom neighbor stopping by to say hey my son wants to learn how to shoot would you be able to teach him how to shoot. It is about seeing the Eyes of a new shooter when the pull that trigger for the first time and hitting the target. It is about saving all your American Rifleman and American Hunter Mags to give to the neighbors son for him to read.

So lets here it.

How can you follow that... Tango you just accomplished a first you started a thread and then killed it in the same post..

""""lifting a cold one""" Outstanding my friend you ARE the man.

"Respect"

Scubie

Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well said Tango. Thumbs up.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8763 Times on 5237 Posts
Likes Given: 11634

For me, it gives me confidence and I feel strong when I shoot. My worries melt away when shooting, I feel empowered and in control and my ego gets a big boost. I don't feel helpless and buried under what life has dished out when I go shooting. I am exhilerated. It is a challenge to try to beat my personal best every time I shoot. I am new so I definitely learn something new every time I go. It is meeting new people and making friends who share the same passion. But mostly it makes me feel able to go back to my every day life with more confidence and courage.

The only other thing I can compare it to is when I had a horse. I'd take her out trail riding and it was so therpeutic to feel the rhythm of the horse's steps under me, to be out in the woods on a beautiful day. I would talk to my horse and just relax and feel happy and content. Shooting gives me the same comfort and relaxation.

Does that make any sense?

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-20-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Thumbs up here as well.

I will offer a few from a different perspective.

It means knowing that if you had to survive off the land, you know you will at least have red meat.

It means teaching the next generation to respect firearms and ethical hunting.

It means exercising one's right to 2A.

It means gun owners don't knock another gun owner's gun.

It means there is the freedom of we the citizens that cannot be refuted by big gubmit despite how hard they try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The chance to get away from everyone and go for a walk in nature by myself. There's nothing more relaxing than getting home from work or school and simply forgetting everything that had happened that day, grabbing the O/U and going for a walk down by the creek. I don't even need to fire a shot, just watching the water, insects, birds and frogs is plenty relaxing enough.

Another thing I like is the control. I don't mean that I feel tough because I have a gun and can kill, I mean that I have at my fingertips a precision instrument. Every input I make gives me tangible results. I have no idea why but that gives me great satisfaction

Great thread Tango

Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Very well stated Tango! You are indeed a much better, caring, selfless, empathetic man, than I can ever strive to possibly be myself.

** Kudos & much respect **

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For me, I love to shoot, I love to clean my guns, even when they aren't dirty! I have respect for firearms, for the potential lethality of them, the precision mechanics of the them. That respect, to me, also extends to my everyday dealing in life. Showing respect for others rights and feelings. I cherish every minute that I get to spend with my son teaching him how to shoot, just like my Pop taught me, I am lucky that I even have the very same pistol to teach my son with that Pops taught ME with! I love that! I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to start with the .22!
Being a gun owner and shooter also brings to light how fragile our rights are. Not just 2A, but all of them. Along with educating my son about firearms, I also educate him on the constitution and what being an American is all about!

Being a gun owner also makes me feel more like a TRUE RED BLOODED AMERICAN!!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Thumbs up here as well.

I will offer a few from a different perspective.

It means knowing that if you had to survive off the land, you know you will at least have red meat.

It means teaching the next generation to respect firearms and ethical hunting.

It means exercising one's right to 2A.

It means gun owners don't knock another gun owner's gun.

It means there is the freedom of we the citizens that cannot be refuted by big gubmit despite how hard they try.
Well said, and the bold is one of the main reasons I'm getting back into shooting/owning firearms.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3473 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

You pretty well summed it up. Good post!

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Newest Threads